86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New member/cigarette lighter outlet question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member/cigarette lighter outlet question

Hello all...have loved the sight for years and just joined. I have owned a 3rd gen 4runner since '07 and just convinced my girlfriend I needed an 87 4runner for a work/fishing and hunting vehicle. Anyway the p.o. seems to have been a bit of a rogue with regard to electrical work... anyone out there have a pic of the stock power outlet wiring? Mine is butchered and I haven't had the funds to purchase a fsm with the wiring diagrams off ebay. I know I could rewire it but I would like to have it function as stock with the backlight and all.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:57 PM

dont have the diagrams but usually the outlet wires get hacked is bcause its an easy place to get switched power from, however its a low output and wont operate certain accessories, such as c.b. or even smart phone chargers. some poeple rewire them directly to the batt to aviod this.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:47 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

the red/green stripe is power

white /black stripe is ground with another ground for the light
Old 03-31-2014, 07:27 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by lobukbuild
... however its a low output and wont operate certain accessories, such as c.b. or even smart phone chargers. some poeple rewire them directly to the batt to aviod this.
The cigarette lighter circuit is 15A. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../2powersou.pdf (180watts, potentially). If your c.b. (?) or phone charger draws more than that, it's broken.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:13 PM

you are correct but ive seen and experienced this situation and researched it out only to find out that the only fix is to run a larger wire from the cig socket to a direct source.after connecting my cb and having it not work properly i went to a friend auto accessory shop to be checked out. he instantly said certain electronics just wont operate of this curcuit especialy smart phone chargers. this was on a 93 trk. maybe they have change on the newer trks.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have never had any problems running any plug in my lighter sockets .

Enough watts to heat up the lighter sure is enough to power any CB radio or charger.

I am sure I can talk you into spending money to make sure your goodies work. A cheap new power port and a hour labor to install.

The problems is the cheap plugs on chargers are sometimes to small or the lighter sockets are corroded from old age.

If devices are causing the 15 amp fuse to open something is drawing way to much current.

Last edited by wyoming9; 03-31-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:42 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9

Enough watts to heat up the lighter sure is enough to power any CB radio or charger.

I am sure I can talk you into spending money to make sure your goodies work. A cheap new power port and a hour labor to install.

The problems is the cheap plugs on chargers are sometimes to small or the lighter sockets are corroded from old age.

If devices are causing the 15 amp fuse to open something is drawing way to much current.
Agree 110%
Old 04-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9

he didnt charge me, i offer, but he never takes my money. its something to do with suppression noise. idk im not an electrician but im not an idiot either. ive had other friends run into the same issue, my regular pos phone charged fine but my companies galexie would not. idk just saying