Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New timing set. Metal backed guides or no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New timing set. Metal backed guides or no?

Hi all. It's my first post here, but I'll try not to sound like too much of a noob.

I recently bought a 1993 truck with a 22RE (4 wheel drive manual). I noticed the engine had a noise on the test drive, but this engine is supposed to be bulletproof, right? And when I saw the price of replacement parts, I figured I'll just fix whatever goes wrong without too much cost.

Well, I got just that. Something that needs fixing. When I had the valve cover off last night to adjust valve lash, I saw that the driver side timing chain guide is gone. There are already some pretty deep grooves cut into the cover. I figure I better take care of it before it becomes a really big problem.

So here's my question: What do I order? Obviously engbldr's metal guides are pretty popular around here. But I read of someone that had a metal guide fail. Rather than ending up harmlessly in the oil pan like the OEM plastic one, it wrapped itself around a gear. Have any of you seen this kind of failure? If they're both likely to fail eventually anyway, would it make more sense to use the one that fails less catastrophically? Some opinions and experiences would help!

And while we're talking about timing chain changes, what else should I do while I'm in there? Anything nearby that tends to fail? I plan on just welding up the grooves on the cover while I've got it off rather than replacing it.

Thanks!
matt
Old 07-23-2009, 09:07 AM

its aluminum, so you have to be able to weld that. Your going to have to drop the oil pan and clean it out of all the debris from the destroyed guide. I would use the metal backed guide...i got mine off ebay. This timing chain is the on major negative thing about this engine. I would replace the timing set, clean out the oil pan and pickup tube, and adjust the valves.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I replaced my timing chaing with the timing kit from engbldr, talk to Ted, he is infact a toyota guru and very good at what he does. You can order the whole timing kit from him, metal guides, chaing, sprokets, timing cover, and i beilieve he even has a kit with water and oil pumps, and at a good price as well. as noted above you want to clean out the oil pan and replace the cork oil pan gasket, i have heard of people using silcone but I would not reccomend it. The other thing is your head gasket as part of it overlaps the top of the timing cover, i did not replace mine when i did the chain, but im also working on building a new 22re so i was not so concerned. I think it all depends on how much time and money you want to spend and how good you want your truck to run. good luck with the repairs, and welcom to Y/T
Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 AM

i used gasket maker on my oil pan...works fine. Also i didn't replace my HG, just gota be careful when you take the cover off...thats all
Old 07-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I did a timing chain a few weeks ago, not that bad of a job.

I removed the oil pan (unbolted front diff and rotated it out of the way, left the CV axles bolted up), I had to unbolt the pickup tube before pulling the pan for clearance. Make sure you do this step, I fished ALOT of crap out of the bottom of the pan.

I also left the head installed. No need to remove it.

I used the engnbldrs kit with a new timing cover and the drivers side metal backed guide. Just buy the new timing cover from the, its too cheap to pass up!!!

Ted and Tod were awsume to deal with, parts were cheap and great quality, shipping was prompt and the customer service, like nobody else!!

I also used only FIPG on my oil pan, I went to the dealer and got a tube of the gasket maker they use. Put it on like my FSM says to, not a drop has leaked.

Make sure when you install the new timing cover you DONT install the Oil pump drive spline like the FSM says to. do this after. With that not in the way, you can easily get the timing cover into the dowels and get it into place.
I put the spline drive on first and almost ripped the headgasket!

Last edited by Jay351; 07-23-2009 at 02:38 PM.