Sponsored by: DashLynx

No Fuel getting to injectors... at a loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No Fuel getting to injectors... at a loss

Hi,
i have a 86 4runner 2L engine,

Drove fine one day then went to start it 2 days later and it wasnt getting any fuel, checked fuses they are fine, tho not sure where the injector pump relay is.
I can bring fuel to the engine using the priming manual pump above filter then once it consumes that it dies.
the solenoid at the rear of the pump has power when ignition on.

ive been searching for a few days and to no fix so am hoping to get some wisdom here.... thanks.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just hang in there not to many 2L diesel people on here.

Really dumb but you did not run out of fuel ?? it happens to us all

I have never seen one of these engines .

Does it have a electric pump pushing fuel to the Injector pump

Have you verified the electric pump is turning on??

The solenoid if like other pumps just shuts the fuel off when the key is off

Bottom line your not getting fuel to the injector pump or the pressure is to low

You give it enough pressure with the primer pump to start the pressure drops the engine quits
Old 01-14-2017, 03:04 PM

thanks for reply,

Yeah have 3rd tank of fuel, pretty sure it doesnt have a electric fuel pump, what ive found online is they are just the mechanical injector / fuel pump off the timing belt.

thought electric was in the top of tank accessable from a panel under the drivers rear seat but that was just the fuel sender..

so yeah just confusing, fuel not making it to the filter on its own unless manual pump but ive followed the lines and there is just hoses that go back into the tank. forgot to mention its a long range fuel tank also so unsure if that has a different set up.

there is a little filter on a hose coming out of the tank so going to see if thats blocked today.. might be causing the low pressure.

thanks
Old 01-14-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Sorry I can give great info either. I did poke around some and it seems you're on the right path with the filter(s) over powering the pump.

Seems the quick check is to run a line from a fuel can to the injection pump, which confirms the pumps not dead.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:02 PM

Okay........... filter was clogged so cleaned that out but still ran rough then died... realised as i was manually pumping the fuel could see it a tiny stream of fuel coming out the line after the main filter to the pump.

removed line soldered it and wrapped rubber tube around it and it runs good as it did now... obviously been sucking in air after the manual pump fuel had been consumed..

Appreciate the replies on here, thanks for the advice.