Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Odd, intermittent, squeaking coming from front wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd, intermittent, squeak coming from front wheels?

Hey guys, I'm heading out for a cross country trip soon in my 1987 4x4 longbed and trying to make sure I have all of my bases covered before I head out.

There is an odd squeak that only shows up intermittently when rolling... I say rolling because it happens whether I have the clutch pushed in, in gear or in neutral. It can be heard best in second gear and goes away completely in higher gears. I'll roll to a stop with the engine running and the squeak stops, starts and slows based on wheel/tire speed.

I just installed four new wheels and tires. Could this just be break in? Wheel bearings? Brake pads? The sound does not go away when I depress the brake pedal.

I'd love to avoid going to a mechanic, as they charge too much money.

The truck has 31k original miles and sat for about twenty years up until one month ago.

Thanks for any help!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:59 PM

check your belts.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:00 PM

Would a belt be in rhythm with the wheels?
Old 12-20-2012, 05:08 PM

varies with engine rpms.

mine squeels once in a while. my lower alt bolt keeps falling out on my first gen t4r. even when i use lock nylock nuts on the end of the bolt. its worth a shot to check it out tho. could be fan belt or alt belt. otherwise i know my second gen t4r squeels and squeeks a bit cuz i have a u joint going out on the front drive shaft.

the crappy thing about the sounds you hear. they may sound like they're coming from one place but could actually be coming from somewhere else. sound travels funny through the cab of a vehicle. Take a wheel bearing for example. it sounds like front right is making noise. but 9 times otu of ten its the drivers side one. funny how it works out.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by saltandgranite
Hey guys, I'm heading out for a cross country trip soon in my 1987 4x4 longbed and trying to make sure I have all of my bases covered before I head out.

There is an odd squeak that only shows up intermittently when rolling... I say rolling because it happens whether I have the clutch pushed in, in gear or in neutral. It can be heard best in second gear and goes away completely in higher gears. I'll roll to a stop with the engine running and the squeak stops, starts and slows based on wheel/tire speed.

I just installed four new wheels and tires. Could this just be break in? Wheel bearings? Brake pads? The sound does not go away when I depress the brake pedal.

I'd love to avoid going to a mechanic, as they charge too much money.

The truck has 31k original miles and sat for about twenty years up until one month ago.

Thanks for any help!
Was this noise present before wheel and tires were installed? If so did you check wheel bearings and brake pads at that time? Sitting for 20 years, something dried up or deteriorated.

31k how about some pics of your ride.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna go with wheel bearings given the fact that it's been sitting for 20 years and you didn't mention anything about checking/repacking them.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 PM

Another thought...

Does it have manual hubs? If it doesn't you should check your CV joints too. They could be dried up also.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Yes, manual hubs. No noise prior to new wheels and tires. I didn't check the bearings... didn't bother to disassemble anything, though I probably should have. I'll check the belts and jack the truck up tomorrow to have a look at the bearings, pads, bushings etc.

Last edited by saltandgranite; 12-20-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 AM

Wheel hub and bearings.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Start simple since supposedly it's over in the hub area. Just check it all. Pull off the rim check for rubbing marks. Check the brake pads. Check the bearings. Search spindle lubricator.

Check the belts too.

Rather than guessing forever what it could be check easy things and eliminate them.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-22-2012, 05:44 PM

It was the wheel bearings. Replaced all front bearings and it seems to have solved the issue. They definitely needed to go. Man that was a pain in the ass. I had to get bailed out in a way, called a buddy and had to have him come show me how to complete the job. Anyway, all good now.

Had a look at the belts too. Unfortunately all aftermarket. They are all in good shape though. I tightened the drive belt. New brake pads too. I guess this guy did a little upgrading before he parked it.

I'd love to post pics, I really wanna show this truck off It's not like facebook though... it's so complicated!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 PM

Glad you got it sorted out! Always good to hear.

You might have a few more things pop up because it was sitting for so long so be on the lookout. Keep an eye on your bushings, belts and hoses....anything rubber.