86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil Disappearing over short mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Oil Disappearing over short mileage

have a 91 toyota with a 22re and seems to be going through alot of oil. Daily driver and can go about 100 miles 30-60 mph and will use a half a quart. Running Castrol 10w30 high mileage engine oil. Just recently replaced the valve cover gasket and engine oil pan gasket,plugs , rotor, distibutor cap, plug wires, fuel filter. when i went to change the plugs one was cross-threaded so i had to tap it out to get the plug to go all the way in. Before the plug wasnt threaded all the way in the head. (could this cause a burnt valve)? Doesnt seem to be leaking. (park in a garage everynight so its monitored very close). Just wondering where else to look. No smoke out of the exhaust, idles a little rough once it gets warmed up. seems to have a little power loss but not a lot. 213000 miles with a new clutch, transmission and the 4wd just being rebuilt. Would a guy be alright to rebuild the head and re-seat all the valves or would this make it burn oil on the lower end? Thinking it might be my valve seal but not sure. Any Ideas?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Like an old Latin student those engines slowly just decline over time and burn oil, especially if you aren't seeing any leakage. If you are noticing other symptoms of which you speak might be time for a rebuild.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Like an old Latin student those engines slowly just decline over time and burn oil, especially if you aren't seeing any leakage. If you are noticing other symptoms of which you speak might be time for a rebuild.

figured i might do a compression test this weekend and just see how that comes out.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
have you checked the pcv to see if it is plugged ?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by swampfox
have you checked the pcv to see if it is plugged ?

would that make it use that much oil?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if it is plugged in can build up crank case pressure and cause it to use more. I know a guy who's ford truck used several quarts of oil going from ar. to Florida and a quart coming back after changing the valve. but the valve is easy to check and it doesn't hurt to try the simple stuff first.

Last edited by swampfox; 02-19-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by swampfox
if it is plugged in can build up crank case pressure and cause it to use more. I know a guy who's ford truck used several quarts of oil going from ar. to Florida and a quart coming back after changing the valve. but the valve is easy to check and it doesn't hurt to try the simple stuff first.

ok, thanks i will check this out and get one just to make sure thats not the problem. Engine seems to run pretty good other that the oil dissapearing.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:34 PM

That's alot of usage, maybe try some 10W40 or even 20W50 and see how it fares? Other than that it could be close to needing a rebuild so, by running a thicker oil it might buy you some time.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:18 PM

Well I did a compression test tonight. 3 cylinders at 165-170 and one cylinder at 136. so i added a little engine oil to the low compression cylinder and this brought my compression up with the other three cylinders. From what i can tell this means that the rings are bad on that particular piston??? so i guess its time for a rebuild?? Is everyone boring out the block or just putting back to the factory specs if when they rebuild one?? Might pull the motor tommorow and see what i have to work with. Anyone got a good place to get a rebuild kit? Need to get everything tore down and see what it all looks like.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:47 AM

Well i have pulled and dis-assembled the engine. After pricing parts/machine work it is cheaper to buy a rebuilt engine. My main bearings were showing copper and that tells me that it was due for a rebuild on the lower end. Nothing looked to bad on the pistons so it must have been in the valve train. i just placed and order for an Oregon Engine adn thought i would beef it up a little and get the "Super Stock" supposed to be a 140 hp vs the factory 116. after visiting with them on the phone they dyno the super stock motor. Also comes with a higher output oil pump as well.

Does anyone have good or bad about this motor? i have searched but everything i see is low miles. How are these holding up in higher mileage?

Lifetime Warranty to original owner how do you go wrong?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was that one plug fouled with oil at all? I am having insane amounts of oil loss but I can't pinpoint all of it. Its leaking a little at the rear of the head somewhere. Was leaking at the oil pan but I fixed that. Can't find any other leaks, and the head leak just doesn't seem like it could leak as much as it is. But.. None of my plugs are fouled nor does the exhaust of the color or smell of burning oil.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Was that one plug fouled with oil at all? I am having insane amounts of oil loss but I can't pinpoint all of it. Its leaking a little at the rear of the head somewhere. Was leaking at the oil pan but I fixed that. Can't find any other leaks, and the head leak just doesn't seem like it could leak as much as it is. But.. None of my plugs are fouled nor does the exhaust of the color or smell of burning oil.

no plugs fouled at all. the leak at the rear is probably the valve cover. from my experience the u-shaped gasket in the back of the valve cover is were it usually leaks. you might check your pcv valve and see if its plugged. my truck was not smoking at all.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forgot to mention that I did put silicone sealant on the half-moon plug, which is recommended by TOYOTA, afaik.
Didnt mean to hijack. Was just wondered mainly if yours was smoking and if the plug was fouled. Thank you.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:04 PM

no smoking and no fouling on my engine.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:06 AM

Well officialy got the Oregon Engine Running yesterday. Lots of work but looks very clean under the hood now and runs great. i bought the super stock engine but havent turned up the timing enought to tell any differance.