86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil Seal Rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Seal Rant

Ok well my front oil seal was leaking a small amount after I replaced my timing chain so I decided it was time to replace it. I should have put a new one in with the timing chain but I didn't. That is another story.

I got a new Oil seal from Checker Auto parts for 16 bucks. I replaced it myself but I noticed I bent it a little installing it. Well It was midnight by then and I had early work so I just put it back together and I figured it would be ok. I was wrong. Then next day it started leaking after about 30min of driving. ALOT of oil!!!

I took the seal back to Checker and they were good enough to damage that one out and replace it FOR FREE! They even knew I was the one that broke the seal in the first place and they still replaced it!! I am becoming a Checker fan at this point. They had not obligation to do that.

Well I really didn't want to replace the seal on my own again because I didn't want to break another one. They guy at Checker said he didnt have the tool or the know-how to do it so I took the new seal and the Oil Pump to Auto Zone.

One of the guys at Auto Zone looked at it for a minuet and then went back and grabbed some tools. He tapped the seal in place with a round piece of aluminum and a rubber mallet. He did a great job and it looked like it was seated all of the way. I was satisfied and ready to leave.

Here is where the fun started. Some other Auto Zone guy looks at it and says it's not seated all of the way. He grabs a METAL hammer and proceeds to beat the life out of my Oil pump/seal. I couldnt believe what I was seeing. After he finished I look one look at it and I saw the bends in the seal I knew it was toast. I told the guy right then it was ruined. He told me to install it to "see if it leaks." YEAH RIGHT. I am not going to put my whole truck back together just to "See if it leaks!" I want things done right. I had an hour drive to make the next day. Not worth the risk. The guy told me he would replace it if there was a problem and ordered yet another seal in for me. whatever

I left the store still in shock. I drove straight to TOYOTA to have their guys take a look. One of the old-time techs took one look at my seal and said it was junk. I paid $20 for a dealer part and they were even nice enough to install it in my oil pump for free. Good guys. Has not leaked a drop. (this all happened about 2 weeks ago)

I went back to Auto Zone to have him refund me on the seal they ruined and they started giving me excuses. They told me when the manager would be in and so I left in came back to talk to him the next day. He wasn't there. I told the "Assistant Manager" that their poor serivce just lost them a customer. I had almost burned that 16 bucks in gas coming back to them AGAIN. He just threw is hands in the air and just went on about how he would have to explain his actions the next day. What actions? Fixing a stupid employee's mistake and saving a customer. What a jerk.

I told him he just lost alot more than $16 in business between me and the people I would be telling this story to. I will never go to that AutoZone again if that is how they choose to to buisness. I threw the damaged seal in the trash and walked out. I know it is only $16 but it is the principal behind the situation. They damaged my property and wouldnt make restitution. What if that damaged seal would have lead to a seized engine on my trip?

I am becoming more of a Checker customer these days. Just the week before all of this Autozone had pissed me off over another issue.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Chutchman; 05-25-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't like auto zone either seems like i always have trouble with them. i like to support local business and have a local parts store that i use. the customer service is great, they know me by name, and most of the time stuff is cheaper, if not they will beat the other price. another nice benefit is that they is a couple of retired mechanics that work there and not just another parts monkey. also many local shops use this parts store and its not uncommon for a mechanic to be hanging out, drinking coffee, and telling lies. they are always interested in mechanical problems and a great source of info.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, local Autozone pissed me off also. It took 3 brake calipers till I got one that didn't leak. The first one leaked where the 2 halves are bolted together (counter dip said that I may have voided the warranty by paiting it black), second one didn't have the brass o-ring installed for the brake line to seal againt (counter dip told me it's not supposed to, even though the original, 1st and eventually 3rd replacement did) . . . I filed a complaint with corporate online. 2 days later the manager called me and left a message (I ignored it) 2 days after that the district manager called and left a message with his cell #