Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Newb:Torsion Bar/ Lift Questions

Old 11-10-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb:Torsion Bar/ Lift Questions

New around here and to Toyotas, I’ve done some research on here but wanted some advice anyways.

I need to make my truck basically stock, at least for the time being because my insurance company said they want to see my truck by the end of the month to make sure it hasn’t been modified, which sucks.

This means losing the 33” tires, i’d like to get 31”x10.5 BFG A/T’s is that stock size? could I get away with 32x12.5? They seem to be a pretty popular tire around here for daily drivers and offroading. What do you guys think good tires, is there anything comparable that is a bit cheaper, I’m a student, obviously you get what you pay for though.

My main issue is the lift It has 3” blocks in the back (see pic). I’m pretty sure that the torsion bars are just ‘cranked in the front’ this is what the PO thought was done and the pitman arms seem to be at an odd angle, do you think this is likely what has been done.

The rear axle is easy to fix, even I can figure that out. Take out the blocks and shorter U-Bolts. The Front though....I’m figuring I just measure and ‘uncrank’ the torsion bar adjusting bolts.

My Questions:
1. Should I do the front or back first, I’m thinking the back?
2. Will I likely need to get new bolts, they are a little rusted, will they likely break?
3. Will there be other steering components that need to be adjusted/ tightened, what are they?
4. Any changes in suspension or handling that I will feel?

I found this link on here and had lots of useful info, I’m thinking just do the opposite of what it says: http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=398514

Thanks for any and all help guys, can’t wait to start working on my new truck, going wheelin for the first time this weekend.

Also I posted this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f77/...ck-out-158732/ but no one replied or even said hello/welcome, what did I do/doing wrong?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to YotaTech! for the front if your looking to lower it back down you will need an alignment after loosening the torsion bars (don't forget there is a jam nut on top of the torsion bar tightening bolt.) the rear is pretty straightforward as you stated. I was gone all day on the 8th or I most likely would have seen your welcome post the 8th was my birthday so i was nowhere near my computer Either way welcome again and nice lookin' runner
Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great looking runner!

Not to punch holes in this but the underside of your rig is pretty darn dirty and rusty looking (no disrespect intended), do you think the adjuster will know the difference? Many of today's newer trucks (Ford, Chevy and Dodge) come from the factory with lift blocks in the rear. If I were a novice or uninformed adjuster I'd think that your rig looked stock as far as suspension goes and just had some larger tires installed. Remember that you can run 33/10.50/15's with no lift at all depending on how you wheel it.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After you adjust the t-bars, you can align the front end yourself.

http://www.sdori.com/SDORI_4WD_Align...ions_Main.html

You might need to replace the t-bar adjusting hardware, it can be purchased at the dealer. Often it rusts and when you loosen it up the cap screw snaps. Soak it well with PB blaster or WD40 to see if you can get the adjuster hardware to spin freely. Or, just get new hardware and replace it for piece of mind.

Frank