86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new truck small problems. wanna help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new truck small problems. wanna help?

Got a '93 Toyota pickup in June. its a stock 4 banger 22RE, 5 speed manual, 4WD and i love it...

but it has a few small issues:

gas gauge...jumps around a bit. will sometimes even go up. Im new to owning a vehicle and ive never noticed the needle jumping on my mother's camry or my father's 4Runner.

sometimes the needle will be at half-tank, then ill park and start it up after school 6 hours later and its at 1/4. ill check underneath and there is no puddle, the filler cap hasnt been broken into or anything. then ill put some gas in and it will jump up again or sometimes not.

took the front wheels off to install new shock absorbers. when i put the wheels back on, the front left wheel was cocked. I never noticed it if it was before (i was adjusting the height so it would sit level) but idk. now i probably need an alignment so maybe that will take care of it.

it has a real slow acceleration for a light reg. cab 4cyl. I make sure the front wheels are unlocked and its in 2WD, but some hills it just drags and little 4cyl hyundais are passing me....probably needs a tune-up. idk...

thanks.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definately want to do a front end alignment after any front suspension work. A tune up would be a good place to start if it is running slow. Alot of people recomend not using any aftermarket spark plugs. Go to the Dealer and get Densos. make sure the gap is set right...even if they claim it is preset. As far as the gas guage goes...do you notice it changing postions after being parked at an angle or after heavy breaking or accelerating??? Or are you exclusively on flat ground. The float in the gas tank can give inaccurate readings if it is not level. If it were me i could live with it and just gas up every 200 miles or so.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks man. im definitely on the tune up and alignment anyhow, but was trying to make sure that it wasnt some other problem that i was missing.

thanks for the advice on the plugs. ill look into it.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About your gas gauge, I get a similar thing. I notice usually around 1/4 tank that it likes to go down really fast...Once I open the cap to fill it up I get that big hiss from the pressure change, I came to the conclusion the negative pressure created in the tank makes the guage look lower than it is...But that wouldent explain the needle jumping up tho.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In reference to your lack of power, it sounds like your timing is off. Have that checked when you have a tune up.