Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New member with '92 Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member with '92 Truck

Howdy! I am a new member with this '92 SR5 4x4. I live in Colorado and recently scored this truck in Boulder. It is in absolutely amazing shape for a Colorado truck of this vintage. It was owned by a little old lady who used it as a "gardening tool" and kept it aging like a fine wine for 20 years... just for me! Pretty much the kind of deal you dream of in a used Toyota Truck... Has 105k on the clock which averages out to about 5k a year. Any less and I'd be worried it wasn't driven enough... and I'm the 2nd owner! V6, 5-speed, 4WD, It was obviously the top of the line Toy Truck in 1992... bucket seats, stock stereo cassette/CD... even a really nice tilt moonroof... and it's all cherry. Also has new Michelin LTXs. I don't mean to gloat, especially since I'm new to YotaTech, but I just can't help it... I'm so excited and I just can't hide it. Haha... I love what you do for me! TOYOTA!

I just thought I'd introduce myself before jumping in the mix. I've already used the search tool a bunch and there is some good info on here, which is why I joined. I currently also own a 2001 Tundra and have owned many Yota's over the years including a '96 T100, and an '86 Runner. I learned to drive in my Dad's 89' Truck... so it's safe to say I'm obsessed which is why I bought this truck... I saw it on Craigslist and was hooked like a trout and just couldn't help myself. Add to that the fact that I was the first to respond to the ad and it all just happened so fast. I was shopping for a vehicle for my gf at the time and didn't bother to ask her opinion... I just bought it... Like I said I have an obsession about Toyotas Trucks... and I'm sure you guys can relate! Haha...

Only major quirk with this truck right now is a badly leaking PS pump. Found some good rebuild threads I think I'm going to follow... Seems straight forward enough. In some of the pictures you can see that the truck came with a deer-killer on the front and a Marty Mcfly roll-bar in the bed, both of which where rusting and looked like crap so I removed them both. Unfortunately, The rust did get to the bed a bit, but it is not too bad so I think I can clean it up enough to throw a spray-in liner in there. It also came with a slide in liner but they cut holes in it for the roll-bar which makes it pretty much useless. While I was removing the roll bar I could feel stuff crunching under my feet under the liner. Once I got it out I found up to 5 inches in spots of gardening dirt under there. I included a photo of it to illustrate yet again why spray-in liners are so much better. Luckily because this truck was garaged its whole life the damage it caused to the bed was minimal. The roll-bar rust spread and caused more damage because of how it was bolted through the bed... but I think it's fixable with a bit of JB-Weld... we'll see.

Anyway, don't want to talk your ear off and wear out my welcome so soon... Check out some of the pics I have so far... Thanks to all you long-time members for all your info and your die-hard love for these trucks!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck looks mint and I like your username! Welcome aboard!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Truck looks good! Welcome!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:21 AM

Sweet rig, nice score.

Welcome.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was just about to post something about having the roll bar and bedliner accumulating a ton of dirt and crud. Then I saw the last pic!
If you plan on using the bed without the roll bar, get yourself another plastic bed liner.
My truck bed looked brand new underneath (93 pickup, 3rd owner).
Old 03-16-2012, 12:32 PM

Nice!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Thanks for welcoming me to the site. Thought I'd mention that the grill-guard and the plastic bed-liner are up for grabs if anyone wants them. I trashed the roll-bar cause it wasn't that cool and ironically enough is the only thing that has managed to do damage to the truck in 20 years. The grill-guard fit the truck perfectly and is pretty tough, but is a little rusty and I don't like it enough to clean it up and put it back on. I have the mounting hardware for it too. If you want it it's yours. PM me. The bed liner has four 6" holes in it and could be silicone-sealed once in place. I might just put it back in the truck for now cause it takes up space in my yard and I'll take it back out if you want it.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:38 PM

Nice looking truck, man! What to do you plan to do with it?

O BTW welcome to Yotatech!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a solid looking truck, reminds me of my 92'. Freaking LOVED that thing. Don't listen to anybody about the 3.0 being unreliable, if you take care of your truck, it will take care of you. I had almost 250k on mine and it ran PERFECTLY. Welcome to YT!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 AM

It's not that the 3.0 is unreliable, it just has 4-cyl power with V8 mileage... I'm just glad this truck is a 5-speed. I wouldn't have bought it had it been an auto. I think as long as you get the timing belt and the valves adjusted on time this engine should be as reliable as the 22re.

I think I'm going to keep this truck stock since it is in such beautiful shape. I don't want to spend money on suspension mods that can have adverse affects on CVs and U-joints. These trucks are plenty capable completely stock and I don't plan on doing a lot of wheelin besides camping trips here in the Rockies and the Utah desert. I'm not much of an off-road enthusiast, I just like to go off-road to get away from the crowds and find primitive campsites... If I can find a used matching topper I might add it, but not likely gonna find one in good enough shape for this old a truck.

To be honest, I am in quite a conundrum right now... As I mentioned above, I bought this truck for my gf without asking her opinion... Well, with some women this can be a mistake... turns out she doesn't really like it... says the ride is too stiff and there's not enough room in the cab blah blah blah... So I actually have this truck up for sale on craigslist again. If you come across the ad you will see I have it up for an exorbitant amount and that's just because I want to make her think I'm trying to sell it even though I don't really want to... and if someone does want it at that price then I'm happy to sell it... Not entirely impossible here in Colorado where these trucks, especially in this condition, still get good money... I mean try finding even a Tacoma with these low miles and condition. In the mean time this will be my daily driver as it gets 20mpgs (compared to 17 in my Tundra). I didn't want to admit this to you guys here on the forum but I might as well come clean and I'm sure you guys can sympathize with this horrible situation I am in. It's like I'm having a love affair with this truck... and the gf is getting jealous...

That being said, if anyone on this forum is interested in this truck I would let it go to you at a fair price... The only problem with it is the leaking PS pump, which I plan on fixing soon. I don't mean to turn this into a classified ad but I figure you all deserve a crack at it. It's such a nice truck, I'd rather it go to someone who will appreciate it as much as I do.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:45 AM

Awesome find bro! I'm new also...Are you planning on any more mods? Any lifts or tires in the future for ya? I love those pickups, I wanted one of those but i have four kids and can barely fit them all in the 4runner as is!