Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Leaf Springs/ Rough ride...ZUK?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New Leaf Springs/ Rough ride...ZUK?

I just purchased new leaf springs for my 1993 Toyota Pickup ext. cab 4x4 V6. I purchased it with Skyjacker SoftRide springs that gave a 4" lift and it rode horribly. I replaced the leaf pack with some OEM style packs from SDtrucksprings (http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....oducts_id=7504) model 90-135. I also replaced the rear shocks with some Skyjacker Hydro7000s (0-2" lift). After installing the new leaf springs, the rear of the truck looked like it was sagging, so I installed some 2" Lift Shackles. The truck sits almost level but the NEW leaf packs are almost flat with no arch (maybe 0.5" of free space between the bottom spring and the overload spring) and the truck rides super rough. By rough I mean it jolts and rattles and lurches over even the smallest bumps....you feel it in your spine. The truck rode the same way with the stock shackles in it. I There is good space between the leaf pack and the bump stop so I dont know if they are hitting. Could the springs be bad from the manufacturer? Ive done research on the ZUK mod and it seems people go either way with it....some say it roughens the ride, others say it softens the ride. Ive Googled and Googled and searched and searched and I can not for the life of me find what size spring to use that would replace the 2" lift shackles, Level the truck out and soften the ride a bit. She is 98% of the time a commuter, very rarely sees a trail.

The front suspension has a 1.5" BJS, Diff and sway bar drop, and new Hydro 7000's. I have not touched the Torsion bars. Pictures included.........I understand its a light weight yota and they ride rough to begin with, but this seems extreme. Any help you guys can give would be great.
Attached Thumbnails New Leaf Springs/ Rough ride...ZUK?-resized_20170210_142554.jpeg   New Leaf Springs/ Rough ride...ZUK?-resized_20170210_142602.jpeg  
Old 02-10-2017, 11:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is a truck when empty it is going to ride some what rough.

Just what are you comparing the ride with ??

Put about 500 pounds in the bed see how it rides
Old 02-10-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Did you put springs in backwards? Axle is too far forward.

Anytime you you go to lift a vehicle by using same length spring but more arch the ride gets rough. Maybe if you pony up for alacan made not or not as bad. If you want to lift and keep same ride quality you need to go to a longer spring. Compare spring rates. Skyjacker is well know for a crappie ride.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Springs are right, long side back. But it does look a tad forward.

But those springs look shot. If they are new they shouldnt be that flat? Maybe put an add a leaf in them? or hate to say it, but try another set pf springs.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 02-10-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Take a pound or two off your tire pressure, It makes a big difference. When I notice my 94 isn't riding like a skate board over the concrete expansion joints it's when I know the tires are low..

Tires are part of the suspension system on older vehicles, we don't have the new fangled low profile crap er-uh stuff that's just there for traction.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:37 PM

The leaf packs are brand new that is why I was wondering if they were a manufactured defect. I bought the truck with the Skyjackers on it so I have no reference to what a stock, healthy leaf pack on this year truck should look like. Ive owned a myriad of trucks before, even another Toyota, but this truck rides sooo rough....like unusually rough, which is why I asked about the ZUK mod and if a spring would assist in the ride quality. To whom ever said to ride around with 500 lbs in the back...NO, I am not going to do that when the truck is used primarily as a DD, that's just stupid. I thank everyone else that sincerely put thought into their response.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:03 PM

Would removing a leaf from the Skyjacker softride's soften them up a bit? Theyre a 3/1 pack like stock just have a meaner arch.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Remme
Would removing a leaf from the Skyjacker softride's soften them up a bit? Theyre a 3/1 pack like stock just have a meaner arch.
yep you're on the right track there
Old 02-11-2017, 02:38 AM

Next question? Are they the right springs for the year?? Yota used several different lengths.

can you get a pic of underneath? I'd like to see distance between bump stops.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

stupid that is me !!

Some days the having to go to work at 11 shows .

School would have been nice

Last edited by wyoming9; 02-11-2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: to stupid to remember
Old 02-11-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Next question? Are they the right springs for the year?? Yota used several different lengths.

can you get a pic of underneath? I'd like to see distance between bump stops.

