86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Cam, how about new rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Cam, how about new rockers?

Ok, so I just drove down to engnbldrs shop today and got a new cylinder head (woohoo!), full rock guard gasket set and new headbolts. I'm doing this top-end as right as I know how.

I got a brand new 260 cam and its in there. The motor is put back together but Im waiting till the morning to turn it over (dont wanna wake the neighbors with the break in)... but that gets me to my question. I've read that if the rockers look fine (no gouges in the old cam or rocker lobes, and the part that hits the valves has the hour-glass wear pattern its OK).

My rocker assembly all looks fine, no abnormal wear (to my eye).

Wondering what people do for new cam installs, if your rockers look GOOD is it cool to re-use em or does everyone have them resurfaced? replaced? whats the deal.

thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reused mine, no big deal, the only thing is to look for the wear where the rockers on on the shafts because sometimes that other thingy (sorry lol) that sits next to them on the shaft to keep them lined up will start to wear in to them. Also people replace the adjusting screws for the valves because those can wear uneven. your call.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You risk destroying the new cam by re-using the rockers. The cam may not break-in properly.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
You risk destroying the new cam by re-using the rockers. The cam may not break-in properly.
run your finger lengthwise along the rocker over the shiny part the cam pushes on. do you feel the small "dip" in that pad? that was worn over many miles to the previous cam. In a perfect world you replace the rockers with the cam. However I've done it both ways (usually due to lack of money) with no problem. If the "dip" is barely noticable, you should be OK.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:11 AM

I felt no dip(s) on any of the rockers, they all still have their dome like shape or rounded figure with no gouges or anything abnormal.

I also lubed the crap out of it all with the high pressure assembly lube. During the the initial valve adjustment (turning the crank 360) the the rocker pads moved smoothly on the cam lobes. in other words no weird pattern in any of the grease on the lobes.

Well im gonna go do the break in now. See what happens, hell with it =p
Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

I have reused rocker assemblies on several engines with no issues. Just inspect them as the previous poster has stated to be sure it is still good.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I rebuild mine and put in a 268 cam I reused my rocker assembly, not problems to speak of after about 1,000 miles.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when new, the cam and rocker wear into each other. microscopic differences in the hardness of the contact surface across the face of the cam lobe and rocker cause the two to wear down the softer parts of the surfaces until they both match each other and the load is distributed evenly over the surfaces. there are microscopic grooves on the the rocker which will definitely not match the cam surface and will unnecessarily wear down the cam lobes. and usually, the wear rate increases over time.

for humor's sake I ask, would you change a brake rotor and not the pads? would you hone a cylinder without replacing the rings, or vice versa? would you surface your flywheel and not change the clutch and pressure plate? If the rocker shafts were worn out, would you not replace the rockers?

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-26-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drew303
See what happens, hell with it =p
if your not replacing them (best idea) then at least polish/refinish the old. gives a new surface for the new cam.

there is never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
when new, the cam and rocker wear into each other. microscopic differences in the hardness of the contact surface across the face of the cam lobe and rocker cause the two to wear down the softer parts of the surfaces until they both match each other and the load is distributed evenly over the surfaces. there are microscopic grooves on the the rocker which will definitely not match the cam surface and will unnecessarily wear down the cam lobes. and usually, the wear rate increases over time.

for humor's sake I ask, would you change a brake rotor and not the pads? would you hone a cylinder without replacing the rings, or vice versa? would you surface your flywheel and not change the clutch and pressure plate? If the rocker shafts were worn out, would you not replace the rockers?
Check what the manual says about the wear tolerances. They have those for a reason. As long as it is till within spec than its ok. So yeah I would hone a cylinder and put the old rings back in if the rings and cylinder were still within spec. Especially if on a budget. In a world where money grows on trees than no. Rockers will cost from 60 to 115 for a set and then you have to redo the rocker assy. Which one should not mess with themself. Heard of bad things happening when this is done. So bet on 300 dollars or more for a new/rebuilt assy with labor. Becasue if you replace the rocker you then must also replace the rocker shafts($85) using the above posters theory. Not trying to bust anyones balls here. Yes it would be ideal but necessary no. However I would check with the company that the cam is purchased from. For example LC Engineering will not warranty the cam if new rockers are not installed. In this case it may be worth replacing the rockers. Otherwise I would not worry about it.

Last edited by saitotiktmdog; 08-26-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 AM

It's running fine so far, I inspected it again tonight and to the naked eye nothing is wearing abnormal.

Besides, what exactly is the worse that could happen? How could a rocker actually destroy a cam lobe so bad that it impaired performance... ON a 22r? They, even new don't run as beautifuly smooth as some motors. They forever tick some and mis some so.... I'm beginning to learn its a 22r and not brain surgery =p