Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

no spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no spark

ok, this is what i got. my daughter bought a 1991 4runner 3.0, 2wd, auto. when she got it, it ran but barely, the more it ran the worst it got. so i fig crap in tank,injector, etc. cleaned tank,lines put in new injectors. while i was there, knock sen and just about every other sensor there was. replaced or repaired wires,all new hoses, fuel pump,timing belt and everything else i could think of while i was into it. Now i got no spark. got power to dist. which i left in and didnt mess with checked air gap and everything else i could think of.looked and check wiring. any thing would be helpful. I've worked on a lot of us cars and bikes but 1st toyota. thanks dave
Old 11-14-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
You may have a failed igniter. (I assume you've done the basic resistance check on the coil.) Here's everything I know about igniters:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...gniter-287857/
Old 11-19-2015, 03:13 AM

no spark

thanks, i found a good igniter for 15.00 put it in still no spark. the coil and igniter are both getting 12 volts to them, but i'm not getting anything at the connector at the air cleaner. i'm not sure if it has power only when the the engines cranking , i didnt have any one to turn it over while i checked it. but theres nothing with the key on.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:25 AM

Could be a bad cap, rotor, plugs, ignition coil.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:43 AM

I gave the procedure for testing the input and output of the igniter (you'll need about $2 worth of parts to build the tool). That would help you a lot.

If by "connector at the air cleaner" you mean to the VAF, which pins did you check? There is 12v to the FC and VC pins with key on, but I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. These shouldn't have anything to do with spark.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:10 PM

no spark

thanks guys, ya i tried old plugs,cap + rotor which worked before. Scope, with the key on i don't show anything on any of the pins ? I know i broke off a corner of the connector but it still fits in nice and tight. i tell you when it comes to electrical im lost, i can rewire replace and rebuild, but trouble shooting electrical thats dif. i'm a plumber by trade so that should tell you something. let me know what you think. thanks again
Old 11-20-2015, 05:16 PM

no spark

Scope, i do know the couple of times i checks the air filter. it would'nt start because i'd forgot to plug the connector in. this of course is when it started. thanks
Old 11-20-2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by panheaddav
..., but trouble shooting electrical thats dif. i'm a plumber by trade so that should tell you something.
There is no shame in admitting that you are in over your head. There are plenty of mechanics out there who do just this sort of thing for a living. Fortunately, plumbers are well compensated.

Originally Posted by panheaddav
.... it would'nt start because i'd forgot to plug the connector in.
The VAF has (along with a potentiometer and thermistor) a switch that closes when the engine starts sucking air. When you turn the key to STArt the fuel pump runs, but it is kept running by the switch in the VAF once you let go of the key. (They both drive the COR - Circuit Opening Relay, which powers the pump) So the VAF can cause a fuel issue, but you're sure that's not it. Your sure it's a spark issue, which has nothing to do with the VAF.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
One of my buddies serviced his 4runner, I think he had replaced the VAFM. He couldn't get it to start and asked me to come over. Turns out he had forgotten to plug the VAFM connector back in.

It happens
Old 03-03-2016, 07:19 PM

ok guys i'm back. for xmas my daughter asked if we could take it to a shop to find the problem. took it to a good shop out here they had it over a month and couldnt fig it out either. called me to tow back home. said they couldnt remember the last time they had to make that call, didnt charge me a thing. so this is where im at,( now remember it had spark b4 i stated working on it-take that how u will) i've replaced the igniter,coil,distr,plugs,wires,fuel pump + filter,air fil,egr valve-modulator + sensor,charcoal can,vac valve switch,injectors+pigtails,sender switch,catalytic converter,airflow meter(MAF),02,throttle pos,coolant temp,sender switch,knock sensors. replaced all hoses and timing belt, thats all i can think of right now. ok 1st timing overhead cam belt i've done(alot of chains) now i'm prob wrong here but, even if i got the belt off a tooth would'nt it still spark + just run like crap or not run ? or was that only in the old days b4 the computer + sensor crap. I must b missing or missed something. i pulled the timing cover back off and checked on comp stoke at o timing mark, distr + cam gears lined up- can't see crank. anymore input from you guys would be great. Thanks