Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

NO cold starting--? Starting Timer Injetion Switch 94 4cyl.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO cold starting--? Starting Timer Injection Switch 94 4cyl.

Hello,
First of all, This site has been great, We just did the entire front end and pictures and info on here really helped.

Now, I signed up here under my husbands name, thinking he would go ahead and take over and ask his own questions, but he does work 6 days a week, and relys on me to get his info. LOL

Bear with me please.

He had his engine rebuilt around a year ago- Actually, we paid for a rebuild, but I'm pretty sure we didnt get it... I reckon he DID fix the head that was cracked.. (BAD BAD expeirience...)

Every since then, on COLD mornings, (please dont confuse this with the truck being 'cold' not having started in days or weeks) the truck will not turn over.

On hot mornings, its starts like a dream.

He took it back to the .... mechanic that did the engine, and the guy said "let me show you what to do to make it start" .... Not a good vibe, it should have been fixed, but barring him going to jail we fiqured it was best to just walk away...

So the 'trick' is to tap the key back and forth a few times and it will start up. sometimes it takes more 'taps' than others.

I called a guy that works only on Toyotas. He had helped us on a few questions with the ball joints and cv axels.

After telling him what it was doing, he didnt hesitate, he said "its your Startin Timer injection switch- DONT get an after market, only buy from Toyota"

Well, after all the tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, CV axel etc etc that we just bought, ANYTHING from Toyota is a little rich for our blood.

I have read a few posts on here about this peice. But want to clarify a few things.

The good mechanic told me "you know that black tube? its behind that, you want to buy the black one, on the left side, not the green one."

I am PRETTY sure I read on here that it might be possible to 'clean' it. And I'm fairly certain that I know the function of this switch, and its importance.

what I'm askin y'all is -- is there a post or 'how to' on cleaning, replacing, diagnosing, bypassing, fixing, this thing.. and if not, can y'all share some of your wisdom with me?

BR is capable of doing pert near anything on the truck, time and directions are his biggest problem. With only having one day off it took us 4 Sundays to get the front end tore apart, put together, partially torn apart again and put together right. I'd really like to get it going again, He has had my truck every day for a month, from 6am to 9pm. I'm going stircrazy....

Again, its only when the outside temp is low. thats why we are guessing its this part.

Oh yeah, and one of his parking lights, --- we have changed the bulb, countless times, we have tested it with a tester, it SHOULD work, but it wont. PERIOD. no bulb will work in it. Am I gonna have to replace the whole dang light assembly? We can get the tester to work when we use it. It just wont light up a bulb... I gotta get this thing inspected..

Last edited by brbyerly; 01-30-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The Factory Service Manual has testing procedures for the cold start injector time switch. If you don't have a copy, find one and start from there.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 AM

Thank you-
Unfortunatly I doubt I can find one on a Sunday within driving distance. Finding the crappy $30.00 chilton book was hard enough-

I'm sorry to have bothered y'all with it. I just fiqured y'all would know. Guess I'll just go back to reading as much as I can on the 'net and try to fiqure it out.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

You should be able to find a copy on-line to download or you may be able to access the information on Toyota's tech-info site:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/FSM.shtml

And if the problem is the starter not phyically turning the engine over, see below for a quick test:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest

Last edited by 4Crawler; 01-30-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
When you say "it won't turn over"

Do you mean that the starter will not rotate the engine or that it will turn over but not start.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks Marc!

Well, I went out there to start it for myself so I could tell you what I found. and not try to 'translate' it from him. and although it IS cold, it started right up for me... and its 37*. It hasnt been started in at least 3 weeks. I am NOT sure I am gonna tell him this...

I am trying to get ahold of him now, to double check the 'symptoms'. But he drives a tanker and doesnt always have service.

I DO know for sure that he is POSITIVE its not the starter or any componant of- and I reckon he would know, he changed them for me when I wouldnt give up my F350 7.3 crew cab and when his boss wouldnt give up the Mack that was so precious to him. LOL.

His words always are "if there is frost on the windshield you can hang it up, your gonna have to tap the key"

you turn the key and it spins its little heart out. Spinnin the engine with everything its got- but it never 'fires off'.

So, he proceeds to turn the key a little, not enough to engage the starter, just enough to I guess engage the fuel pump (this is my 'guesstimate')
and it will kick off.

4crawler, I'll read that link, thank you, but I really am not sure that is what it is. But it never hurts to learn about all this
Old 01-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

You can also try the fuel pump test jumper to see if that helps:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#FuelPump
Old 01-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Here's a link for a 93 which will work for you.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/
Old 01-30-2010, 05:48 PM

THank you!! I'll check it out!