Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Member with questions, please

Old 10-02-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member with questions, please

Hi all; Name is Joe and I am new here. Long story short, I recently picked up an 88' pick-up off Craigslist for my teenage son without knowing much about these trucks. Body is great, no rust, no sign of leaks, etc. Odometer works and reads 185,xxx miles. Engine started and ran good when I tested it. Couldn't test drive because the manual clutch was out and tires were dangerous.

Trailered it home and have been working on it for several weeks. One of the first things I discovered is it has a 22RE EFI engine with a factory turbo set-up and the R151F transmission. I guess that is somewhat rare. Most of the research that I've done says this wasn't an option in model year 1988? The VIN and door plate say it was manufactured in April 1988. Weird.

Anyway, I replaced the clutch, tires, shocks, and all fluids front to back. Started driving it to work and after a few days it started overheating and blowing white smoke on start-up. Drat! Head gasket. It is currently parked in my garage with the engine torn down to remove the head. I got the head-off yesterday afternoon and discovered the water jacket ports on cylinder #3 are eroded into the cylinder. Damn, need a new head. Oil was clean and no signs of coolant so I am pretty confident there was no contamination in the lower engine. Piston have some carbon build-upon top but appear to be OK as far as I can tell without digging further.

My main questions are: 1) does it make sense to try to re-build this engine or should I consider replacement? I can get a remanufactured 22RE locally for about $1200. I'll have at least half of that in parts if I try to rebuild what I already know needs replacing. 2) Was the 22RE turbo offered in 88' or is it likely the engine/tranny has already been swapped before? If the engine was already been swapped in the past I have no idea how many miles are on it. PO knew almost nothing about the truck and had never even registered it from the owner before him. 3) I've read the 22RE turbos were problematic and unreliable. Not sure whether to keep the turbo or go without? Anyone have any input?

Sorry for the long post, but I'd appreciate some experienced feedback. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
First someone installed that engine I hope complete and not just pieces here and there .

Those turbos are prone to cracking .

Many of the parts are obsolete .

I Have 3 of these engines I sold a running one for $1600.00 it went in a 85 Celica

I was planning a 3.4 Swap for the truck it came out just to busy.

I myself would rebuild my own engine unless lack of time and not having the place or skills keeps you from doing it

If these 22Re engines are built local it is not to bad so many Horror stories from ones built 1000 miles away that you need to ship back for warranty inspection only for them to say installer error .

You do have the option of getting a used head putting it together and drive it till the bottom end goes

It all comes down to just what your end game is.

The turbo when things are working correct does make the truck a little more fun to drive

The real question how does your son feel ??
Old 10-02-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
The serial number of the truck should tell whether or not the truck is a factory turbo truck.

Ask a Toyota dealer.

Probably more reliable without the turbo, but might need a different ECU???

I don't know enough about turbo trucks to say for sure what all needs to be changed to run without turbo..

I do know that Non-turbo 22res' have substantially higher factory. compression, so you can't just do a turbo delete
and still run turbo head and pistons if you want to make the power that a stock non-turbo engine makes.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:07 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Wyoming hit nail on the head. What do you want to do with truck or son. Always a crap shoot when buying a 28 year truck. Prolly easiest to keep it as is instead of converting back 22RE. I recommend you use toyota head gasket most other seals are no big deal but head gasket is exception.

Cool score and a lucky son.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses. I agree that the engine and tranny are probably not original, but I'll try running the VIN at the dealership as suggested. May be a real can of worms if it has been half-assed. I'm not really concerned about having the turbo. I'd rather have a reliable vehicle for him to drive. He likes the truck, but he likes my 2000 4-runner better.