Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Noisy valves causing CEL Code 52?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noisy valves causing CEL Code 52?

Recently did the head gaskets on my '88 3VZE and while cleaning out one of the heads 3 of the bucket & shim assemblies fell out...which mixed them up. I took some measurements and tried to figure out which one went where but after reassembly the valve noise on that side is louder. It was very smooth and quiet prior to this job.

Shortly after reassembly I got a CEL Code 52. Unfortunately I bought the wrong knock sensor wire during the job and made the mistake of figuring "hey, it worked before" and put everything back together.

I know whether it's the valves or the sensor / wire it's pretty much the same job, I'm just curious if noisy valves could set off the knock sensor.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:38 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Uh, probably not. Connecting rod bearing maybe, valves not too likely. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/...taTech/h40.pdf

Did your measurements include measuring the valve clearance? Whether or not you dropped valve shims, valve clearance really is part of a head gasket job.

BUT: doing it now is not that much trouble, and just as importantly, a whole lot LESS work than working on the knock sensor. To adjust the valves you have to remove the plenum and valve covers. To get to the knock sensor or pigtail, you also have to remove the lower intake manifold, which means removing all the fuel distribution too.

Still, if you re-installed the old pigtail, you're not too far from going back in anyway. So maybe you just oughta suck it up and get it done now.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, if the valves can't cause a Code 52 then I'll be going deeper anyways. Was just curious if valve noise would be a similar frequency to pinging.