Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New to me 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
New to me 4Runner

I found this on CS the other week and picked it up over this past weekend. She is a wee bit rough but not too terrible (I Hope). She has a bit of cancer but all in all not too much. I believe she has been beat on quite hard.

Starts fine, idles great, drives ok.

The needs (that I know of):
4 tires (31's factory may go to 33's), front rotors & brakes, probably rear as well, all fluids need changed (coolant I don't like, I hope its rust and not stop leak), trans fluid not looking real well, rear end leaks a bit. Has a horrible wet, dead, dirty, moldy dog smell.

Now for the plus side, o-ya their is one. Traded straight up for a 1980 Honda 750 custom that has not been started in 2.5 years...so I basically paid nothing for it. Everything works, power windows, back window, moon roof, cruse, rear heater, 4 wheel works and goes into low easily as well. Trans is smooth although fluid is not good looking, tow package (no hitch, will never understand that).

So far I have gotten her cleaned up an bit and working on getting the smell out...The first few picks are before cleaning then after.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:50 PM

A little cleaner now!!!

After a few washes and carpet cleaner. I'm hoping the smell is gone so I can take her for a drive tomorrow.

The cup holder really ticks me off!!!

Last edited by Lumpy; 05-05-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
She cleans up nicely!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, soap and elbow grease sure make a difference. I see the cupholder you're missing all over junkyards so it shouldn't be too difficult to find one.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:41 PM

...yup, give her some lovin' and she'll respond well.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:53 PM

I'm not sure what to do with the cup holder, I'm really irked!!! Someone mangled it...for why, not sure???

Old 05-05-2009, 06:07 PM

OK, not real happy now. Just got done going over the underneath (Photo later, too late no light).
Boot on the driver side gone...(Should I just do both half shafts??? more than likely)
Sway bar linkage pulled out of the lower A-Arm on the drivers side
Rear brakes shot, drums ok
A bit of cancer underneath...too much, holes just beyond driver rear door (should be easy)
Rear heater piping leaking on bracket just before it goes up...(real easy, I hope).

Pro's........
Trans not leaking+++++
eng not leaking oil or coolant++++
Front 3rd mem no leaking+++++

Ok not too many Pro's, but I think i can do something with her and get her going. Just the opp of the truck...

I think I really need a mig...Have ready access to a DC ark...I just don't think it'll go low enough for sheet metal.

Still smells like old, moldy, wet, dead, dog!!!!!! I think that is the worst part!!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:10 PM

Probably the little catch for the bottom broke and they didn't know how to take it out. It is a really simple fix and if you search for the LED dash light threads, there are a couple that explain in detail how to remove everything so you can get it replaced. It is really just a matter of removing some screws and unplugging a few wire connectors and you will have it out.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:16 PM

I really hate dash work...I'll getter soon, just a pain to add to the list.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
These dashes are EASY to take out
Old 05-15-2009, 06:31 AM

Update, just in case anyone is wondering...

Thanks to some help I have found some miracle odor eliminator. This thing stunk like old, wet, dead, moldy, dog!!! Swept it out, Febrezed the heck out of it, Arm&Hammered it and it still stunk...Until I was told about OdoBan!!! Love it!!! Stink all gone, unbelievable...I can't remember the chap that told me about it though...sorry.

Now for the bad news. Both Lower control arms are shot, rusted out. She is going to need more work than I thought...But there is hope. RMA is parting out a 90 and getting a box of goodies together for me!!! Thank you RMA!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:37 PM

I think your dog smell is going to come back. It's a pretty good sign you got water leaking in and mildewing the carpet. The thing about rust is you only see about 10% of what's really there. I suspect there's holes in the floorboard. They go hand in hand with wet carpet.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i have a feeling that truck has been in an accident or at least been repainted...
its an SR5 and it doesnt have a stripe package and that pinstriping that it has isnt factory...

in fact, i saw on TRUCKS! the other day how to do a pinstripe job just like that one... only they did it on a fullsize chevy...
Old 05-15-2009, 06:04 PM

I know it has been repainted, well at least suspected it...I have not bothered to do a car fax on it and don't plan on it not all that concerned. I'll fix what I need to and move on.

Is it normal for the SR5 with the tow package to have the trailer wires just in the back and not really tied up nice??? I have not had a chance to trace the wires yet, maybe I'll have time this weekend. It does not have a hitch which I find odd, maybe not.

As far as the smell and water goes...I think the floors are alright and I have not seen a leak. The PO had a (said he had, didn't see it just heard it) 80 pound pitbull. The kid was not the cleanest chap around either...I think the dog was in it when they didn't drive it. Make shift dog house. Found a broken latch for a dog chain on the spare tire
Old 05-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Thanks to some help I have found some miracle odor eliminator. This thing stunk like old, wet, dead, moldy, dog!!! Swept it out, Febrezed the heck out of it, Arm&Hammered it and it still stunk...Until I was told about OdoBan!!! Love it!!! Stink all gone, unbelievable...I can't remember the chap that told me about it though...sorry.

Just rip carpet out smell should be gone after that. Plus you need to check for more rust. Rhino line it.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:27 PM

Rino

And we continue...I thought I rid myself of the smell...well it came back... I have found a small leak near the rear drivers window in by the wheel well. Going to get to that tomorrow. Today the carpet cam out and the Rhino Liner went in!!!

at the beginning...

Finished but not done

The interior back together...

It was quite a day but now I'm done and happy!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 03:10 PM

Looks great.

Those headrests on the front seats look like the ones from the back seats...mine dont look like that...maybe its an sr5 option. lol.

How long did that take you, The whole day? Im thinking I want to just do my cargo area with the bed liner.

Last edited by Tubbyfatty; 05-30-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:29 PM

They maybe from the back, they were like that when I got it. Not sure???

It took a few hours, I had all the seats and the carpet out yesterday.
I guess it took about 3.5 hours to do it all, that's including drying time, not replacing the interior. With the interior about 4.5 hours, I suppose. It really was not all that bad.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:30 PM

Last edited by Lumpy; 05-30-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:16 PM

New Shoes

I found some 33x12.5 a bit used but a good price. Also have got a spare that never got dirty. So I took the 31 spare from the runner and going to use that on the truck.

There's Colby, Love my yellow dog!!!

I'm Happy!!!

Best part, no rub with normal driving. Going to head through the yard a bit later this week to see if I can get them to hit.

I'll have better shots when she is all clean and better light.

Quick Reply: New to me 4Runner