86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No compression 94 22re help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No compression 94 22re help!

After getting to work truck stalled out as I parked, never happened before, then when I cranked it it sounded funny. By that I mean it doesn't chug whun I crank. Towed it home, changed timing chain and components,it needed it, put back together and still nothing! Checked compression and have none in any cylinder. Don't think its a head gasket as there isnt coolant in oil or oil in coolant. Could it be a bent valve? Could it be something simpler? Been over a week now and can't get anywhere. Girlfriend is getting annoyed being my taxi. Any insight will be valued!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:14 PM

does it have compression on any or the four cylinders??
Old 08-23-2010, 04:20 PM

There isn't compression on any cylinder. Using an autozone loner tool though. Not sure how reliable it is.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:24 PM

that dont make any sense... I would take it back and go to orielly haha!!!
You say you replaced the timing chain correct, was there anything that didnt look right inside??
Also if it was blown head gasket or cracked head you would only loose compression on one or two cylinders not all, If all are reading zero you gauge is messed up!!!
Get another gauge and retest the compression and write them down for us!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:26 PM

Wouldn't I be able to feel air with my hand coming out of the cylinders anyway if there was any compression? First time using a compression test, what is the correct procedure?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Yea you can hold your finger over it while someone cranks on it and feel if there is any air coming out.

Pull all four of your plugs, start at number one cylinder with the gauge hooked up and turn over for about three second. I am not positive one the compression specs but im sure you can find it on here!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:35 PM

Thanks monsta,that's the way i did the test and I had felt with my hand with my dad cranking but didn't feel a thing. Don't recall if i checked all four with my hand though. So you say it's impossible to not have compression in all 4 cylinders?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:41 PM

It not impossible but if all four have no compression and you just did timming chain, It seem unreal but the only logic thing i can think of is crank shaft broke!!
You can drain the oil and see if there is any metal in the oil if so i would drop the pan and check it out!!!

I just went threw this same problem with my truck i put in one motor with new bearings and gaskets and didnt check the clearences on the crank and spun a bearing right off the bat, then bought a motor form motor supply house and after 500 mile it spun a bearing!!! Luckly they warrantied it for me and ever since been gravy!!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:46 PM

Being that my chain guards were mangled and missing half on each side I indeed dropped the pan and cleaned out the plastic as well as a couple metal chunks from the inside of the cover. It wan't horrible damage to the cover though so I put it back on. when i spun crank shaft by hand it felt smooth and all rockers moved. How could I tell otherwise if shaft is damaged?
Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 PM

That is strang man!!have you turned it over with the valve cover off to make sure the rocker arm are moveing by the starter not turning by hand??? By turning the crank bolt it is hooked to the cam by the timming chain which the cam moves you rocker arms, But if the crank is broke then the rocker arms wont turn by the starter! Thats the only logical explanation i can think of why it wouldnt have any compression on any cylinder.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:13 PM

Anyone else wanna pipe in and give us a hand here?? We need help haha!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this is a dumb question, but is the starter turning the flywheel ? maybe some missing teeth or a bad starter drive.

Last edited by swampfox; 08-23-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:31 PM

Indeed one of the first things i checked was the rockers being turned by starter and they certainly do. After a little more digging i'm starting to wonder if it could be bent valves? Is there any reason to suspect (or not) that this could be the case? Again monsta thanks for your input thus far as I've felt like a lonely man on an island before you chimed in. : )
Old 08-23-2010, 06:47 PM

If bent valves are the case is it right to say all four would somehow have to bent in order to not have compression in any? Cant put any more time into truck until wednesday and jus tryin to get a new starting point before I get back in there. Also, could warped head possibly be the culprit?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Did you turn the crank without the chain being installed? Because if you did bye bye valves. It only takes a piston touching one to bend them. And it doesn't take much bend to stick them open.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 PM

Thanks Brian but I read all the warnings about that before replacing chain and components and was careful not to so I think I can rule that out. chain was never broken or off gears so I dont think I damaged anything that way while cranking beforehand either. I feel like i'll be taking the head off soon unless I get a different direction to go in. But I muust say i've NEVER been this far into a vehicle before and it would be my first time into the head of an engine.

Last edited by NSyotowner; 08-23-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:39 PM

When I first took timing cover off there was a chunk of chain guard wedged in between chain and crank gear. could this have caused the same reaction as a "no chain crank" and in essence cause a "valve crunch"?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Mechanical timing needs to be correct for the compression to happen.

You are sure that the timing mark on the crank is at top dead center (TDC) for piston #1 and the timing mark on the cam gear is also at a 12:00 position? The exhaust and intake valves on #1 should be "loose" as in the rocker arms are not pushing them down. AKA, the valves are closed.

I've had a bent exhaust valve (in my Fj40) that created a 0psi compression on a cylinder. I couldn't imagine you bending all the valves. Check to make sure timing is correct.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm quite willing to bet you bent a number of valves. There's eight of them; four intake and four exhaust. Last time my chain failed, it bent six. No compression. And! It sounded "funny" <<<<<<<sound familiar? Really, yours sounds like a typical failure resulting in valve damage; chunk of chain guard in the crank gear, timing cover damage, the instantaneous stall out/no go......all that. The mechanical timing gets thrown off by that chunk in the crank gear sort of changing the gearing ratio, so to speak, thereby throwing off piston/valve timing. But, go ahead and run your compression test with oil in the cylinders or run a leak down test. That will tell you for sure. But, I'll bet that's the problem.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:29 PM

to Baja: yes im sure timing is set correct.
to Thook: well, off with it's head! What's the best way to go about fixing the situation? I'll probably end up taking the head off wednesday and will try and post a pic or ten. Want to prepare myself for my immediate future under this hood.

Quick Reply: No compression 94 22re help!