Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

odometer speedometer problem

Old 03-24-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odometer speedometer problem

Both my speedo, and odometer do not work. When I bought the truck the odo worked fine but the speedo didin't, after a couple of weeks the odo stopped counting....

I've been driving the truck for atleast 6 months with no odometer, this really bugs me. I'm not too worried about the speedo, my old s10 never had a working speedo and I drove that for years with no problem.

I pulled what I think is the speedo gear out of the t-case one day to check it out, everything looked fine on the gear, none of the teeth were missing or chewed up. I'm wondering if it's a wiring problem or maybe fuse? I don't really know.

Anyway, I would like to know if they both work off the same sensor, or part, so when I order a new part I know what to look for. Are they a seperate part? How much does it cost to repair myself.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? How was it fixed?

EDIT: it's a 92, 22re, 5spd, etc.

Last edited by mattaway; 03-24-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:40 PM

What year is your truck? Reason is because some are cable drive and some are electric.

If it's cable drive, it could be either the cable or the speedo unit.

If electric, it's a little more complicated.

In either case, both the speedo and the odo operate off the same driving source. My wag is that because your speedo stopped first and then your odo that it's a problem with the speedo head. Cheapest way to fix that is via ebay where speedo clusters are readily available. Or, maybe a parts yard.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:47 PM

It's a 92.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:36 PM

Ok, your 92, as far as I know, has an electric speedo. I just replaced the cluster in my 94 with a cluster from a 92 which has a tach. Looks like the speedometer works off a little bitty precision motor the speed of which is controlled by the speed sensor. The motor drives both the speedo and, through some gears, the odometer.

Because the speedo failed first and then the odometer failed, it would seem to me that it's most likely that the problem is the speedo head and not the VSS or other electrical. But you should probably check the VSS first -- see the 93 FSM for info on this. Then, because there are electric issues that pop up in strange ways with our trucks, you might want to positively verify that you don't have a 12v positive or a ground problem with your speedo. Take a bit of time to check for intermittent contacts with the connectors to the speedo cluster. When you pull the cluster out you'll see that the speedo is held in with four screws which also serve as electrical contacts. They are labeled. You might want to run a separate 12v and ground from known good locations to these screws just to see what happens. The reason that I say this is because problems with the speedo, according to some people, can be caused by less than perfect grounds and problems with the wiring from the battery to the under-hood fuse box. Anyway, once you have the instrument cluster removed from the truck, it's very easy to service and experiment with. Just four screws and some easy to plug and remove electrical connectors.

So, if your truck doesn't have a tach and gages, it might be a good time to perform that upgrade. There are a lot of SR5s out there just waiting for you to give their clusters a good home. I got mine from Ebay. See recent threads about the oil pressure sender etc.

If you do have to take your dash apart, a word of caution. Be as gentle as possible when removing the screws and dash parts -- there are a lot of snap in mechanical connectors that can break (I've seen it) and the plastic parts are susceptible to cracking. Be gentle and as careful as possible.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:06 PM

Thanks for all the info.

I'm a little scared about taking the dash apart, I had a hard enough time putting a cd player in without breaking anything

I'll probly mess with it more this weekend.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 PM

I am having the exact same symptoms on the Speedo, what was the resolution if any on your problem?