Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New clutch and im still stumped

Old 03-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New clutch and im still stumped

Ok heres the deal 89 3.0 278000k clutch was slipping bad in 4th and 5th sometimes 3rd the clutch would let go with very little travel of the petal so first i did the slave,bench bled it installed and bled it about it 9000 times haha with the same result,next rebuilt the master and man was that nasty crap in there black and sludgy crap, honed it out bench bled it installed and bled the system again. Same thing! Ok brand NEW clutch kit everything even a new flywheel. Got her installed bled the system again and checked the free play all good. Test drive: She drove great clutch was grabbing a little past half way off the floor, drove her easy for about 2 weeks i average 60miles a day about three weeks after till current when truck gets warm sitting traffic 3rd 4th and 5th will slip just like before i did all this!? Has anyone ever had this problem? Also i noticed yesterday in traffic before the truck got to warmed up this dude pissed me off laying on his horn i revved it up and dumped the clutch and had no problem smoking the tires haha, ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED as i am totally stumped on this. THANKS
Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How long have you owned the truck? Was the disc worn when you replaced it? Do you have any oil leaks towards the rear of the engine?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
When you say slipped sitting in traffic in 3rd or 4th or 5th...???

I don't understand. Why would you be in 3-5th sitting in traffic??
Old 03-18-2011, 09:04 AM

The truck was bought new by my dad in 89 i finally got it from about 6yrs ago. The old clutch was worn but still had a little life left in it. No oil on the clutch disc seal was not leaking. I'm sorry i meant after sitting in traffic for a while when i accelerate and get to shift to 3rd or 4th is when it slips. i sit in bumper to bumper traffic everyday usually its 1st or 2nd gear slow speeds till traffic opens up (3rd,4th,5th gear driving). I think today when i get home im gonna pull the master and slave off check them out and see if maybe there is some sort of blockage somewhere blow the line out and see what happens. Oh and its not petal bracket that was replaced by the dealer when pops had it but i checked it anyway its all good no cracks or bends. ugh!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 AM

if the heat from sitting in traffic was going to affect the master or slave it would cause u to have no pedal, not slipping in 3rd 4th and 5th, im thinking u might want to check the oil in the tranny or transfer case and just change them out to see if its something in there,
Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

If the clutch is slipping, I'm betting you have broken clutch springs. NOTHING in the clutch hydraulic system will cause it to slip--quite the opposite.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 03-18-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
if the heat from sitting in traffic was going to affect the master or slave it would cause u to have no pedal, not slipping in 3rd 4th and 5th, im thinking u might want to check the oil in the tranny or transfer case and just change them out to see if its something in there,
I'm sorry, oil or not in the transmission case will not cause clutch slipping.

Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be THOUGHT a fool, than to open your mouth (keyboard) and remove all doubt~
Old 03-18-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
I'm sorry, oil or not in the transmission case will not cause clutch slipping.

Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be THOUGHT a fool, than to open your mouth (keyboard) and remove all doubt~

i know that the tranny is ran with gears, but i was not sure if the transfer case was belt,chain or had clutches in there, just throwing it out there. i knew someone would correct me if i was wrong about that but for u to act like that is just stupid. didnt need your little comments thinking u are big man with small..............
Old 03-18-2011, 11:36 AM

ok so clutch springs huh? wouldnt those have been replaced along with the ENTIRE clutch kit that was just installed? so a blockage wouldnt cause the clutch to fully grab? say its getting stuck or something? considering when doing 60mph in 5th and staying steady on the gas and start pushing the the clutch petal the engine and tach start to rise? also when taking off from a stop through all gears no matter how slow i let the clutch out it grabs hard at the top like im dumping it?? thats what is puzzling me about this whole thing. Ill check the fluids again in the trans but i highly doubt that has anything to do with the situation it runs through the gears like a champ but hey..... Thanks guys!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

I believe the springs that he is talking about is either the dampning springs on the actual disc or the fingers on the pressure plate, so yes it should have been replaced, where did you get the clutch from?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Thats what im hoping is not the case. Unfortunately i got it from advance auto parts. If it is the springs like he said or anything i got from them im gonna be one pissed off mofo!!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

The dampning springs on the disc if broke, im sure that you would notice as it would chatter and probably make alot of noise, but I am leaning towards a weak pressure plate which would allow it to slip and would make sense that it would do it when warm.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
when you replaced the throwout bearing did you check to see if your new one was the same height? sounds like either not enough clamping force, or your dripping oil on it and its slipping. you said it was clean in there so that rules out number two, and as far as clamping force goes if you can light em up sounds like enough, so what else???? maybe check the spring in the clutch pedal bracket that raises the pedal back up, my thinking is it works fine through the pedal stroke and maybe the weight of the pedal sitting on the push rod is slightly pressurizing the master taking some clamping force off, whick shouldnt happen unless your pressure plate is super weak, check that and try putting a little more free play in the pedal. keep us updated im curious about this
Old 03-18-2011, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
x2 on the free play adjustment.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:27 PM

clutch disc facing right direction?sometimes they have a little sticker that says flywheel side.i have seen all the springs broken out of a pressure plate with no effect.now broken pressure plate fingers would cause prob.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 PM

but when u are in 1st and 2nd after sitting in traffic u dont get slipping??
Old 03-18-2011, 04:43 PM

Could it be something in the drive line? Seized universal, or a back brake. First/second gear are low enough to move the truck, as the gearing gets higher it will have less torque to move the parts ....Therefore, the clutch is the weak point, so it slips....
Old 03-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shepherd2111
Could it be something in the drive line? Seized universal, or a back brake. First/second gear are low enough to move the truck, as the gearing gets higher it will have less torque to move the parts ....Therefore, the clutch is the weak point, so it slips....
My worn out clutch was still good enough to tow my wifes 3.0 4 runner on a trailer and not slip.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by tim a.
clutch disc facing right direction?sometimes they have a little sticker that says flywheel side.i have seen all the springs broken out of a pressure plate with no effect.now broken pressure plate fingers would cause prob.

^ What im thinking... clutch disk in backward.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 PM

ok well first of all thanks for all your guys input and thoughts on this. I worked late today so never got to do anything to it yet. the throwout bearing was exactly the same as the old one, the trans makes no noises except this clunk or knock noise that i noticed today when the clutch is pushed, BUT this DOES NOT happen every time.? As for the disc it was installed the correct way, i seen how the old one was mounted and yes it did have sticker that said this side towards flywheel. It slips a little in 2nd after sitting traffic but only at about 4500 but not enough to notice if you watch the tach i mean its very very little as for 1st no slip unless i try to lite'em up it will not, maybe just a chirp then straight up accelerate no slip, before 5miles of driving 1st will lockem up and smoke the goodyear 31x10.5 m/t i have on it (nice deep howl!) ugh man next... my rear brakes... just suck. Petal free play, about .25 of play petal height 6in give or take a 16th no change in free play when this starts to happen. What is really blowing my mind is these are symptoms it started doing and is why i did the clutch in the first place. Im gonna dig in it in morning and see what i can find. UGH ill keep you guys posted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New clutch and im still stumped