86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil leak from air compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak from air compressor?

In the last few months I had the AC system on my 88 Pickup serviced. A ruptured line was replaced and the system charged.

It appears now that when I run the system I get some oil drips on the skid plate that appear to be coming from or near the compressor. The truck never leaked oil prior to this.

Is the engine oil system tied to the compressor? Or, does it have its own supply?

Are there any oil lines near the compressor that could have been damaged?

The shop that did the work was a bit sloppy in leaving a bolt completely lose.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
One of the AC bracket bolts secures into block left improperly tightened would allow a leak. That bracket is integral to engine integrity.

:wabbit2:
Old 09-14-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The air ac system has oil added to the system when it is serviced. If it is leaking oil it would be leaking freon also. Is the system still cooling the same ? If it is the oil could be from another source.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:05 AM

It is cooling ok, not great, but cooling as well as it was when I picked it up. Would a freon leak be detectable visually?

Where is the mounting bolt located? Under the compressor? If it was tightened improperly would the leak be caused by a ruptured gasket?

I don't believe they removed the compressor, just the line and added freon.

So the compressor has its own oil and is not connected to engine oil?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by CaliToyo
It is cooling ok, not great, but cooling as well as it was when I picked it up. Would a freon leak be detectable visually? Yes and no... most refrigerants are clear, so you wouldn't really see the refrigerant. You could see oil carried through the system at the point of the leak, which would be just an oily residue type liquid, usually clear-ish in color. That said, there are leak detecting dyes added to some cans of refrigerant and you could see about adding a can to the system to check for a leak. These are available almost any parts store and even walmart. **Make sure you need to add refrigerant before you add the dye though, too much pressure could cause a leak instead of just showing where one was.**

Where is the mounting bolt located? Under the compressor? If it was tightened improperly would the leak be caused by a ruptured gasket? Follow the A/C lines and check all hose holders/clamps for loose bolts. If it is just a bolt into the block then there isn't a "gasket" to rupture. If there is a bolt loose somewhere you could consider pulling it out and using a thread sealant/locker before you put it back in place, solves the loose bolt and the leaking oil problem.

I don't believe they removed the compressor, just the line and added freon.

So the compressor has its own oil and is not connected to engine oil? Yes, the A/C compressor has its own oil (usually PAG oil/ND-# oil or similar with newer refrigerants) and they may not have added any if all the shop did was change a line and recharge the system. Typical oil used for the compressor is clear or very slightly colored if at all, so if the liquid you are seeing is dark and makes you think motor oil, I wouldn't be looking for an A/C leak necessarily.

Thanks.
Hope that helps. If not, keep an eye for some of the way more wise folks to chip in when they get a chance. Either way, hope you get it all sorted out!