Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

No newb but need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No newb but need help

Ok guys after countless hours of searching and reading, literally almost 2 weeks non stop. I really need some help. First time Yota owner its 89 pickup 4x4 22RE. It starts runs for a few seconds and dies. I have tested all wires for resistance and ohms that I can think of and have read of. Yes even the injector wires and the brow wires on intake for the ground. I ha e replaced the following, CO relay, EFI relay, AFM, ECM, FPR, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, coolant sensor, O2 sensor, checked fuel pressure ots 44 PS, the jnjectors are firing according to a noid light. Fuel pump kicks on by diag port or by pushing afm door. I have some all the normal I can think of. Need your guys help. It ran fine until I changed the oil and changed the O2 sensor. Then the problem started and that's when I started the list above ^. Any insight or help would be great. Telling me to search won't help enless how have a better search tool then google and literally like 40 man hrs. Thanks in advance and I'm willing to do any testing needed.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is a VAFM issue. If you replaced it I would test the new one just to make sure nothing funky is going on. What 02 sensor did you use to replace yours not that it should be the issue.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:41 AM

I tested both AFM all resistance test is good. I used a NGK sensor 110$ lol I should mention truck runs fine for 3-10 seconds like CSI is running truck and inj won't take over after it times out.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:41 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
So your saying even with FP and B+ jumpered the truck still shuts off after 10 to 30 seconds ??

Sounds like you started with a simple problem now the addition of all these new parts your back to trouble shooting all over again

Just where did all these new parts come from

Brand new out of the box Toyota ??

Have you checked that you have spark after it quits ??

Will it restart right away after it quits ??
Old 09-17-2016, 05:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First thing, is unplug the o2 sensor. It can run without it. Normally I would think you lost fuel pressure along the way, but it seems you added a port. Mine has -6AN lines for fuel due to rust, yours should be in better shape. My thinking is your o2 is pulling down the ecu, or your dropping the fuel pump. When you change the oil there are three connectors above where your arms go to change the filter, are those electrical connectors intact and secure? Its also possible you opened up a vent line under there to the EGR or emissions line and now air is getting in behind the TB and stalling it out. In bright sunlight check all that stuff for something that fell off or broke including the oil sensor wire. I've never tried to run an engine with it off, remote possibility ECU wants to see oil pressure or it cuts off.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:32 AM

Oil pressure switch connection is good with continuity, yes I have spark after it quits. Atleast on cylinder 1. I took intake manifold of and RE installed invade gasket was bad and checked and rechecked all connections and vac lines. When jump b+ and fp pump turns on. I bought and returned all parts from autozone.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:33 AM

I think it's in the harness some where. I'm going to propane and selling all my components. I have ohms tested everything g that can be tested and it's all good. Any one want to buy anything that has to do with fuel Injection
Old 09-17-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
You might be correct on the harness thing. I have an 86 pickup that was a 22r engine and the last owner swapped out the engine with a 22re and hooked up the least amount of stuff possible to make it run. Cut wires and electrical tape everywhere under the hood. Sometimes it starts and dies, other times it just cranks for ever with no fire, and sometimes when it runs, it doesn't rev at all like the AFM isn't working, and if I hit bumps just right, it runs perfect. This was a yard truck that I never would put on the road.

Wish I had a harness for you, but I don't think I have one from that era for the 22re.

Just for giggles, where are you located? I buy parts trucks all the time, if your close I might be interested, or maybe can help diag.