86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No start condition

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start condition

Well for the past 5 weeks I have been trying to get my truck to start. Heres the story:

I pulled out of my neighborhood, and my truck just died, and White smoke was pouring out of the hood. I ran and popped the hood to see where the smoke was coming from, but never saw it. So I walked back to he cab and there was smoke pouring out from under the steering wheel! So I ran to the front and ripped the battery cable off and the smoke stopped.

The problem: It will crank forever, but after about 2-3 seconds the EFI fuse will blow.

I found a problem, some of the wires from my alternator were completely melted together, so I went to the salvage yard. There was one toyota pickup there and it happened to be an 89 (I am blessed). I took the part of the wiring harness that I needed and rigged it up on my truck just to see if she would start, (used electrical tape, etc. will solder it when I find the problem).
And I put a new alternator on it, just in case.

I am just stumped, I have been working on this truck for about 2 months and I am really getting discouraged, everytime I find a problem, it has nothing to do with the no start problem!!!

Now I am going to a automotive technician school, and still am having a hard time diagnosing this, anyone got any ideas????

Sorry its so long!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I found the problem, my VAFM was shorted out internally. So I went to the salvage yard and found one off of a 85 toyota motorhome. Now it runs great, and it has more power (motorhomes had the VAFM tweaked to add more fuel for more power), and now I dont have to keep my foot on the gas to keep my AC cool!! It solved a bunch of problems!!