86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New to me 4Runner need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 4Runner need advice

Just bought a 87 4 runner 4x4 with 22re
i bought it not running, previous owner thought fuel pump was
bad. I assumed the relay was bad, got it home and he had taken fuel pump out to test it and forgot to put it in the rig.
it will crank and fire with a small shot of starting fluid. I got it to hit so I was happy with that until I get the pump and bracket from him
it seems to have a lot of the vacum lines blocked off, is this common
also has a torn cv boot, is this hard to replace
also off the positive battery cable there is a small hot wire ran to a small box behind the battery and seems to power accessories??
is this common
vehicle has not run in a few years is their anything else I should check before I install fuel pump and hopefully fire it up
Old 12-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
All vacuum lines need to be connected and routed correctly. That is one of the first things I would start on.

A truck that has been sitting for a few years, the fuel gets bad and can cause a mess. Depending on how your fuel system is, I might would start cleaning it up starting from the tank all the way to the motor. In all of my builds, the fuel system is one of the first projects I start on and any of the builds in my signature link, there is plenty of information to get you started in the right direction listed on the first page.

Once you get your fuel pump in, you can jumper Fp/+B https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51760299

On the CV boot, I would just replace it with one from the local part store with a complete shaft as long as it is just a daily driver. Not hard to do, just getting the bolts broke loose is one of the toughest things to do. There are a few threads on here that has some tips that can help on swapping the shaft.

Random wires running off of batteries is previous owners doings, picture is about the only way any body to see what you are talking about.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:36 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

A little late but it never hurts to squirt some penetrating oil in the cylinders .

Be a shame if the rings were rusted fast and running it caused the rings to break

You have your work cut out I hope you have the time and budget to get it done.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too
i just want to get it running to use around the farm
its no show winner
it's well worth the money I gave for it
Old 12-25-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Rudyk
Just bought a 87 4 runner 4x4 with 22re
Welcome to the forum.
I suggest you start by restoring truck to stock electrical configuration. Unless you are good in showing us (drawings, pictures, schematics) what you have right in front of you, it would be difficult to help you troubleshoot a heavily-modified truck.

May I also suggest you put the year-model-trim-transmission of your truck in you signature?
We are may miles away from you so we do no see what you have right in front of you (especially if it's heavily-modified), and Yotas come in many year-model-trim-transmission versions and even a manual and auto transmission 4Runner of same year-trim have differences in schematics that will make a difference in troubleshooting.

Best wishes on your project. We are happy to help if you do your homework giving us a good picture of what you have right in front of you.