Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Oil problems on 86 4runner

Old 04-25-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil problems on 86 4runner

Dont really know where to post this to ask about it so ill put it here for now. \

im a bit confused on something with the 4Runner and was wondering if anyone has had any similar symptoms.

Heres the problem, youd think that when you pull the dipstick out and check it youll see if youre low oil or not. well it isnt on mine. ive had this problem before and the guy i took it to tried to put something in the oil to seal the pan or places if it was leaking. it worked. but the problem is that i can check the stick, put some in it and the it still reads right at low but its running fine. its not leaking but if it was it would still have different readings after you put oil back in it. but if anyone has had this problem please let me know how you fixed it. thanks
Old 04-25-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about.

If you add oil, you are going to have different readings than before. Also if you check the oil right after you shut off the engine, your reading will be off because the oil has to drain back from the head and other places in the engine back into the oil pan.

Are you saying you are low on oil but the engine runs fine?
- Always add oil to the full mark.

How much oil are you adding? If you only add a little oil, it will still read low.

Is your dipstick the correct one for your engine?

Are you saying the engine had external oil leaks before and the guy you took your truck put something in the oil to seal it up? (Which is NEVER a good way to seal something that is leaking.)

Does the engine consume oil (burn oil)?

I have no idea until we get more information.

Sorry

Old 04-25-2016, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about.

If you add oil, you are going to have different readings than before. Also if you check the oil right after you shut off the engine, your reading will be off because the oil has to drain back from the head and other places in the engine back into the oil pan.

Are you saying you are low on oil but the engine runs fine?
- Always add oil to the full mark.

How much oil are you adding? If you only add a little oil, it will still read low.

Is your dipstick the correct one for your engine?

Are you saying the engine had external oil leaks before and the guy you took your truck put something in the oil to seal it up? (Which is NEVER a good way to seal something that is leaking.)

Does the engine consume oil (burn oil)?

I have no idea until we get more information.

Sorry

Thanks for your reply and Im not tryin to be a smarta** but i know how to check my oil, i know how to fill it up and change it and all this and that when your engine is hot youll get inaccurate readings and yes its the correct dipstick thats been with it for the past 30 years. but what my problem is is that the dipstick is acting like its not wanting to read it correctly.
When the guy i took it to tried sealing it up the first time(it done the same exact thing that im talking about) he put some kind of sealant in the oil, it seemed to work cause it didnt show low again. but the thing is there is no leaks under it, its not oily in the exaust and even if it was leaking oil the dipstick should show a different reading everytime, especially right after you put some back in.

But yesterday i checked it while the engine was cold before i went to get some gas, it showed low like right on the line low. Rechecked it a couple times, still low. put about half a court of oil back in, checked it, still shows low. Drove it and got it warm, checked it, low. drove to school and when i got out checked it, low still. No light comes on when im driving to show its low or anything either.

Ive never heard of this happening to anyone before so i dont understand whats going on with it and i dont want to put a bunch in and it not read right and mess the motor up. and the last time it did it and was showing low one time i checked it, i drove it probably about 100 miles later that night with no problems no nothing. So thanks for your reply and any help will do
Old 04-25-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by 86 87 4Runners
Thanks for your reply and Im not tryin to be a smarta** but i know how to check my oil, i know how to fill it up and change it and all this and that when your engine is hot youll get inaccurate readings and yes its the correct dipstick thats been with it for the past 30 years. but what my problem is is that the dipstick is acting like its not wanting to read it correctly.
I only said that because I was not sure of your automotive knowledge.

When you checked the oil, was it right on the low mark or below?

Just to be sure, are you making sure the dipstick goes all of the way back into the tube?

Next time you check the oil with the engine cold and the level right on the low line, put one quart of oil in. Then check the dipstick a minute or two after putting the quart in without starting the engine. The oil should be at or very near the full mark. If it isn't, and there are no obvious leaks, then I am stumped too.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
I only said that because I was not sure of your automotive knowledge.

When you checked the oil, was it right on the low mark or below?

Just to be sure, are you making sure the dipstick goes all of the way back into the tube?

Next time you check the oil with the engine cold and the level right on the low line, put one quart of oil in. Then check the dipstick a minute or two after putting the quart in without starting the engine. The oil should be at or very near the full mark. If it isn't, and there are no obvious leaks, then I am stumped too.

yea its in all the way. and ill try it tomorrow but i dont want to over fill it or nothin. and yes its right on the line basically like thats where it stays
Old 04-26-2016, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 86 87 4Runners
yea its in all the way. and ill try it tomorrow but i dont want to over fill it or nothin. and yes its right on the line basically like thats where it stays
From the low mark to the full mark is typically one quart.