86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New noise, 89 22re, sloshing/whisking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
New noise, 89 22re, sloshing/whisking?

Well at a stop light today I noticed a new noise coming from the 4runner. It sounds like *slosh-slosh-slosh-slosh*(sort of), is matched to the rpms of the motor, doesn't do it all the time but it's doing it a little more tonight than it was this afternoon and seems to be coming from the 5 speed tranny. I would suspect throw-out bearing but was told it was replaced (yeah, I know). The tranny has gotten harder to get into gear in the last few weeks if that helps at all.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
got video?

Seriously, did your truck make this many wierdass noises??? ehheheheh!!!! j/k!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it make the noise while you hold the clutch pedal to the floor or just when the clutch is released?
Old 03-31-2009, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
got video?

Seriously, did your truck make this many wierdass noises??? ehheheheh!!!! j/k!

No way to even take a video, and no the truck didn't make any noise at all. Stop saying things like that or I'll do a 180 and sell the 4runner..... you're just trying to confuse me.

Originally Posted by Dbl. E
Does it make the noise while you hold the clutch pedal to the floor or just when the clutch is released?

Doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out, in gear or not. If I could get it to make the noise when I'm at home in the garage I could probably find it. So far it only does it when it wants to and I guess it just doesn't want to make noise when I can look for it. I swear 1st gen runners are like children.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:40 AM

update

Okey dokey. I have an update.

It now does it almost all the time. At a stop light a little while ago it was really apparent so I went down on the shifter and put my ear to the top of the stick (like you would when using a ratchet extension to listen to the drive train) and I could hear a rotating noise as well as what sounded like the gears spinning. Ok the noise will stop as soon as I put the rig in gear and ease out on the clutch.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
No way to even take a video, and no the truck didn't make any noise at all. Stop saying things like that or I'll do a 180 and sell the 4runner..... you're just trying to confuse me.
OH NO!!! Don't do that!!! You're just enjoying the "newness" of your new rig! Everybody does! When I haven't driven my truck in a long while, I notice all sorts of stuff I didn't notice before.

Okey dokey. I have an update.

It now does it almost all the time. At a stop light a little while ago it was really apparent so I went down on the shifter and put my ear to the top of the stick (like you would when using a ratchet extension to listen to the drive train) and I could hear a rotating noise as well as what sounded like the gears spinning. Ok the noise will stop as soon as I put the rig in gear and ease out on the clutch.
This was when you had the clutch pedal to the floor? I think you have the right idea with the t/o bearing. With the clutch in it's pushing against the fingers, spinning(gearish noise). I suppose, makes sence to me...
Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
This was when you had the clutch pedal to the floor? I think you have the right idea with the t/o bearing. With the clutch in it's pushing against the fingers, spinning(gearish noise). I suppose, makes sence to me...
It makes the noise all the time (clutch in or out doesn't matter) up until I ease up on the pedal with the rig in gear. A soon as there is resistance (the rig begins to move/you can feel the motor starting to engage the tranny) the noise goes away.

I've priced a clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot bearing, install tool) and although it's a bit pricey I think I can afford it just as long as I do the install myself. Yeah that's going to be a long @$$ weekend of dropping the tranny and all.........
Old 03-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

It makes the noise all the time (clutch in or out doesn't matter) up until I ease up on the pedal with the rig in gear. A soon as there is resistance (the rig begins to move/you can feel the motor starting to engage the tranny) the noise goes away.

I've priced a clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot bearing, install tool) and although it's a bit pricey I think I can afford it just as long as I do the install myself. Yeah that's going to be a long @$$ weekend of dropping the tranny and all.........
Hmmmmmm, well sounds like a project!! lol! Hey, I would also get that seal replaced on the input shaft on the tranny too. Get a tranny jack if you can. I dunno if your doing this all by yourself, but it'll make it easier. I did mine in a weekend, started Friday and had it back together Sunday. I also replaced the TO bearing retainer and retainer clips because it was shot and the clips were missing...