86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new here need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new here need help

As title says I'm new here but have been on toyotanation for years..just that their 4runner forums are kind of dead....well my issue is I have a problem w my 91 runner v6 the 3fe engine....it has the cel 71...and o/d 64...I think 71 is egr and 64 is transmission ...thing is I don't know what to look for in the transmission and what to do to fix it...and I tired searching but the answers are there but to a noob like me...I dont know what or.where the start...I've read somewhere it cud be the trans locking or it cud.be severe short circuit 3 or something ....please help...thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Take it into a shop/dealer if you feel like you're in over your head. There is no shame in that. I mean atleast you noticed and care the light is on, most people don't..

The code 71 is the egr temp. Either the sensor has failed, the ports are clogged, or one of the valves are stuck.

FSM Engine section. The "Emissions control system - EGR" section shows the layout and test proceedures. The "MFI System--EGR Gas Temp Sensor" section shows the proceedure to test that sensor, you can get a sense for if it's bad or not without pulling it by warming up the engine going for a highway drive and checking it's resistance so long as it's warm to the touch and the resistance isn't in the Mega-Ohm range it might be ok. The "MFI System--Diagnostics", contains the proceedure to verify it has been fixed or not.

Trans code 64 is the "lock up solenoid", specificly the ECU can't read it's position.

FSM transmission section. Look inside the drivers door to identify the transmission type. It's the second portion of the "ATM" code. The "Diagnosis system" section has a flowchart to run thru to test code 64. The "Electronic Control System" section, shows where the solenoid is and how to test it.

As mentioned elsewhere here you can fake the EGR temp sensor with a 10Ohm 1/4 watt resistor on the harness side of the EGR temp sensor plugs.

You can maybe recoup some mph by disabling the EGR system, but I didn't tell you how.. With the resistor in place, plug off the EGR vac line by jamming a bolt in the valve side and add a bit of hose w/ bolt to the intake side, Just be sure to hook it up before your next emissions test
Old 01-19-2013, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow thanks bro.....that reponse was.really helpful...thank you..