Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Oil Pump Spline Timing Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pump Spline Timing Cover?

Ive done a search already...some say put oil spline on first before timing cover goes on and some say put it on after timing cover is on..In main two writeups that most refer to 1 says put it on before 1 says after timing cover is on..looking for anyone can help..also I bought the LC timing kit which converts over to double chain..comes with new spline..oil pump..water pump everything..but before i put this back together looking for best way so I dont mess gaskets up..didnt pull head and i dropped the bottom two oil pan bolts...thanx....G
Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eeesh, its been awile, but when i did mine i attemted to install my cover with the pump intact. i slapped myself really hard when i messed up the head gasket. i remember my thinking at the time was that i should have left the pump off and installed after the cover was on but now im not even sure if that would work.

im happy i pulled the head and put a fresh new gasket in though, nice reasurrance
Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I dealt with this twice in a year. I installed the spline gear then the cover with the oil pump already installed. It's just so much easier, IMHO, to install the h20 pump and oil pump while the timing cover is on the bench(Don't forget the top/center oil pump mounting bolt get's sealant ). THE TRICK, which causes problems for people, is that when you install the cover with the spline gear on there already..... it almost NEVER lines up without some drama. SO, what I did, personally, which worked just fine was, .... I had a very small straight pick ready, and when I slid it on, slowly, I turned the oil pump drive gear with the pick until it began to slide over the spline. THEN I began to tap it in over the dowels and QUICKLY get the bolts in, in sequence and incremental tighten-sequence thereafter.

It also helps to have the AC mounting bracket ready,then, after the cover is in place, BARELY tightened bolts into the block, first, then install the ac/bracket timing bolts, saving the last couple pounds tighten sequence for 10min after going to 5# and 20# on the 9# and 29# 8M and 10M bolts.

DO NOT forget to put a dab in the corners(Head/Block/Timing cover)/(Timing Cover/Oil Pan chunk that you most likely shaved out with a razor, right?).... and I mean a DAB, not blob/on the head/cover/block corners. (A lil bead, really). Also, don't forget the hidden bolt the minute you get it torqued down on the face. ALSO, don't forget the dab of RTV on each oil pan bolt, yeah? AND, ........don't be paranoid, but without removing the pan, completely, I'd be REALLLLLLLLY careful, s'all...... That's a bit of work to then have to pull the head/and/or/pan, anyhow, ya know? This makes the oil pump drive spline a bit more tricky.... As you're trying to angle the cover on, the spline gear REALLY gets in the way(when doing it the way you are, w/out removing the head/pan.)... SO, I would probably keep the pick handy and a deep socket for the tapping in of the spline gear(or SOMETHING that would work), then, when sliding the spline in, lightly use the pic to turn the oil pump drive gear until it slides over the spline....... Yeah, thinking about it, that would SEEM, if doable, to be much less dramatic when trying to get the cover in place with the head and pan still pretty much in place.

PS> TINY film on those timing cover gaskets, IMHO. It's held very well for me, while a BLOB that my moron machinist I used the first time caused me 'TAIL CHASING FOR MONTHS!' lol.

Best wishes, man!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Interesting I find it just the other way easier to install the oil pump with the timing chain cover on the engine.

But I find it easier to install the seal before putting the oil pump on.

What ever works best for you.

Then again if you change oil pumps with the timing cover still on it is a no brainer
Old 12-06-2011, 08:11 AM

the head gasket where it meets the front of the timing cover..specifically the hole in the head gasket where the hidden bolt goes in..does it serve any purpose..its cant be for compression as its past where the head seals and is open..reason i ask is it got a little pinched when trying to put cover back on..i took cover back off as it seems the little hole got pinched and pushed back a little..if its damaged can the FIPG just fill in that spot? thanx..twice ive put it on and both times that little hole is the hold up..i cant see any purpose for it other than as a gasket between the timing cover and engine as i said its already past the head....thanx....G
Old 12-06-2011, 08:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Vette,

That chain slings oil all over, that's why, when sometimes the HG get's pinched, people develop hard to chase leaks. The hidden bolt pulls the timing cover/front of HG(Hollow outline) together and keeps them tight. The HG itself has a film of graphite/etc. on there, which compresses to form a seal(u don't use sealant on that portion, and it's not BATHING in oil... just has oil dripping down it, across that thin portion of the HG.

So,.... The 'hole'...where the hidden bolt hole portion of the HG meets the timing cover/outside of the chain, right??
Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 AM

yea its that hole..everytime i put cover back on it pinches that hole and that little portion of the gasket backwards a little so it doesnt line up with the hidden bolt going in from the top. if i replaced that section with the FIPG wouldnt it compress the same once the bolt goes in and tightens it down? that small section of the head gasket is starting to deform a little and im not sure what kind of seal its going to give..thanx....G