Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

new thirds

Old 04-23-2009, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
new thirds

hey fellers ive finally saved up a littel cash. so my first thought was gears. im buying the complete thirds front and rear because it will be cheaper fo rme to do that and install them myself then buy new gears and get them professionially set up. im getting 5.29 thirds with a lockrite out back and an ARB in the front. i think it sounds like a pretty decent setup. this is my DD and trail rig so thats why im going ARB. im ordering teh rear next week and then ill have to save for a little while to get the front. im ordering them from a local offroad shop. they have nitro gears in them. anyone of yall run those? im gonn aget the ARB air compressor its like 250 i believe. its the bigger one that can use also to inflate your tires. im gettin some buckets so i was plannin on mounting it between the seats against the back of the cab. if thats a nono then please someone tell me. let me kno what you think good and bad and wish me luck!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would put the ARB in the rear so you dont eat tires daily driving it.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM

i thought a lockrite in the front would be harder on the front tires, turning it and the CVs? thats what i read on here
Old 04-23-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by algranger
I would put the ARB in the rear so you dont eat tires daily driving it.
x2...ARB would be way better in the rear.

Also, why not mount the compressor under the hood or in the bed of your truck? Seems like a better place than inside the cab.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:24 AM

Oh idk about with ifs but i have buddies that run a welded front with sfa. Appearantly its easy to turn unless your on pavement or something and i guess the lockright still unlocks while turning in the front. But thats a good point about the cv's idk... i would still run selectable in the rear
Old 04-23-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by yoder519
i thought a lockrite in the front would be harder on the front tires, turning it and the CVs? thats what i read on here
Yes and no. Sometimes a locker will prevent you from breaking an axle and sometimes it could cause you to break one puting too much torque on one tire. If you have a lockrite in the front and you break a cv, just unlock the hub and you still have 3 wheel drive to get yourself outta wherever you're at. Putting the lockrite in the rear will make the tires wear faster among the other "disadvantages" of having an auto locker on a DD.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 AM

Do you have ADD or manual hubs?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu

Also, why not mount the compressor under the hood or in the bed of your truck? Seems like a better place than inside the cab.
i was wanting to mount it under the hood but im not sure how the larger one would fit. i sure it would. so you guys are saying lockrite in the front would be better than in the rear?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 AM

i have manual hubs
Old 04-23-2009, 11:38 AM

i have manual hubs
You wouldn't have to worry about an auto locker in the front while DD'ing with the hubs unlocked. It would only come into play when the hubs were locked. So it is somewhat "selectable" in a way...but not really lol

i was wanting to mount it under the hood but im not sure how the larger one would fit. i sure it would. so you guys are saying lockrite in the front would be better than in the rear?
Yes. For a daily driver that would be the better option. Plus, in the future say if you were to SAS your truck, the money you used on an ARB for the front wouldn't be wasted because you could still use the rear ARB'ed axle whereas an IFS ARB would be good for nothing on your truck.

What I would do is wait with a front locker and see if you really need it after putting an ARB in the rear, and if you do, save up and get a better locker for the front rather than a "lunchbox" style. Get a Detroit or ARB for the front. But if you ever plan on SAS'ing your truck I wouln't waste any money on a locker for the front. But that's just my opinion
Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 PM

X2 on waiting to lock the front. As soon as your able to really wheel your truck with an arb in the rear, you'll test the 'limits' of your ifs and how far it can take you. Put the money aside for a sas and front arb. That would be sweet...double arb's.......drool
Old 04-23-2009, 07:29 PM

i dont plan on sasing this one im wanting to get an 85. well see how that goes. i was confused about the lunchbox type lockers. i thought even with the hubs unlocked you could still tell it was on there. i may just go lockrite front and rear.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:30 PM

oh and about about those nitro gears... any of yall had or heard of any experience with them?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu

I disagree. Try driving a truck with a rear auto locker. Its not bad at all. In fact look in my signature, click on "Aussie Locker" and read on... I think its probably the longest, most comprehensive review of an auto locker even done by man. Lock Right is pretty similar to the Aussie, so what i've written applies to your situation.

IMO mud tires have a WAY bigger negative for on-road handling than an auto locker.

