Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil Pan Removal--What else should I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pan Removal--What else should I replace?

90 4Runner, 22re, 4x4, 5-speed, stock suspension, 190,000mi

So I need to pull my oil pan: Found plastic in my last oil change--opened up the valve cover, and the timing chain is new, guides in tact--had a mechanic verify this.

Conclusion: The PO swapped the chain and guides without dropping the pan.

I want to do this right, and clean everything out--not mention get rid of the oil leak from the POS aftermarket drain plug that is installed.

I have been reading up on the oil pan swap--there seems to be an endless list of threads, with varying degress of info. Best I found so far was from AllCammedUp:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/o...kup-how-14413/

Since I have the 4x4, and no body lift, I am going to have to lower the front differential. Any suggestions on things I should replace while I have things torn down?

I did all four shocks, upper/lower ball joints (Thank you pickle fork, BFH, and tie rod puller) last year and refurbished my idler arm (bushings and grease)--that was my budget limit at the time.

The tie rod ends and the pitman arm all have cracked boots--though they are not bone dry.

I checked in on the Relay Rod recall to see if I could get the pitman and tie-rods done for free--but alas, the PO already got the rod done, and apparently just the rod

Suggestions welcomed. I am basically going to put my truck in the backyard, and take my time with this. I am over taking my truck to a mechanic only to feel ripped off and hopeless. I know this is going to be a big project, but I am up for it.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually have the pan off my truck right now, it is not hard at all, I just unbolted the front diff from the drive line and x member and lowered it, it is still bolted to the axles. If there was junk in the pan, then I would at least plastiguage the bearings to make sure they were not oil starved from the pickup getting temporarily blocked, but they are so cheap, you might as well do them anyway. Then, since you are there, why not change the diff fluid.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by James Woods
I actually have the pan off my truck right now, it is not hard at all, I just unbolted the front diff from the drive line and x member and lowered it, it is still bolted to the axles. If there was junk in the pan, then I would at least plastiguage the bearings to make sure they were not oil starved from the pickup getting temporarily blocked, but they are so cheap, you might as well do them anyway. Then, since you are there, why not change the diff fluid.
I changed the diff fluid about 8 months ago. Good idea about the plastiguage.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
You might also try pumping a little grease into the old tie rods with a grease needle. Might buy you some time before they wear out from lack of lube.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RustBucket
You might also try pumping a little grease into the old tie rods with a grease needle. Might buy you some time before they wear out from lack of lube.
I grease mine every September that way in anticipation of hunting season!

Just make sure to use FIPG or "the right stuff" seal packing on the oil pan.