Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

(new guy) recent reman 3vze long block in 90 4runner, having trouble!

Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(new guy) recent reman 3vze long block in 90 4runner, having trouble!

Hello everyone and thanks ahead of time for any and all help & input.

I just finished an engine job on a 1990 4runner 3vze automatic tranny. this is my fourth toyota but first 4runner. After putting in the engine and doing the initial 500 mile breakin the thing ran great. At 500 miles we changed oil and filter and removed the intake so we could retorque head bolts per warranty rules. we also put on a new timing belt, because the other new one was slapping the cover and scribed a line all the way around it. so we figured we should just put on another new one just in case. After reassembly and driving for a bit I noticed a lack of throttle response and overall power. the check engine light came on and we got codes 25, 26. Ok no big deal rite, we replaced the o2 sensor and cat. put in all new plugs, replaced vafm, all new vaccum lines, and have checked, checked and rechecked the timeing both crank and at the distr. other things/symptoms after a long trip my gas tank is seriously over pressurized not just the normal psst. when you take of the gas cap but like a full 60 seconds of vaccum sound and after filling it up it will actually try to push the fuel out. we are waiting on a piece for my buddies pressure gauge so we can test my fuel pressure. I have a feeling that my fuel press. regulator is bad. the plugs on the driverside bank I believe 2,4,6 were really rich and wet when I replaced them. Not sure what else it could be besides injectors. anybody else have any suggestions? thanks again and sorry for the longish post.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 PM

Clogged line? Might sound like a stupid question but are all the fuel line in there correct place returns and so on? fuel filter facing the correct way?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:35 PM

I believe so but I will double check them, after the initial install we did not remove the filter again so it should be fine. I say that because the first 500 miles the thing ran great. Thanks for the tip
Old 09-10-2009, 10:51 AM

Finally, so it ended up being a big dumbass mistake after all. When we took off the intake to do the 500 mile inspection apparently the wiring harness for the #1 injector got pulled loose and remained unnoticed. we were pulling it off again to put on a new fuel pressure regulator and gasket and found the loose connection. put it back on buttoned everything up again and wala. Runs like a top and so far no more code 25/26. Wow sometimes it can turn out to be the stupidest thing. at least we found it before I decided to take it to the dealer. So big oops on our part but the redrunner is back in full force. yippeee. Thanks for all the help and input.