Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Oil leaking from catalytic converter?! *pics*

Old 06-05-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Oil leaking from catalytic converter?! *pics*

More than likely its the piston rings right? No other way around this but a rebuild?

Name:  oilleak003.jpg
Views: 4483
Size:  86.2 KB
Name:  oilleak002.jpg
Views: 5038
Size:  84.2 KB
Name:  oilleak004.jpg
Views: 4180
Size:  81.3 KB
Name:  oilleak001.jpg
Views: 6566
Size:  90.3 KB
Old 06-05-2010, 09:10 AM

Oh a little more detail, my truck is a 91 w/ 22re..It had the infamous surging idle for a couple of weeks, then the idle would surge even faster when i pressed on the brake, coolant was disappearing, and just two days ago I was driving it and was missing bad, then POP radiator was leaking by the cap, steam every where, pulled over and got it towed home

So i replaced the radiator, belts, and hoses and fired it up, here's what happened, coolant leaking from exhaust manifold..took the heat shield off and noticed a stud completely missing!

I've got the valve cover off now and there are no signs of water in it at all

Last edited by joeynational; 06-05-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure thats not water coming out of the "leaking" caddy converter gaskets? If it is its normal.

If pressing the brake affected engine speed in anyway theres vacuum leak in the brake booster vacuum line from it to the manifold or inside the booster Diaphram it self which at that point it needs replacing.

Coolant leaking from the exhaust manifold? Your sure? Coolant does not run through the exhaust system.... "Check Oil" If milky white theres an issue with either (blown head gasket/cracked head/cracked block) <-- this could have happened when or if you ran it hot. though you did say you had the valve cover off and saw no "water" or "coolant?"

How is it running now? Is there oil in the intake? Intake hose from throttle body to AFM? Check PCV valve. If its for sure oil comming out the exhaust it could be leaking exhaust valve stem seals and or blow by from rings. Does it smoke when you start it or when itss running? "blue/gray" "black" "white" <-- which color smoke?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Sure thats not water coming out of the "leaking" caddy converter gaskets? If it is its normal.

If pressing the brake affected engine speed in anyway theres vacuum leak in the brake booster vacuum line from it to the manifold or inside the booster Diaphram it self which at that point it needs replacing.

Coolant leaking from the exhaust manifold? Your sure? Coolant does not run through the exhaust system.... "Check Oil" If milky white theres an issue with either (blown head gasket/cracked head/cracked block) <-- this could have happened when or if you ran it hot. though you did say you had the valve cover off and saw no "water" or "coolant?"

How is it running now? Is there oil in the intake? Intake hose from throttle body to AFM? Check PCV valve. If its for sure oil comming out the exhaust it could be leaking exhaust valve stem seals and or blow by from rings. Does it smoke when you start it or when itss running? "blue/gray" "black" "white" <-- which color smoke?
its definitely oil, and regular looking oil too, like you would see on a dipstick no water in it at all

well the coolant wasn't leaking from the exhaust manifold but behind it, from the exhaust ports i guess, did you see the video above, you can see the coolant leaking and get an idea of how its running, i have it apart right now, but when it was running no smoke, just when it was a little cooler out I would get allot of steam from the tail pipe, enough that it would leave a wet spot on the ground, never did that before. and when i say cooler i don't mean 30s-40s i mean AZ cooler like 75 first thing in the morning

There is also oil in the intake manifold, havn't looked into the intake hose yet
Name:  ticket010.jpg
Views: 4119
Size:  90.6 KB

Here is the back of my TB
Name:  ticket007.jpg
Views: 3738
Size:  100.0 KB

Last edited by joeynational; 06-05-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:36 AM

I tried to watch the vid but its choppy for me.

Yea thats oil in the intake manifold and throttle body for sure... fresh too.

Check the PCV valve before you go anyfurther unless you just want to tear it apart and clean it out. If the PCV is stuck then thats prob the issue but theres alot of oil there. It seems to be alot of "blow-by."

