Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Guy with Inherited 86 Pickup

Old 12-02-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy with Inherited 86 Pickup

Hello all and I'd like to first say thank you for any help given me with this. I recently inherited my Grandfather's 1986 2wd automatic 22R base pickup. The truck sat for an undetermined amount of time (probably about 2-3 years) and many things need fixing (Already replaced brake master cylinder and both front calipers). The truck is bone stock and the carb was the Aisin and would not idle so I found a completely new one for $130, but it had the Kalifornia plug and not the green federal plug but I just cut and spliced those wires (simple fix). I have replaced the spark plugs with NGK BPR5EY gapped to .032, replaced the distributor cap and rotor, and adjusted the timing to 5deg (it was well past the 10 deg mark), and changed the oil and filter. I now have it where it will idle but when I try to accelerate it bogs down almost to the point of dying, but it doesn't. If I just lightly accelerate, it'll go just fine but when you try to open it up, it just refuses and it seems to get worse as the truck warms up to NOT. I'm pretty sure I've installed my vacuum hoses back (had to replace most of them due to dry rot, but 1-at-a-time, LOL) so I don't think I have a vacuum leak. I've tried to make sure I've read as many posts as I could about carb issues, but it seem most of them turn into a "shouting match" or others say they're having the same issue but with nothing about how to fix the original issue, specifically, the fuel draining from the float bowl after a while of sitting. This carb is doing that as well and I've yet to find a solution from any forum. Also, I've tried to locate a FSM for this year but not much luck there either. I don't really want to waste money on a Haynes manual.
To recap, (A) I need help with tuning the carburetor so that the truck will accelerate without bogging as well as fixing the "draining" issue, (B) I'd like to find a FSM that covers this truck, (C) Do I need to readjust the timing back in the direction of 10-12 degrees?
Since this is my Grandfather's truck that I was tickled to get (didn't think I was going to), I really want to get it back running and driving well. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful and again, thank you for any help!
Old 12-04-2016, 04:31 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
i'd go back over the vacuum diagrams, and also check for vacuum leaks: http://www.aa1car.com/library/vacleak.htm

did the old carb have the same behavior, when you tried to put your foot into it?
Old 12-04-2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by osv
i'd go back over the vacuum diagrams, and also check for vacuum leaks: http://www.aa1car.com/library/vacleak.htm

did the old carb have the same behavior, when you tried to put your foot into it?
Thanks for replying! LOL, the old carb wouldn't allow it to be driven. Also, since the brakes weren't working, it wouldn't stop if I did get it going so I went ahead and replaced both front calipers AND the carb the same day. I plan to rebuild the original carb since the new one is acting like a little bitch. It just bogs down almost to point of dying if you put your foot in it too deep. I'm looking at everything I can find about it and wish I could find a FSM for it.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
In my opinion those Aisin carbs are just worn out and too many vacuum lines. If you dont have to deal with emissions, go with a Webber Carburator and life will get so much easier. A truck sitting a long time, the fuel can get to be a mess. I would start at the fuel tank and work my way to the motor. The fuel lines can get clogged or restricted.

I have a FSM, but I use a Haynes 98% of the time. FSM is over rated in my opinion. I have taught myself on trucks with Haynes on several different models. Stay away from a Chilton. Even in the FSM, it says that the FSM is for advanced troubleshooting. Only about 2 or 3 times have I ever had to go to the FSM for help and it was in such odd ball situations like a Wiper Delay problem. It would be great for rebuilding a manual transmission but most will never rebuild one using the FSM.

Not sure if you are aware of it, but Toyota put a fuel filter under the bed by the gas tank and a screen in the fuel tank.On a 22r, I like to move the external fuel filter to under the hood. Toyota could have made that change easier.

Fuel filter information.......https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51633022

Webber Information... Dave likes the manual choke, I like the electric choke, each has their own preference but a 22r with a Webber is a simple motor with nearly no issues compared to the 22re. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...torial-264405/

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-04-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
In my opinion those Aisin carbs are just worn out and too many vacuum lines. If you dont have to deal with emissions, go with a Webber Carburator and life will get so much easier. A truck sitting a long time, the fuel can get to be a mess. I would start at the fuel tank and work my way to the motor. The fuel lines can get clogged or restricted.

I have a FSM, but I use a Haynes 98% of the time. FSM is over rated in my opinion. I have taught myself on trucks with Haynes on several different models. Stay away from a Chilton. Even in the FSM, it says that the FSM is for advanced troubleshooting. Only about 2 or 3 times have I ever had to go to the FSM for help and it was in such odd ball situations like a Wiper Delay problem. It would be great for rebuilding a manual transmission but most will never rebuild one using the FSM.

Not sure if you are aware of it, but Toyota put a fuel filter under the bed by the gas tank and a screen in the fuel tank.On a 22r, I like to move the external fuel filter to under the hood. Toyota could have made that change easier.

Fuel filter information.......https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51633022

Webber Information... Dave likes the manual choke, I like the electric choke, each has their own preference but a 22r with a Webber is a simple motor with nearly no issues compared to the 22re. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...torial-264405/
Thanks for replying!
Fortunately I don't have to worry about emissions and have been looking at a Webber conversion but will have to wait till I have the funds. I guess the reason I'm looking for a FSM is that I KNOW everything in it will be correct and the general consensus on all forums is that everything is junk except the FSM. I haven't used a Haynes before but I'm sure it would probably be a help with most issues. The fuel tank and lines as well as the pump all seem to be fine but I will make it a point to find the fuel filter and see about relocating it like you suggested.

Search this Thread