Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Oh oh, Houston we have a problem (Head Gasket??)

Old 01-07-2013, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh oh, Houston we have a problem (Head Gasket??)

I may or may not have a problem with my 22re. My radiator reservoir keeps running low. It does not go dry, but I am routinely having to add fluid to the reservior. (Maybe 1-2 times per month). Now I have had ZERO white smoke of any kind and the oil looks perfect. Plus, the 22re runs perfectly. As far as I can tell there are no leaks of any kind. Anyone have any ideas as to where the fluid could be going?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
leaky heater core hose that comes out of the back of the block, dripping coolant down the back of the block evaporating before it hits the ground.

= looseing coolant and never marking its territory
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Interesting, that certainly would explain the issue. Just curious how much of a PITA is this going to be?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The first place to start on any type of coolant issue is to pressure test the cooling system. That will tell you where your leak is...
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 AM

I might be a bit paranoid but to me that oil doesnt look right. Though it is about 4k old and the reflection of the light might have something to do with it. In the second photo u can see i am leaking what appears to be oil. But what is it leaking from? I dont recognize that part. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Oh oh, Houston we have a problem (Head Gasket??)-forumrunner_20130113_141311.png   Oh oh, Houston we have a problem (Head Gasket??)-forumrunner_20130113_141705.png  
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that doesnt look right..check your dipstick!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 AM

check your oil, if its ok, change your rad cap.

my truck would loose a litre or 2 every 120kms, no smoke, no leaks, etc.

while greasing my draglink i noticed it was wet, turned out the rad cap wasnt holding pressure. It was allowing coolant out of the rad, filled the over flow, and leaked down onto the steering box.
changed the rad cap and havent lost a drop of coolant since (800km)
Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 AM

Just pulled over and checked the dip stick and it looks 100% normal.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 AM

has it overheated? did you oil cap have any odd colored spots on it? that oil has water in it no doubt. it will be hard to tell if there is coolant in the oil by checking the dipstick. if anything you'll see a white spot in the bottom. change the oil and the coolant. if there is oil in the coolant its most likely a blown hg for sure.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
easiest thing to do is pop the hood and start squeezing any hose that has coolant running through it. if you see a leak, even the slightest, that could be the problem. if you see nothing start it up and let it idle and do the same thing. i have spotted a few 'pissers' in the short amount of time ive owned older vehicles.

edit

after looking at the 2nd picture, it looks like your water pump gasket is leaking. the steel bracket below it has surface rust on it under the wet area of the pump. oil wouldnt make it rust.

Last edited by kelvinb; 01-14-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by DannySea
has it overheated? did you oil cap have any odd colored spots on it? that oil has water in it no doubt. it will be hard to tell if there is coolant in the oil by checking the dipstick. if anything you'll see a white spot in the bottom. change the oil and the coolant. if there is oil in the coolant its most likely a blown hg for sure.
Never over heated before. I really think the way the light was hitting the oil made it look milky in the photo. I just drove 500 miles today and had no issues. Half way through I checked the dipstick and removed the oil cap to look. Without the led flashlight the oil looked just fine. Plus my fluid level in my radiator reservoir did not go down at all. After 500 miles I would suspect it to go down a hair if it was a blow HG.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by kelvinb
easiest thing to do is pop the hood and start squeezing any hose that has coolant running through it. if you see a leak, even the slightest, that could be the problem. if you see nothing start it up and let it idle and do the same thing. i have spotted a few 'pissers' in the short amount of time ive owned older vehicles.

edit

after looking at the 2nd picture, it looks like your water pump gasket is leaking. the steel bracket below it has surface rust on it under the wet area of the pump. oil wouldnt make it rust.
Interesting. Well I do know oil is coming out of there somewhere. I can see it building up around the oil pan gasket on that side do the motor. Still have not seen my truck mark her territory yet. Not one drop.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM

Forgot to mention this, but honestly not sure if this matters. I run a approx. mix of 80% amsoil full synthetic and 20% lucas oil stabilizer. Lucas has a clear greenish look to it. Mix the two and who knows what it would look like. Just throwing that out there.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM

If water is in the oil, eventually, you'll see condensation inside your oil filler cap. You may see oil in the radiator, but the water on the filler cap is what I look for. My coolant slowly disappears as well but I know what it is; the lower radiator hose has a sloooooow seepage from the area where the hose clamp is. No matter how much I tighten it, it has that very slow leak. It's hard to see, rarely a drip can be seen and road dirt and grime hide most of the seepage. Any of the cooling system hoses, especially those that are hard to see and harder to reach, may have this kind of slow leak. Bad radiator cap is a good thing to check, cheap to fix, not a bad idea to replace it every so often.
Oil leak, but not on the ground? Take a good close look at the valve cover gasket. Oil near the top of the engine, where it's hottest, may burn off, but what doesn't burn off collects on that flange the oil pan bolts into. Or, it could be the oil pan gasket itself and who wants to change that, unless it's leaking really, really bad.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by GorgeRunner
If water is in the oil, eventually, you'll see condensation inside your oil filler cap. You may see oil in the radiator, but the water on the filler cap is what I look for. My coolant slowly disappears as well but I know what it is; the lower radiator hose has a sloooooow seepage from the area where the hose clamp is. No matter how much I tighten it, it has that very slow leak. It's hard to see, rarely a drip can be seen and road dirt and grime hide most of the seepage. Any of the cooling system hoses, especially those that are hard to see and harder to reach, may have this kind of slow leak. Bad radiator cap is a good thing to check, cheap to fix, not a bad idea to replace it every so often.
Oil leak, but not on the ground? Take a good close look at the valve cover gasket. Oil near the top of the engine, where it's hottest, may burn off, but what doesn't burn off collects on that flange the oil pan bolts into. Or, it could be the oil pan gasket itself and who wants to change that, unless it's leaking really, really bad.
I just checked the oil again and it looks good and there was no condensation under the cap at all. Thanks for pointing that out.

With regards to the leak: I originally thought it was the valve cover as well, but I can't see any evidence at all. It just randomly appears about a half inch above the part in the pic.

This weekend I will start the process of finding this leak.