Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New drums & rotors... brakes still pulsating

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New drums & rotors... brakes still pulsating

Hi guy's, I have another question.

Just had drums installed the other day, so I thought I should have new rotors on also because the brakes were really pulsating and vibration.

Had new rotors installed and the pulsating has not even subsided hardly at all. Seems to be more noticable at lower speeds and it vibrates the whole truck.

Is it possible something else worn out in the drivetrain? I have detected a little humming noise and have noticed some more noticable vibrating when downshifting.

I had just replaced the one rear u-joint and didn't think the other one was bad, but maybe it is. Would this cause the pusating and vibration when braking?

FYI... this truck has sitting for over 2 yrs, had allot of rust build up around everything that could rust.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could be due to loose (front) wheel bearings.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:57 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So your brakes pulsate always or just when you use them to stop?

If they pulsate always then I would venture to say your calipers are dragging, notice any excessive brake dust yet, odd pulsation when braking? Replace both front calipers together too.

I the entire thing is vibration, while driving no matter what your tires or wheels could be out of round from sitting so long.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:30 AM

I just remembered, I first noticed this bad pulsating after the guy who did the inspection had to heat,pry and bang to remove the rear drums. He used so much heat he cracked the drums aroumd the bolt holes, that's why I bought new drums. He put new drums on and I drove away, that's when I first noticed it. So I went and bought rotors thinking that was the problem.

Is it possible he ruined something in the rear axle area with the heat he used.

Yes the tires are bad (the front were worn choppy) I put them on the rear. They are a more agressive type tread, which I don't need. I know some of the vibration is coming from the tires, but I don't think that's the whole problem.

I have two set of tires (cooper) that I wanted to install. The one set I was told are too wide 1050s for the stock 6" wide wheel. The other (cooper std size tire for the truck) are practically new and have a less agressive tread.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:49 PM

Here is what I found out today.....

I pulled the drums and found one side the brake shoes engauged the drum even and you can plainly see it on the drums. The other side I noticed as I spun the wheel there was a spot that got tight as it was rotated. I then looked inside the drum and I seen spots where the brake shoes were ingauging more than other spots of the drum.

I then installed one of the old drums and took it for a drive, the problem went away. I only had a little bit of pusating, I think that's from uneven brake pads and shoes. So I will be heading to the parts store to get another drum exchange
Old 11-19-2006, 04:10 PM

Never turn a Toyota drum.Always buy new from NAPA or Toyota,or use the old ones.They have to be perfectly round and on center or you'll get a pulse.Also out of round drums will self adjust needlessly and bind up going down the road without mashing the brake.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:37 PM

I have to ask..... Is the vibration in the sterring wheel(means front unbalanced) or in the seat(Rear unbalanced)? I have a viberation also real bad when light breaking. I plan on rotating the tires tomorrow and see what happens, My junk sat for almost a year.
EDIT>>
AWW crap I just reread the post... Have you replaced the u-joints lately? Those peskey bastards will cause a million headaches.

Last edited by LOCKnGO; 11-19-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i doubt that its u-joints, but theyre easy enough to check that you might as well.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:08 AM

Here's another. I replaced front brakes and rototrs and rear drum brakes, and when i step on the brakes it's more of an extreme pulse than vibe, but i didnt have that before hand. And another question at what mileage should you flush the brake fluid, im at 111k
Old 11-20-2006, 07:48 AM

I know the tires are shot, out of round from sitting ,worn choppy and I have seen some dry rot. I'm pretty sure this is were my other vibration noises are coming from. I plan on getting them changed this week.

I have relpaced the far rear u-joint the front seems fine.

I can only hope once the tires are changed and install another new drum, all my bad vibes are gone.

Thanks guys
Old 11-20-2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SteelHound
Here's another. I replaced front brakes and rototrs and rear drum brakes, and when i step on the brakes it's more of an extreme pulse than vibe, but i didnt have that before hand. And another question at what mileage should you flush the brake fluid, im at 111k
Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years. Do this maintenance from new and you will probably never have to change a hydraulic component in your brake system.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by motoriderbc
Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years. Do this maintenance from new and you will probably never have to change a hydraulic component in your brake system.

the lines can, and do rust out, but yes you probably wont have to replace master/slave cyls.

It cant hurt to flush it once a year, or even more if you really want to (i dont). Brake fluid costs next to nothing, and its easy to do as long as you have 2 people, or one of the vacuum kits
Old 11-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Nic

I don't understand why he would have heated the drums. I would not have liked that considering the other damage he could have done. Brake shoes often get seated in and the simplest thing to do is to crank them in some before attempting to pry off the drum. More often than not, I have always had to do this.

There is even a special tool that makes it fairly easy.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:18 PM

brake fluid change

Steelhound thank you for your service to keep our freedom, :bigclap: Im probably excissive but I change my brake fluid ever 15,000 or yearly,
Old 11-21-2006, 04:11 AM

Hey thanks alot. Yea i need to change mine in my 4runner its well over due.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:34 AM

Tires are changed, that helped out, smoother riding now. Now I can concentrate on other noises.

Did another drum change (new replacement), took it for a test drive and it seems that the pulsating is coming back. I'm going to drive for a day of so and see what happens. Is it possible that there is a bad batch of drum being manufactured. Same Carquest parts. I don't know what to do if this drum is bad, take it back and ask for another or just get my money back and buy from andonther parts store?