The site ssid for a 1993 Toyota Pickup 4x4 extra cab....which is what I have. Here is a pic of the bump stop...
Attached Thumbnails New Leaf Springs/ Rough ride...ZUK?-20170211_140634.jpg  
Old 02-11-2017, 02:41 PM

The leaf packs are brand new that is why I was wondering if they were a manufactured defect. I bought the truck with the Skyjackers on it so I have no reference to what a stock, healthy leaf pack on this year truck should look like. Ive owned a myriad of trucks before, even another Toyota, but this truck rides sooo rough....like unusually rough, which is why I asked about the ZUK mod and if a spring would assist in the ride quality. To whom ever said to ride around with 500 lbs in the back...NO, I am not going to do that when the truck is used primarily as a DD, that's just stupid. I thank everyone else that sincerely put thought into their response.
so the reason he suggested adding weight to back is: stock length and more arch makes increase spring rate. So adding weight will make the ride feel better. If your hitting bump stops do Zuk mod to add more spring.

Testing out both methods and see what works best.

Me I'd drop tank, measure pinion angle, install new hangars 10.5" forward of stock hangar, get a set of chevy 63's, move my rear shackle mount back 3", crunch some math, make some longer shackles. Lift and plush ride while recentering axle in wheel well. Was a fun project. Need new shocks, wanting Rancho 5000s but funds

let us us know what you find out.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
so the reason he suggested adding weight to back is: stock length and more arch makes increase spring rate. So adding weight will make the ride feel better. If your hitting bump stops do Zuk mod to add more spring.

Testing out both methods and see what works best.

Me I'd drop tank, measure pinion angle, install new hangars 10.5" forward of stock hangar, get a set of chevy 63's, move my rear shackle mount back 3", crunch some math, make some longer shackles. Lift and plush ride while recentering axle in wheel well. Was a fun project. Need new shocks, wanting Rancho 5000s but funds

let us us know what you find out.
I took the Skyjackers off. The brand new OEM are sitting flatter than i suspected...so more weight would be counterintuitive
Old 02-11-2017, 06:40 PM

I took the Skyjackers off. The brand new OEM are sitting flatter than i suspected...so more weight would be counterintuitive
i miss understood you. Zuk mod may help out. I've never gone that route so I'm not much help.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:18 PM

You should probably measure those "135s" and make sure you got the right parts and not a set of "115s". Someone else mentioned it doesn't look centered properly.

89+ should be 29.25" from center pin to rear, 88- are 26.75" according to their data..
Old 02-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2 cents here....if you're gonna go zuk mod, take out a leaf or two. coils will still lift your ride, for sure, and bring some arch about. but, with a full pack and a coil.... it'll ride even more rough. you'll need longer than stock shackles, too.

having said that, i'm inclined to agree with others that have said something's not right with your new set leaf up.

one more thing....has your bed been chopped in length?

Last edited by thook; 02-12-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:35 AM

I measured the springs this AM when I got home from work. Around 29" and change. Waiting to hear back from SDtrucksprings about a return, Im inclined to think the springs are faulty.

Yes, I bobbed the bed just under a foot to get rid of rust issues. Sprayed the frame too. Looked cool w the rake I had from the Skyjacker springs...just couldnt handle bouncing all over the road. I dont have a spare or a rear bumper so the ass end is really light.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
...so more weight would be counterintuitive
in defense of what was posted earlier, actually adding weight would dampen the ride. i know this from experience of hauling a lot of crap myself with an otherwise overly stiff suspension. not sure why it has that effect. i'd have to think about it, but i don't feel like thinking right now.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thook
in defense of what was posted earlier, actually adding weight would dampen the ride. i know this from experience of hauling a lot of crap myself with an otherwise overly stiff suspension. not sure why it has that effect. i'd have to think about it, but i don't feel like thinking right now.

when more weight is in the back, the springs would be easier to compress, than it would to 'buck' the rear load. Plus, your tail isn't sailing when you go over that bump, because your load naturally wants to get back to the ground asap.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:06 PM

I measured the springs this AM when I got home from work. Around 29" and change. Waiting to hear back from SDtrucksprings about a return, Im inclined to think the springs are faulty.

Yes, I bobbed the bed just under a foot to get rid of rust issues. Sprayed the frame too. Looked cool w the rake I had from the Skyjacker springs...just couldnt handle bouncing all over the road. I dont have a spare or a rear bumper so the ass end is really light.
The photo angle in the first image could be a perspective thing, but go ahead and measure the front of you would they say it's 22inch. How is the ride height as measured at the front eyelet, OEM is 16 something from memory.

I have to agree those springs aren't up to par no matter what they measure at, you should be sitting higher with a bobbed bed.