86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A new noise after working on the truck.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A new noise after working on the truck.

I have gained a new noise after swapping out the spark plugs and wires.

It sounds as if I put a wide open exhaust on my truck. When I accelerate it really just sounds like I have a crotch rocket exhaust just put on my truck.

Also, this noise isn't new, but it's just been bothering me. When I accelerate at any speed, it sounds as if someone has a noise maker in my engine. The kind of noise maker you have at a new years celebration. Or like someone is running a branch along a metal fence.

I checked and adjusted all my valve clearances and the noise is still there.

--joe
Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 PM

Header gasket is a likely culprit. Or there's a crack somewhere along your exhaust system. You're saying it's insanely loud somewhere on the exhaust, right? Otherwise, you'd just have to understand that an OHC engine with a timing chain is rather loud to begin with. Just keep a look out for valve tick or a slapping sound from your front end.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just have someone rev the engine (or rev it from the engine using the throttle body) and locate the noise. Tell us where it's coming from and we can help more from there.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:40 AM

It only makes the noise when I'm driving and I depress the accelerator. When it's sitting in neutral and I rev the engine it doesn't make either noise.

Go figure.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:36 AM

Have you pulled your valve cover and taken a look at your timing chain and guides? Maybe it's slapping the cover when the truck is under load.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 AM

Yes I pulled the valve cover. The driver side chain guide is definitely broken but hasn't separated from the bolt hole yet as only a small section of it broke off. I've checked it to see if it wiggles but it still holds it's place. It's on my list of things to replace when I do the timing chain replacement.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Joekwon80
Yes I pulled the valve cover. The driver side chain guide is definitely broken but hasn't separated from the bolt hole yet as only a small section of it broke off. I've checked it to see if it wiggles but it still holds it's place. It's on my list of things to replace when I do the timing chain replacement.
Okay, when's the last time the exhaust header was pulled from your engine? Or any exhaust work done for that matter? Because I'm still thinking your header gasket may be on the way out. You could check torque on all your header hardware with the engine warm. A bad or unsealed gasket usually makes a clicking sound though and that doesn't exactly sound like what you've described here. Always worthwhile to check a torque spec on those new spark plugs too since you said it got worse after they went in.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:48 AM

If that isn't it, my last suggestion is to check time. Maybe it's insanely advanced for some reason and is making funny sounds. That's a real reach though, normally it just pings or something at cruise.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:52 AM

So the noise isn't blaring loud. It's just loud compared to not being there at all before I did spark plugs and cables.

I torqued all the plugs to spec from the FSM. I've never removed the head gasket or exhaust manifold, but then again I just got this thing used last month. The guy who owned it before me didn't do anything to the truck other than oil changes.

Could it be I just never recognized the noise and then since I did some work I'm thinking these noises are appearing when in actuality they were there the whole time.

The clicking noise I know was there before I know that. It's just annoying.

I'm not totally convinced the exhaust noise is exhaust noise. That's just what it sounds like. A hum that shows up after going over a certain RPM. I don't have a tach. so I couldn't tell you what RPM that is.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 AM

I have been meaning to check the time because I did change the rotor and distributor cap as well. Just haven't bought the timing light yet.

I didn't even think that could make a weird sound.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 AM

I just had this thought too, but could a stuck open thermostat give me noises like this?

I'm almost positive my thermostat is stuck open.
-No heat
-Fluid flows immediately when I start the engine
-Engine never get's up to temp

Another problem I've noticed is my lower arm on my BVSV is snapped off so there is a vacuum leak.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 AM

So the noise isn't blaring loud. It's just loud compared to not being there at all before I did spark plugs and cables.

1. I torqued all the plugs to spec from the FSM. I've never removed the head gasket or exhaust manifold, but then again I just got this thing used last month. The guy who owned it before me didn't do anything to the truck other than oil changes.

2. Could it be I just never recognized the noise and then since I did some work I'm thinking these noises are appearing when in actuality they were there the whole time.

3. The clicking noise I know was there before I know that. It's just annoying.

4. I'm not totally convinced the exhaust noise is exhaust noise. That's just what it sounds like. A hum that shows up after going over a certain RPM. I don't have a tach. so I couldn't tell you what RPM that is.
I numbered things in your quite to reply, so here we go.

1. The last sentence of that paragraph is never really good. It's nice to not need work, but usually that actually just means it's been neglected, much like my truck was by my in no way mechanically inclined dad.

2. Yes. Very much so. Happens to me all the time.

3. That really does sound like your manifold is leaking a bit, especially if the click follows engine rpm. That was part of the neglect to my truck I mentioned just above.

4. Well, to be honest, most noises you hear should be exhaust. It's just important to know where the sounds are coming from. A stethoscope is really helpful.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:02 AM

I didn't even think that could make a weird sound.
Like I said, it's a serious stretch.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:06 AM

Thanks Black Beauty,

I'll check the manifold for leaks as soon as the snow melts from the car.

I just hate how coincidental auto noises are with maintenance! You fix one thing and notice something else I guess.

I will say when I pulled plug 4 it was heavily corroded on the ceramic at the spark point and the wire had also rusted. SO maybe something is going on with the 4th cylinder now that it has a working spark plug in it.

--Joe
Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Do the Seafoam Treatment and when you start it up, look for smoke around the exhaust components.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 AM

Terry could you elaborate more on this sea foam treatment? I've never heard of it and doing a little searching I'm intrigued.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I take the brake booster hose off and slowly pour a little Seafoam into it while idling. Dont want to pour so much that you hydrolock the motor. After getting about a 1/4th of a can in it, shut the truck off and let it sit about 5-10 minutes. Then start it up.

It will blow smoke out the tail pipe and you may think the house is on fire. It smokes alot!!! Look around your exhaust manifold and see where smoke is coming out. It helps clean the carbon out of the motor and is something a do once a year as regular maintaince on mine. Several threads on Seafoam. It can help a dirty motor run smoother.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is some more info and links

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...d-stuff-64836/
https://www.yotatech.com/442980-post332.html
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...verdict-69490/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-truth-160614/
Old 01-30-2014, 07:02 AM

Thanks. I'll track this issue down one way or another!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About your thermostat:

When you say fluid flows, do you mean in the radiator? Fluid will flow through the heater core even when cold, but should not flow through the radiator immediately. If so, it's either stuck open or non-existent, as in they removed it because of some other issue.

Sounds like your previous owner avoided issues rather than fix them.

If the noise is RPM related, at least you can rule out your drive train, alignment, etc.

Quick Reply: A new noise after working on the truck.