Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

No Battery = No Neutral????

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Battery = No Neutral????

About a week ago I went to the movies for my gf's birthday. When I came back out in the parking lot, I found my 4runner was dead. The battery had died (later found to be fog lights that i dont know how they were turned on and why.).
ANYWAY, When I went to put it in neutral to move it out of the parking space so a friend of mine could jump start it, it wouldnt go in neutral. The shifter would not move out of park.
Thankfully someone next to me was leaving, so he pulled in and jump started it. I later talked to my uncle and he was thinking it might have to do with a neutral safety switch, but that would be a really stupid design.
What if you were working on the engine with the battery out and needed to move it? You couldnt. Or what happened to me. If the person next to me wouldnt have been just leaving then I would o been up creek w/o a paddle.

Any ideas?
If it is the neutral safety switch, is there a way to disable it, and what are the benefits of having it. Would have to imagine there are some since they put it on there in the first place.

Last edited by Gokumono; 02-04-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might have to do some looking but there should be a little tab somewhere that you flip up and just stick a pen or something down there and it will allow you to move it to whatever gear without the keys in the ignition. We had to do that with a newer Ridgeline back when I worked at Dodge. Also, are you sure the key was in the "on" position?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah you need to push the shift lock bypass botton. I think you also need to have your foot on the brake, if not its a good idea to do it anyway.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-04-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
You might have to do some looking but there should be a little tab somewhere that you flip up and just stick a pen or something down there and it will allow you to move it to whatever gear without the keys in the ignition. We had to do that with a newer Ridgeline back when I worked at Dodge. Also, are you sure the key was in the "on" position?
Yes, the key was in the on position.
And I know ther is a small hole that looks like something is suppose to be there, by the shifter. That might be the area, never knew what it was for.....
Old 02-04-2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah you need to push the shift lock bypass botton.
Is that the small hole by the shifter.... ?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gokumono
I'm not sure what your's looks like. I'm using a 2001 Tacoma shifter in mine now and it is here:

Old 02-04-2009, 06:42 AM

It will be a small button right above the shift lever when it's in Park. It sounds like your button is missing and you just have the empty hole where it used to be.

With the key in the ON position, putting your foot on the brake will release the same lock.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by mmcpeck
It will be a small button right above the shift lever when it's in Park. It sounds like your button is missing and you just have the empty hole where it used to be.

With the key in the ON position, putting your foot on the brake will release the same lock.
Ill take a picture later today and post it.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mmcpeck

Assuming there is some power from the battery, right?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Assuming there is some power from the battery.
Ya.... which i think should even with battery off..... But stupid design I guess.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:54 AM

Ya.... which i think should even with battery off..... But stupid design I guess.
With my '92 Corolla, when we were swapping the engine and tranny, we didn't have the battery in and when the key was in the "on" position and the brake applied I could shift freely. And we had the "new" engine and tranny already in and hooked up when we had to move it out of the garage
Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It will only work with battery power to the shift lock ecu and solenoid, and it's not really a stupid design... everything these days is electronic. Toyota was nice enough to include a bypass button which is really easy to get to (and explained in your owner's manual) for the exact situation that you were in.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
Toyota was nice enough to include a bypass button which is really easy to get to (and explained in your owner's manual) for the exact situation that you were in.
Except mine didnt have the owners manual when I bought it......
Assuming it was the button/switch thats near the shifter that seems to be missing on mine...
Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Yes it is... it will look something like this one, and you have to insert a small screwdriver or something to press it.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM

Yes it is... it will look something like this one, and you have to insert a small screwdriver or something to press it.

Thanks.
So the only time that I should ever have to use that is if the battery is completely dead or battery has been pulled? [/color]
Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 AM

No. You'd also need it if you want to shift your truck out of park and you don't have your keys with you (for some reason).

If the brake pedal switch fails, you wouldn't be able to shift out of park without using the bypass.

Also, if any of the shift lock components (shift lock ecu, shift lock solenoid, etc...) fail, that bypass button will allow you to drive your truck to get it fixed or to go buy parts.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:05 AM

No. You'd also need it if you want to shift your truck out of park and you don't have your keys with you (for some reason).

If the brake pedal switch fails, you wouldn't be able to shift out of park without using the bypass.

Also, if any of the shift lock components (shift lock ecu, shift lock solenoid, etc...) fail, that bypass button will allow you to drive your truck to get it fixed or to go buy parts.
Cool. Thank you and everyone for all the info.
Now I got 2 questions answered. Wth that hole was, and why it didnt shift... kinda. Least i know how to bypass it.

Thanks again.