Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Obx header

Old 03-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Obx header

So I was on my way to work Friday and heard this loud pop next thing I know it sounds like my exhaust blew a hole out one entire side, LUCKILY I had ordered a OBX HEADER on Monday cause something just did not feel right about this old header I had been running and L.C.Engineering was back ordered for two to three weeks ,so sure enough get out at work check the exhaust not a hole one so I popped the hood and this is what greeted me.

So to get my self home the 47 miles I have to drive one way I did a quick fix up with so aluminum and hose clamps that lasted about 5 miles before one side blew out , but it got me home a bit loud but whatever

I was expecting to find my new header sitting waiting for me but I have the laziest UPS man in the world, he did not even bother to show up at my house yet told his people he did and could not make delivery no delivery tag on door and my door was wide open with a note saying I was downstairs ring the door bell well he may have made his last delivery for awhile this is the 4th time he has done this to me , so I am stuck at home all weekend fast forward to Monday 12:30 found this waiting for me to sign for.

opened up the box and this is what I found inside

I started to install it and ran into a couple small issues
1. the bolt pattern was off by about a 1/8 inch and I had to open up a few of the pre-drilled holes so it slide on like it was meant to.
2.The bung for the 02 was/is too small how does that happen I mean really come on you make 10's for thousands of these and you can't get the 02 bung hole correct really

Anyway other then the two mentioned issues it was not to hard at all to install it looks like it may be pretty decently built and for the money worth it $179 to my door I also added the L.C.Engineering EGR block off kit , looks real good but I think adding it before it in the truck during the rebuild faze would be a smart idea it a pain in the butt getting to the EGR bolts and nut.

The fit was as close to perfect as you could ask for once I got the the holes opened up so as a scale to give you an idea I would say it was a 4 wrench out of 10 job most anyone with a do it yourself attitude and some mechanical skills should have no problems doing it.

Tomorrow I guess I get to finish it but gonna need help from someone with a welder and 02 bungs so till then I guess this is it wish I could get a better idea of how its gonna sound and perform with my new MAGNAFLOW exhaust system
Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Nice, hopefully it does you well. Which header was that the blew out on you?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always heard a lot of bad things about OBX headers for any vehicle not just our Toyotas.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
You might want to check your cat. The O2 fixture blowning out is a first for me. Could see one cracking but a blow out wow. Where'd the pressure build up come from? Glad you had thought ahead and that things worked out. Good luck with the OBX, I've never tried their products well besides a set of seats.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow i cant beleive it blew out like that.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats the part number on that header?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Nice, hopefully it does you well. Which header was that the blew out on you?
It appers to be a NWOR best I can tell from design and where the 02 sits on the top of the header

Originally Posted by muddpigg
You might want to check your cat. The O2 fixture blowning out is a first for me. Could see one cracking but a blow out wow. Where'd the pressure build up come from? Glad you had thought ahead and that things worked out. Good luck with the OBX, I've never tried their products well besides a set of seats.
Cat is almost new and is flowing fine right now with the rest of the exhaust all MAGNA FLOW system , And yea I am glad to have had that gut feeling it definitly saved some waiting and sweating how to get to back and forth to work , I will be keeping tabs on this thing for sure already had the chrome start bluing but it also seems to have made a better throttle position rolling down the road and a bit better MPG's so far just touching 1/4 tank have 63 miles not bad for 35 x 12.5's and a 4 banger

Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil
Whats the part number on that header?
the part number from the seller RACINGPARTSDEPOT.COM:
AH11333-S OBX HEADER TOYOTA 90-95 PICKUP/4RUNNER 4WD 22R
Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
I've always heard a lot of bad things about OBX headers for any vehicle not just our Toyotas.
I did a search here and it seems to have been a hit and miss with these and hear alot of good about the ricer headers so its gonna be interesting to see what happens with this and for $179 delivered till L.C.Engineering gets theirs off back order (2-3 weeks or more) to get me to work was well worth the money hell I could have drink that at the bar on the weekend at least its going to something worth while
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4
wow i cant beleive it blew out like that.
Me either about stained my shorts when it hit the hood
Old 03-29-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my buddies had one of those headers on his truck. He was not very happy with it. One of the big problems he had withing 2-3 weeks was that those paper type gaskets crumbled. He ended up getting OEM gaskets and fixed it. Then about a year later he got a small crack on it. He welded it, and its now on two years and still going, but with lots of rust.

I see that on the previous header you had some wrapping held on by some clamps along cylinder 3 and 4. What was the deal with that?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman

So to get my self home the 47 miles I have to drive one way I did a quick fix up with so aluminum and hose clamps that lasted about 5 miles before one side blew out , but it got me home a bit loud but whatever
he tried to cover the hole so he didnt suck a valve
Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NwRunner
he tried to cover the hole so he didnt suck a valve
Correct just a get me home repair job that only lasted a few miles , but all is well and running great now . What a big difference it made I guess there must have been a crack that I could not see to get it to blow out that bad and how much quieter it is
Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 PM

silicone on the header gasket?

does it work well?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:39 PM

I couldn't ever get my OBX Header to fit.. Even after this:

Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 PM

^ that sucks..

bought one for my 2000 taco about 2 yrs ago, great fit and no problems so far.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:11 PM

Correct just a get me home repair job that only lasted a few miles , but all is well and running great now . What a big difference it made I guess there must have been a crack that I could not see to get it to blow out that bad and how much quieter it is
That makes sense. Good McGyver move!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JustDSM
I couldn't ever get my OBX Header to fit.. Even after this:

Are you sure you got the right one? there is a 2wd and 4wd verison seams to me you may have got the 2wd one be accident
Old 04-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

So today I installed new plugs (VPOWER) cap and rotor (AutoZone) can't believe Toyota said it would take 2 days to get these parts and none were on hand reset the SUPRA AFM (old plugs were white reset it to adjust for the cam and header) and she runs great the OBX HEADER is still chrome! just a little bluing from day one no more so far but will see cause only time will tell.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:19 AM

Are you sure you got the right one? there is a 2wd and 4wd verison seams to me you may have got the 2wd one be accident
I wouldn't rule that out, but it was advertized as a 4wd model, and the box indicated it was in fact a 4wd version. It did not appear to be opened/altered so I can only assume that it was the 4wd.

Good point though!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
opened up the box and this is what I found inside

Was the candle extra? J/k haha. Looks good Glad you could get it to fit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Obx header