How long has this been going on with the oil issue? Does it consume oil? Or do you notice?

Water out the tail pipe is normal as H2O is one of the bi-products of combustion.

Last edited by Kiroshu; 06-05-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 AM

its never consumed oil, i check it maybe once a month and was always good. When the steam was coming out of the tail pipe it was ALLOT and it has never done it before, i also noticed it had the antifreeze, "sweet" smell

Do you think the oil in cat has damaged it? would I have to replace the cat and even the 02 sensor?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Time to rebuild, new cat and sensor......that's pretty nasty.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Time to rebuild, new cat and sensor......that's pretty nasty.
I just bought that damn sensor too! You can't clean em off?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's not really advised. O2 sensors are pretty sensitive to solvents and contaminants. I didn't realize it was new, though. Maybe hang on it, install when you're done, see if it works, if it doesn't, then replace it. No biggie, eh.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:38 PM

If you do try cleaning the o2 sensor make sure to use the right cleaner . regular carb cleaner is not made for throttle bodies or o2 sensors.

Last edited by swampfox; 06-05-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:34 PM

what is the right cleaner
Old 06-06-2010, 08:58 AM

a throttle body cleaner . it will say on the can if it is safe to use on fuel injection systems. carb cleaner can damage fuel injection components. just get a good brand of cleaner ,the wal-mart brand of cleaner is pretty sorry stuff.

Last edited by swampfox; 06-06-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:01 PM

DONOT CLEAN O2 SENSORS! It will contaminate them. You are to never clean them or they will never "read" correctly again. Replace a contaminated O2 sesnor always. Now about the cat... Well the cat buring the oil up in it is not any good for it and can make it a "bad" cat. You can try blowing it out but i would not worry too much. If it gets totally clogged you will know from the massive power loss to possible "no-start" condition. Sounds like a blown head gasket or worse... cracked head... If its got oil and coolant out the tail pipe its highly possible its a head gasket/cracked head, or a crack block. Did you run it hot? <-- Don't lie as it will help with diagnositics.) The oil coming out the intake could be a diff issue along with the sweet smell and oil out the tail pipe... PCV system? PCV in the truck at all? I think your next step is a compression test. Do you have a vacuum gauge?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
DONOT CLEAN O2 SENSORS! It will contaminate them. You are to never clean them or they will never "read" correctly again. Replace a contaminated O2 sesnor always. Now about the cat... Well the cat buring the oil up in it is not any good for it and can make it a "bad" cat. You can try blowing it out but i would not worry too much. If it gets totally clogged you will know from the massive power loss to possible "no-start" condition. Sounds like a blown head gasket or worse... cracked head... If its got oil and coolant out the tail pipe its highly possible its a head gasket/cracked head, or a crack block. Did you run it hot? <-- Don't lie as it will help with diagnositics.) The oil coming out the intake could be a diff issue along with the sweet smell and oil out the tail pipe... PCV system? PCV in the truck at all? I think your next step is a compression test. Do you have a vacuum gauge?
The truck had the disappearing coolant trick for a while, I would keep tabs on it and refill as needed, my gauge never got out of normal. I guess i did run it hot, because when i was driving it I heard a POP and steam started coming out from the hood, pulled over and it was coming out by the neck of the radiator fill

It does have PCV i replaced it about 4 years ago when i did the HG the first time. I don't have a vacuum gauge, but i might go pick one up along with some other tools cuz it Looks like I have to fully rebuild it this time instead of just a HG. Ahhh its so frustrating almost makes me want to sell my truck!

Whats an average cost for a rebuild anyway? I will be doing most of the work myself, might just have the machine shop build the short block
Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 PM

Before you do anything else can you get us any compression test results? If you ran it hot its a hi chance or: Head Gasket/Cracked head/Cracked block.

Well if you rebuild it your self using OEM parts it will cost in parts 200-500$. Thats if the head and block are good.

A machine shop rebuild may cost a penny and just in labor may cost as much in labor as your at home rebuild parts$.