You only need the front selectable locker (ARB) if you drive on snow, ice or any other situation where you drive fast in 4wd.

PM or email a member who calls himself "Zuk" as he's installed Nitro Gears on a Land Cruiser 8.5" rear end IIRC.

Last edited by Matt16; 04-23-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 AM

thanks matt! im gonna get to reading
Old 04-26-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
I disagree. Try driving a truck with a rear auto locker. Its not bad at all. In fact look in my signature, click on "Aussie Locker" and read on... I think its probably the longest, most comprehensive review of an auto locker even done by man. Lock Right is pretty similar to the Aussie, so what i've written applies to your situation.

IMO mud tires have a WAY bigger negative for on-road handling than an auto locker.

You only need the front selectable locker (ARB) if you drive on snow, ice or any other situation where you drive fast in 4wd.

PM or email a member who calls himself "Zuk" as he's installed Nitro Gears on a Land Cruiser 8.5" rear end IIRC.
If you're gunna spend the money on a quality locker like an ARB, install it where it would get the most benefit. In his case, in the rear. His truck is a dd. Having the ability to lock and unlock the locker for on road use would be a large benefit not to mention the better investment. DD'ing with a cheap locker like an aussie will put lots of wear and tear on not only the locker but the drivetrain if not driven properly. And even then, over the years it doesn't matter if you baby it, it's going to wear parts. I'm happy for you that you like your aussie. I personally like the ability to choose an open diff or locked, which is why I got an elocker. You mentioned mud tires having more negative effects on daily driving than an auto locker, more the reason to not add to those by putting an auto locker in the rear for DD'ing. And also, if he ever gets the 85 that he said earlier, he could swap over the ARB to the 85 if he chooses to rather than having an IFS ARB sitting in a truck that will not be the primary wheeling truck.

As for the brand of gears, a cheap set of gears set up properly will outlast a quality set if they aren't set up properly. If properly set up, Nitro gears would be fine.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 AM

thanks guys for all teh replies. and crap i still cant decide which way to go. 89 what do yioumean by driving it properly? like not getting on the gas hard, burnouts and whatnot? im stumped. its either gonna be arb front lockrite rear, lockrite front arb rear, or lockrite front lockrite rear. lets take a vote. its my DD and gets wheeled atleast twice a week if not more depending on my work schedule
Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lots of good info on here, also some that I don't agree with. So here's my couple of pennies.

If you have the money already set aside for the 5.29's/ARB/compressor then go that route and put the ARB in the rear. Wait for a while to get a locker for the front end. You'll be able to better wheel a double locked rig if you've "cut your teeth" on one with a single locker, just like you can wheel better with a single locker if you learned on a rig that was open front and rear. If you feel you need another locker down the road you'll have time to save for one. I agree with 89silverpu in that the ARB in the rear (since it's an 8" third) will be better for you in the long run if you end up purchasing an 85 year model later on. You then have the option of putting that ARB in the front or rear where as if you had purchased an ARB for the front then you'd be selling it to one of us (dibs!!) to recoupe some money.

I do not however agree that an auto locker in the rear is a bad thing or that it will cause stress/wear/breakage. You learn pretty quickly how to drive with an auto locker and for the most part I can't even tell it's back there. Heck I like that little "cheap" locker so much that I'm hoping to drop one in the front next month.

I hope this helps you make a decision.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 AM

got a welder? lol jk

rear arb, open front. then save for a front arb.

does your dd really need lockers front and rear?

i mean my trail rig is only locked in the rear, and it goes like a mofo!

though there is those times where I'm like, f*** i wish i had a front locker
Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
got a welder? lol jk

rear arb, open front. then save for a front arb.

does your dd really need lockers front and rear?

i mean my trail rig is only locked in the rear, and it goes like a mofo!

though there is those times where I'm like, f*** i wish i had a front locker
yea that last line is one of the reasons i want my front locked to haha. plus its only gonna run me 200 more bucks to get the thiird with a lockrite then to get it open. i ge tpaid thursday and i would have enuf to get the thirds with lockrites front and rear. dern. decisions decisioins. ireally appreciate all of ur guys opinions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new thirds