Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

new head gasket water straight to oil pan-93 22re

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new head gasket water straight to oil pan-93 22re

I have a 93 22re i got a rebuild kit from engnblr about 4 years ago along with a new head.. after the rebuild the truck ran great a couple of years then i ended up blowing the head gasket.. so i pulled the head off got it resurfaced put it back together and once again she ran great.. i never re torqued my head bolts and last year it blew again.. so i got it resurfaced again but this time i ordered a thicker head gasket due to having it resurfaced twice .. i thought it would be a good idea... but anyways i pulled my timing cover since i already had the head off to make sure nothing was going on with my timing chain like wearing a hole in the cover because i had water in my oil everything looked fine.. i put it all back together and started putting antifreeze in .. it took more than normal but i didnt think nothing about it since it was all drained.. started putting the oil in and it started shooting out of my dipstick.. the antifreeze went to the oil pan and was full when i put the oil in it came out there.. if it was a cracked block it wouldnt just go straight to the pan it would be more of a drip.. i drained it all and left the oil drain plug out so i could put more water in to try to hear which was it going but i couldnt tell.. has anybody encountered this problem before? i dont know if maybe something happened to the gasket since it was thicker than stock.. i went ocd on my old gasket on the block.. it was slick as a babys butt when i was done with it so i know old gasket is not an issue.. like i said the the water goes straight to the oil pan after it fills up the radiator and starts going to the hoses and the head was resurfaced by a certified mechanic with new equipment so that is not the issue either.. i also used new head bolts has this happened to anyone else??
Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 PM

Take the head off, clean the gasket surface with a razor blade than check for block for it being warpped or cracked. If the block checks out with a straight edge , have the head checked for cracks if the head che cks out ok. Have the timing cover checked at the machine shop. And last. Pull the block and replace it....

If the block is warped rebuild and surface the deck. If its cracked. Its ususlly cheaper to replace than find some one to weld cast iron correctly.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:24 AM

Im going to pull the head and timing cover back off today and try to figure out whats goin on.. im leaning more towards somethin in the timing cover.. i hope lol hopefully i will figure out what the problem is and will let ya know what i find out
Old 06-29-2013, 08:38 AM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
You really need to check your block deck surface if your head gasket has failed that many times.

I ALWAYS have the deck surfaced WITH the timing cover bolted on since it will get shaved to the same plane as the block does.

The last few heads I have had done were stuck in an oven and pressed straight to minimize how much has to be milled from the gasket surface. The cam has to be in it for this process.

I ALWAYS replace the radiator or have it serviced because an over heat is usually what causes blown head gaskets on these engines.

ALWAYS new thermostat and hoses. Make sure fan clutch is good.

Engines run for years.

Did your timing cover bolt up flush? No dowels or crud keeping it from bolting down completely?
Old 06-30-2013, 05:41 AM

Well me and my dad pulled it apart yesterday.. when i bought the truck the guy i got it from blew the original motor and got one from a junk yard.. so i got a box full of parts and an extra block with the truck.. the timing cover i had on it the top bolt for the oil pump was stripped out so i looked in the box of parts and there laid an extra timing cover and the top oil pump bolt was not stripped so i cleaned it up and slapped it on there.. turns out i failed to see the see the groves the timing chain wore in and along with the hole ..... that was the problem the whole time the timing cover had a hole in it.. stupid mistake by me not taking the time to really inspect it.. patience is a virtue i guess haha. i got my old timing cover back on and put my head on last night and torqued it down and called it a night. im about to head back over and finish up the job but i really appreciate yall replying and helping me out.. i will post later on tonight im sure my baby will be back on the road in a few hours
Old 06-30-2013, 05:45 AM

aztoyman.. i had the block resurfaced when i bored it out .. i didnt check it last night although i really should have.. i was thinkin that where i never went back and retorqued my head bolts before that was the reason i blew the gasket... i will definitely be sure to do that after a few hundred miles thank you for the imput though