Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

No Power Windows, Moonroof, and HVAC problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Power Windows, Moonroof, and HVAC problem?

So I finally had some time to work on my 90 2door 4runner yesterday and I decided that it would be the day to line the interior for dynamat since I already had half of the interior out for the roll cage. All the windows, the sunroof, and the A/C worked prior to me pulling out all the interior panels. So once I finally got all the panels out and the back half of the interior out I decide to close the tailgate and call it a day is when all the problems started:

Not Working!
  • The back window doesn't roll up
  • The driverside and passenger side windows are dead
  • The A/C controls quit working
  • The moonroof has no power
What does work!
  • The door locks work and the fail safe system works when you have the keys in the ignition and the doors are open
  • Radio works
  • interior and exterior lights work
  • The 4runner starts up and idles fine but still no power to any of the windows or A/C.

I did the research last night and today I started with the fuse box at the engine bay all good they are all getting power. I went to the fuse block at the driverside kick panel and tested all the fuses they are all receiving power, I did test the big 30A fuse that is in between the power moon roof relay and the defogger relay and that is getting power. So I went to the driver side window switch and it is getting power from the harness I know the main window switch is still good but I tore it apart today and cleaned all the contacts and just made it look like new. I plugged it back in and the doorlocks still work but still no power to the windows.

The only thing thing I didn't test was the factory relay for the moonroof but I even switched it out between the defogger relay at junction block 1 and still nothing. I checked to make sure the window lock button wasn't on along with the one in the center console by the back window switch I even switched out the window switch with a working spare that I had on reserve just in case. The only thing I can think of from all the research I have read on here is the door lock control module I haven't had a chance to look at the wiring diagrams but I figured somebody must have ran into this problem, or is there a harness that I might have unplugged when I was pulling the interior out. I know there is a window relay module for the rear glass by the driverside rear quarter panel next to the compartment door and I haven't checked that yet but does that have anything to do with loosing all the power to the windows and A/C unit.

If haven't mentioned it already it's a 1990 2dr 4runner 4wd w/5spd equipped with a 3.0 v6 with every possible option that is available I even discovered a block heater plug upfront. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A big thanks in advance to this website because it has helped me solve some previous issue that I had on my 95 4dr 4runner.

Last edited by n2o302; 06-01-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So doing a little more research on here and looking at wiring diagrams I think I might have it narrowed down to maybe two things one being the door lock control module and the other thing seems to be the integration relay which kinda plays a part in a lot of the wiring. I'll check the local yard tomorrow I know they have a 90 sitting there and I'm pretty most of the wiring is still intact. If anybody wants to put there 2 cents into this let me know what you think.