Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to the IFS world. What should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 08:42 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
New to the IFS world. What should I expect?

Soon I'm gonna have running my *new* 1987 4x4 short-box. My other vehicle I've had for a few years now (my first car) is an 83 truck. I know both of these vehicles have a 22R engine. And my 83 a solid front axle, and a water choke, but besides that, what other things should I expect different?

Oh and PS, when I turn sharply any direction I hear a grinding noise from what I think may be the suspension as it only grinds when going over bumps and I have stock tires and no lift. Anyone have suggestions on that?
Old 12-17-2016, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The two motors are different. 84 and older is one style motor and the 85 and newer are another style motor. Make sure you order parts the correct parts for each of them. Some parts will interchange.

On a sharp turn, there is a physical stop that at one time had a rubber tip on it but is probably long gone by now. Some put grease on them and some have replaced the rubber tip.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Where would this rubber tip be?
Old 12-18-2016, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing you can expect to be different is that the ifs will handle much better on the road at high speeds, it will also handle bumps on the road better.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rubber tip is on the steering steering stop on the knuckle and it hits on a tab on the lower control arm when steering is at full lock. there are 2 per side, 4 total
Old 12-18-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
^ and they are plastic not rubber. I worked at a stealership and replaced dozens. they have a hex on the outside, so use a socket and an extension to install with a hammer (doesn't take more than a tap or they break). We used to clean the tab that they contact and apply a little grease there and a little inside the cap when installing. This would make them last a little longer and keep them from making noise for a little while after they wore thru. but they will still be gone soon unless you never turn hard over. You also want to make sure all of the stops are adjusted to make contact equally (one on each side touching at the same time).