86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No Start 92 4R V6 AT 4x4 (<95k)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start 92 4R V6 AT 4x4 (<95k)

My 92 V6 4x4 AT (<95k) 4Runner had a little hesitation going on so I dumped 4-5 oz of top oil (lucas) in the gas tank. Unfortunately I did this AFTER filling up with gas. Truck sat all night and I started it and drove 3 miles before the engine choked and stop running. I coasted to a stop, tried starting with starting fluid, no start. I had suspected that the oil dropped to the bottom of the tank and was picked up at the pump undiluted causing fouling of the plugs. I drained a 8oz of fuel, out of the filter, cold start line and injector fuel line. Fuel pressure is good. No Start.
Since then I have swapped out the coil, rotor, distributor. Battery checks fine, I checked for codes (none). The oil issue may have been a coincidence and not the actual problem. I think the issue is down to electrical which is my Achilles heal. Car cranks great, just refuses to fire.
Any suggestions on what and how to check further? Thanks
Old 03-25-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Are you getting spark at the plugs?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:28 AM

" Are you getting spark at the plugs? "
Spark at coil, distributor and plug #1, didn't check other plugs.
I've also sprayed enough starter fluid into the intake to blow the rig up! Plugs cant be that fouled can they?

Last edited by QuietGiant; 03-26-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by QuietGiant
" Are you getting spark at the plugs? "
Spark at coil, distributor and plug #1, didn't check other plugs.
I've also sprayed enough starter fluid into the intake to blow the rig up! Plugs cant be that fouled can they?
I would start with the basics - check, clean and gap all the plugs, or replacing them which is inexpensive.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:13 AM

I know you're right about that. I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age by thinking I had enough spark and starting fluid to overcome that.
ill give you an update w/I a few days.. thanks! BTW! I'm in Phoenix for the next few months, where in Northern AZ are you?
Old 03-26-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by QuietGiant
I know you're right about that. I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age by thinking I had enough spark and starting fluid to overcome that.
ill give you an update w/I a few days.. thanks! BTW! I'm in Phoenix for the next few months, where in Northern AZ are you?
I'm near Cottonwood and might get down toward Phx (for car shows or parts swaps) within the next few months.