Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Truck Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck Maybe

I am about to get a free 93 ext cab 3.0 m/t toyota pickup. The only thing is the trans is shot and the motor has about 200k on it. I am curious if it is worth me dumping the money into the truck to get it up and running good again like brakes all new fluids tune up etc. I am planning on doing a 4in lift and 33's and take it wheeling instead of my 04 4runner. Thanks
Old 07-13-2008, 12:02 PM

very much worth it. the trans takes 3-4 hours tops if you havent done it before, and 200k is just breaking in the motor any toyota is worth the price of free
Old 07-13-2008, 01:49 PM

Thats what I figured any toyota would be worth the price of free. The body is in good shape no rust and only a couple of dings the rear bumper is kinda jacked but who neads a rear bumper. What else should I consider for maintenance I don't have a clue whats been done to it and it has been sitting behind a barn for almost a year.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Although it wasn't free, I only paid $500.00 for it (rod knock).

But what was supposed to be a "simple repair" turned into a full blown project. Good thing my present DD has a couple more miles left in her.

CHECK THE FRAME FOR RUST! I gave mine a good look over before I bought it and it (the frame) is exceptionally clean.

Last edited by HAVOC; 07-13-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say give it a thorough check-up before you get
youself into a "free" money pit.

The trans issue is something you can deal with.

I wheel my 92 3liter with 208k miles undergeared and it
still does a darn good job out there.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, make sure its not a rust bucket before you accept it. It might be more of a pain then its worth.

If the frame is good, then you have a soild platform to start with. The tranny, depending whats wrong could be a 50 dollar fix. You can also find used trannys for between 150-300 bucks. Not a big deal.

200k is not bad for the motor. Make sure you do a full tune up, drain the old gas (if there is any) and replace all the filters you can find. t-belt will probibly have to be done, but since nothing will be harmed if it snaps you can wait... Just beware you will be stranded if it does.

Also, change out the coolant. Toyota coolant goes bad after a year or two in the truck.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:38 PM

shoot, if it's in good shape get it and start workin on it, if it looks like more of a project than you can handle either sell it for a decent price or part it out. Free is always worth it. There was a lifted black 90ish pickup with brand spankin new wheels and mud terrains on it at a buddy of mine's shop with a bad exhaust valve or something. The owner wanted $300 for it and before I could leave work to get it some other a-hole gave him $350 for it. Don't pass it up and end up regretting you did. I'd rather take the chance and end up with a bad project that pass it up and wonder what would have happened if you did get it.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 PM

Provided it isn't a total wreck i.e. bad frame, rust issues etc. You could get it for free and probably turn around and sell it for $500 or so. Even if you made 100 bucks off of it, at least its money in the pocket.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:02 PM

Either way it's free you could make money of out if parting it out if you don't decide to fix it. I say fix it and wheel it.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:03 PM

I actually checked the truck yesterday the truck actually belongs to my mother in law there is absolutly no rust whatsoever the only thing that worrys me is it has been driven in a year and I am leaving for a deployment for the millitary before I can go get the truck so it will end up sitting until feb I am trying not to dump more then 3 grand into it I am wanting it to be a realiable daily driver and worthy trail rig I wanted to go with a 4in lift but I can get a toytec 2in lift with shocks for 360 bucks and it will hopefully clear 32s so far I plan on changing all the fluids, timing belt, brakes if need be fuel filter and tune up anything else I should consider replacing? I have been really wanting an older pickup so I am not trashing my 4runner on the trails thanks for all help
Old 07-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Do a 2" suspension and 2" body lift. You will have a better combo then the run-of-the-mill 4" "bracket" suspension lift. It will also perform better off-road

Good thinkin on the fluids. Change out ALL the drivetrain fluids, engine,diffs, t-case and tranny, rad coolant etc. Full tune up - Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, oil and filter, gas filter.

My truck sat for a good year before I got it running, no problems Though it sat on my driveway, not a barn
Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 PM

Well just got back from the trans shop I got a worst case scenreo quote if the entire trans has to be replaced. reman trans new clutch new fluid in both diffs and trans case 2k + tax or they said I could get another junkyard trans and they could put that it in but you never know. I guess the trans that is in there the input shaft snaped due to the fact that some backwords ass rednecks put it in. So if I drop 2k on a new trans that leaves me 1k to drop into tune up timing belt brakes and whatever else needs replacing I also wanted to put bj spacers and add a leafs new tires in with my 3k budget that might have to get stetched alittle. I am really just trying to get a worthy trail rig and realiable daily driver as well the body and frame are rust free surprizingly I think this is really going to be a decent project truck I only wish had some pics of the truck