Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ok guys I have quite a few problems with my '92 Toyota 4×4 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys I have quite a few problems with my '92 Toyota 4×4 pickup

I don't know really which problem to throw out there first, because for one I'm no ace mechanic but I will get in there and do what I gotta do lol. Any if you read this and are interested in helping me further it will be appreciated. If necessary I can post pics of my truck. So here goes for the first odd problem. Will a carburetor off of a Toyota Corolla work on my pickup? It was on the truck when I bought it. Went to buy a rebuild kit for my carburetor that's how I found out (after getting lucky and spotting a video on YouTube where the guy was showing his carburetor and mine was exactly the same) but has been slightly modified to mount where it should be. Bare with just sec longer because it was changed from, I want to say EFI to a carburetor, wiring harness is all zip tied and out of the way but the "brain" has been removedt, vacuum lines are all jacked up, and a manual fuel pump added also. Well like I said I have a lot of questions and really need advice. If further info is needed let me know and remember a lot more problems.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Yea sounds like somebody hacked it up pretty bad, did the PO do this hack job and can you find out why?? Yes pics off the carb and the harness,vacuum lines etc will help. Sounds like a mess to me but the more pics you can give the better and welcome!!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM

All that really know is that it all started because of a smashed fuel line that no one noticed and was throwing all kind of codes to the brain so he thought it was the brain and went bought a brand new one. Removed the "bad" one put new on same problem. So after (why he didn't trace all the fuel lines thoroughly and first) he decided to put a manual fuel pump and carburetor on it. Now he had someone supposedly with know how go through 3 other carburetors and tear them up. Finally said enough is enough and walls here we are.I believe he said he still has the brains and EFI to the truck. I'm in for the evening but will post some pics in the morning. I live in good old Oklahoma temp yesterday 70 or so today freaking cold lol thank you again. I know this has got to be a good truck have had many offers to buy it the way it is, but not wanting to sell although sometimes frustrated and feel like it lol.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Lets just say that if you are smart enough to figure out how to fix a hacked EFI to carburetor (?!) swap, then you're rich enough to just buy 5 or 6 brand new trucks.

There are a handful of people smart enough to figure out something like that, and one or two of them might put in the time just for "fun." I'm not in either category, but if I knew as little about the problem as you claim, I wouldn't put any more time into a 20-yr old truck.

Just one man's opinion ....
Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BluWolfe72
All that really know is that it all started because of a smashed fuel line that no one noticed and was throwing all kind of codes to the brain so he thought it was the brain and went bought a brand new one. Removed the "bad" one put new on same problem. So after (why he didn't trace all the fuel lines thoroughly and first) he decided to put a manual fuel pump and carburetor on it. Now he had someone supposedly with know how go through 3 other carburetors and tear them up. Finally said enough is enough and walls here we are.I believe he said he still has the brains and EFI to the truck. I'm in for the evening but will post some pics in the morning. I live in good old Oklahoma temp yesterday 70 or so today freaking cold lol thank you again. I know this has got to be a good truck have had many offers to buy it the way it is, but not wanting to sell although sometimes frustrated and feel like it lol.
IMHO, you might consider one of those offers to buy it the way it is.
It's sounds like a big can of worms.
But, lets see pic's.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 AM

The guy I bought the truck from is actually a really smart mechanic and does do a lot of things like that to sometimes just to see if he can. He work for American Airlines for about 30 yrs. as a mechanic. But because of some health problems he can't really get down in the thick of things any more or I'd just take out to the farm and have him help undo the mess lol. This guy is like a father to me so i dont think he savataged the truck, but i do think the guy he had to work on it for a short while, when he was having his surgery might done some stuff to the truck because "dad" said he tore up 3 carburetors. You think it would be worth my time to put all the original brain and fuel system back in. It should all be in tiptop shape because he's not the type to just junk stuff he has a shop he keepseverything put up! He also has two other Toyota trucks which one he drives on the farm and the other sits out in the bone yard for parts but I think its the six cylinder. Can I post a short video here that might be easier to explain some stuff about the truck?