Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Next money pit

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next money pit

My new toy I picked up today. Not sure what I want to do with it yet. Pictures at www.ruralinternetservices.com/87toyota
Old 04-22-2008, 05:27 PM

Nice find. SAS, Marlin, 37's, cage... ?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 PM

Very nice, sometimes I wish I'd looked longer before buying my 81. Nothing like a Turbo.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Sweet 4 runner man. Plan on doing much wheeling in it? First thing I would do is lose the running boards, and definately any unnecesary plastic (especially the plastic in front of the rear fenderwell, caused alot of rust on mine). Just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:44 PM

One nice thing is it's an original New Mexico vehicle, ie: no rust. The frame is still clean. I just hosed it off to get rid of the dirt from 5 months of sitting and did a cursory exam at what worked and didn't work. So far all windows work, dash seems ok, that hugely annoying "key left in ignition buzzer" works, all interior lights ok, turbo light comes on as the rpm's climb but I didn't run it hard. Drivers seat has 2 small wear spots but the passenger and rears are good. Water and oil look good but there is a valve cover leak and probably needs timing chain guides. 197,000 miles. I plan on at least doing the timing chain, cover, oil & water pump and front seal. Other than that we'll see. I really didn't want a turbo.
I'm still looking for a decent 86-9x extended cab pickup with a 22re/manual trans/4 wheel drive in it to go with my 86 4runner which now has an Oregon Engines rebuilt with 265 miles on it. For the record, I'm very happy with my dealings with Oregon Engines and the quality of the product and the handling of the shipping and return core pickup. Ace's in my book.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That instrument cluster looks like its off the Deathstar.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:05 PM

this is what i would do a 3inch marlin or allpro sas with a set of 1ton axles 513 gears and ox lockers. 39.5 irocs on beadlock specialty wheels. Install a set of 4.7 marlin gears. Install a 4x innovations rollcage. chromoly axle shafts front and rear. wheel the sucker
Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice find! You gotta love NM vehicles.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:48 AM

Ok if nobody else will say it....I will.... Looks horrible...you should sell it

All kidding aside, it looks like it's in really, really good shape. Awesome find! Bit of a lift, some decent off-road bumpers, and maybe lockers are my intentions. Mine's a DD that sees some trail use to get to the fishing hole and camping spots.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 PM

Ok, here's what I've discovered so far. Bottom 3 pics at www.ruralinternetservices.com/87toyota show the problem. After I pulled the hood today so I could see to work, I hit the engine compartment with my pressure washer. After it dried and I started looking closer, I noticed the alternator pulley on the crank was cockeyed. So I pulled the nose apart and the pics show what I found. The engine was quite noisy when I got it and I figured "timing chain". However, it seems that the chain, gears, guides are good and that the oil pump, water pump and maybe even the timing cover have already been replaced.
My concern is wear on the nose of the crank. The crank bolt was not tight and the pulley slid off easily. I noticed the damper had a bit of rotational movement before I slid it off. The key is a bit mangled and I think that's where the play came in. I ordered a new damper from DamperDudes but I'm wondering; is it possible to add shim material to the crank so the damper fits more snug? If so, is this an accepted thing to do or considered a hack. I want to do this right.
2nd, the noise that I thought might be the timing chain turned out to be the valve adjustment. The largest feeler gauge I have is .025 and it fit all the rockers. I set them all to .008/.010 intake/exhaust and that should quiet it down. Compression in all cylinders is above 150 so maybe I'll get away with minor repairs.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:14 PM

Nice truck except for the color in and out, yuck!! can't have everything I guess......

.025 holy crap, I bet that was loud.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THAT IS ONE NICE DASH MATT!!! hahaha
Old 04-23-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Flash319
Nice truck except for the color in and out, yuck!! can't have everything I guess......

.025 holy crap, I bet that was loud.
Yes, it really was. It sounded like what some others have described as marbles in a can being shaken.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:16 PM

Went a bit further and pulled the timing cover. 1st, no wear on the timing cover at all and both guides (plastic) are whole and in place. The tensioner seems sticky though. Question. With all parts and pieces in place, is it possible to have the crank gear jump teeth on the chain by rotating the crank one direction and then the other? Mine did. It seems to me the chain has more give than I would expect. I can squeeze the 2 sides together and touch at the point where the tensioner sits. Is this normal? "My 1st timing chain experience <g>".
To be safe I ordered all new parts anyway, but would still like to know if what I'm seeing is normal.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 AM

If your crank is worn down enough, I know we carry Dura-sleeve "kits at work. They're just a sleeve that slips over a worn shaft to increase the diameter. They come in quite a few different sizes. If I knew the diameter of your crank end, and how big it was *supposed* to be, I could probably figure out a part number for you. This is assuming that the end of the shaft is smooth and doesn't have a key on the side of it.....
Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Slight hijack here.

SMG that has got to be the best signature line I've ever seen!!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by stupid_mud_gremlins
If your crank is worn down enough, I know we carry Dura-sleeve "kits at work. They're just a sleeve that slips over a worn shaft to increase the diameter. They come in quite a few different sizes. If I knew the diameter of your crank end, and how big it was *supposed* to be, I could probably figure out a part number for you. This is assuming that the end of the shaft is smooth and doesn't have a key on the side of it.....
I'm going to wait until the new damper comes in before I spend anymore time on the fit. If the new one still seems to be loose then I'll look further into those Dura-sleeve kits. Thanks for the tip. The crank snout is smooth and I removed the keys to put new ones in since they were somewhat mangled and allowed slight rotational movement. The damper may be the entire problem. <fingers crossed>.
Pulled the turbo today to replace the exhaust gaskets since there was an exhaust leak somewhere. Found several loose nuts/bolts. P.O. was a hack.