Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil pressure and trannie temp sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil pressure and trannie temp sensors

All
I am finishing up putting in a) oil pressure sensor and b) trannie temp sensors, for the respective guages. This is for a 92, 3.o liter. I know there are write ups, but am having a hard time finding pics, and I am LAAAZZZY and would like some pics to save time.
To wit, does anyone have pics of:
1) The engine plugs on the drivers side where you can place the oil pressure sensor (I know it is essentially next to the temp plug). By the way, do you have to drain the oil to do this?
2) Where they hooked up their trans temp sensor (I know it needs to go in the "hot" tube.
THANKS!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On #2) splice in after the ATF hard line to the cooler switches to a soft line. Just cut the soft line and insert your sender block inline. Here's a pic of the sender block I made with part from the hardware store:

Make sure you don't block the flow path though the block with the sender:

Also if your sender doesn't have 2 wires you will probably have to add a ground wire to the sender (some gauges rely on the sender being grounded into a pan or other engine part) and by putting the sender into the rubber ATF hose it will not be grounded.

Ok on #1) I'm not sure on the 3.0, but on the 3.4 which in many ways has the same block, it can go into this port with the oil dripping out of it (and no you don't have to drain the oil out, it justs drips a little bit)

My guess is you could also use that port just to the right of it, below the factory oil pressure sender, or for that matter you could remove the factory oil pressure sender and put it there or I've even seen ways of putting 2 senders into one port too.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-03-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:21 AM

MtG...That's exactly the sage input I needed. Thanks! I know it's a long shot, but do you remember the size of the hardware you used for the sending block?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Squiddy
MtG...That's exactly the sage input I needed. Thanks! I know it's a long shot, but do you remember the size of the hardware you used for the sending block?
I think the hose barb fittings were 3/8", take a small piece of ATF hose in with you and try it on the barb. Of course use hose clamps too. Also take your sender in to match up the threads of that with a "T" . If you look closely you can tell I used an adapter on my sender so I could use a bigger "T". Bigger means less restriction (better flow).

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-03-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
... I've even seen ways of putting 2 senders into one port too.
Here's more on that:
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51052

It is ok to quote ones self isn't it?

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-03-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:54 PM

I don't know...I get in enough trouble without duplicating it by quoting me...

Regarding the oil pressure port, from what I have read, the port behind the existing oil pressure sensor can be replaced with the Autometer sensor/adaptor without needing to get another one.

Now this may be lame, but which trannie hose is which (I know, get off my ass and stick my hands in there!)?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Squiddy

Now this may be lame, but which trannie hose is which (I know, get off my ass and stick my hands in there!)?
Here's the scoop on Toyota trannies, the hot ATF line is the one that comes out of the tranny closest to the front (where the torque converter is) and the cool line is the one that returns back near the rear of the pan. So what good does that do you, you ask? You have to follow the hot hardline from the tranny up to the radiator area without mixing them up hehe. Then once you get it figured out, label it with a piece of tape or something.

Or you can take off one line while a friend starts the engine and see where the ATF is streaming out from. That can get messy though.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-gauge-137722/

post 10 and 19

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-gage-127336/

post 6
Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 AM

OK so the new electric oil pressure gauge uses a 1/8th NPT sender, which I believe actually matches the hole in the block so I wouldn't need an adaptor, right?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 AM

Update:
1) Its OK to put the new pressure sensor in the forward hole (where you can see oil leaking out above) -- there is no valve/ball/spring in there. The more rearward plug is a bitch to get out as shallower allen socket.
2) You DONT need to buy adaptors (at least for my engine) as the Autometer gauge kit comes with a 1/8 NPT adaptor

More to follow
Old 09-11-2008, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys i got a 91 3.0l engine (3vz-e engine) ive got a oil leak coming from some steel pipes on the drivers side (keep in mind this is a LHD) one of the pipes looks like it runs from the transmission all the way to the front of the engine, but sort of half way theres a bracket that holds the 2 steel pipes hard up against the engine, i believe theres a leak coming from one of then. Can u tell me what these pipes are for, there located just abit up from the sump
Old 09-11-2008, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimbos_4runner
hey guys i got a 91 3.0l engine (3vz-e engine) ive got a oil leak coming from some steel pipes on the drivers side (keep in mind this is a LHD) one of the pipes looks like it runs from the transmission all the way to the front of the engine, but sort of half way theres a bracket that holds the 2 steel pipes hard up against the engine, i believe theres a leak coming from one of then. Can u tell me what these pipes are for, there located just abit up from the sump
Sounds like the auto tranny cooler lines.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:02 AM

Ok, here's the pics...

Dash install:

Routing through firewall. This time I ran sensor wires through gasket which also holds the hood release cable (pre applying split loom):

I routed wires for both sensors through split loom down to new oil pressure sensor:

A bit snug for the steering pump hoses, but OK:

Various shots of transmission temp sensor install (BTW, Mt. Goat correct -- the forward hard line from trannie housing is the hot one (hinted at by fact that high temp sendor unit sits right next to it), and this routes thru to the soft line going into the driver's side port on the radiator):

Shockingly, they all work!