Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Beginings - To build or not to build.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Beginings - To build or not to build.

This is part 2 from my "Where the h*** did my power go?" thread which has been deleted. I still have that problem where only 3 cylinders work But....

GREAT NEWS!
A buddy of mine finally has the time to help me. I am in the process of removing the motor and I have just about everything disconnected. The motor should be out within the next few days.

My plan is to take everything out and paint the bay all black. Back to the future is BACK!

My motor has 290k on it and this is all new to me. I have never done this before. My friend took out his celica all-trac motor twice (more then I ever did) and my other friend is a yota guy. If we miss or forget anything, we'll call him and he should pick up our pieces .

I'll have to find a machine shop to do whatever it is they need to do. I also have the rebuild kit from engnbldr .

However, I've found a website that delivers new motors and is in my area (Bay Area).

http://www.japanengine.com/products/...&search=&page=

I was thinking the complete package for 1700.00 but I am not certain, yet.

Rebuild or new motor?

Does anyone know of any good machine shops in the bayarea? What are the general costs ... again I hate to say this .... I AM A COMPLETE NEWB!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before changing out for a new engine, I'd verify what's causing the bad cylinder. Most common dead cylinder problem I've had in my years of Toyota ownership is injector wiring. If it's bad valves or a burnt piston then you can consider a rebuilt unit. Nothing worse than wasting a weekend (not to mention the 1700 for the reman) o Lu to find you've still got a dead cylinder.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You've never truly understood your engine until you have it in hundreds of pieces on your garage floor. Rebuild it.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HighLux
You've never truly understood your engine until you have it in hundreds of pieces on your garage floor.
^^ So true!
Good luck whatever direction you go with the engine.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Before changing out for a new engine, I'd verify what's causing the bad cylinder. Most common dead cylinder problem I've had in my years of Toyota ownership is injector wiring. If it's bad valves or a burnt piston then you can consider a rebuilt unit. Nothing worse than wasting a weekend (not to mention the 1700 for the reman) o Lu to find you've still got a dead cylinder.
Dont let this point go un-noticed. I didn't read your old thread so im not sure what was said, but rarely is a completely dead cylinder mechanical related. Unless you have a broken cam or valve or a hole in a piston, or somthing really obvious and noisy. So you may have other problems and their might not be anything wrong with the motor your about to tear out. Not that you shouldnt rebuild it, lots of miles why not if you have the time and $$. But if you never did actually figure out why its running poorly then dont be surprised if it still does when you put the new motor in their.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Gents. The 2 bolts on top of the tranny. How do we get those off? We are close to getting this motor out.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A wobble and a few extensions. Get it from the back side of the transmission. Some times lowering the tail shaft of the trans helps a bit. Yes flexing the motor mounts and pulling the bolts temporaly for the trans crossmember
Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 7m4x4dude
A wobble and a few extensions. Get it from the back side of the transmission. Some times lowering the tail shaft of the trans helps a bit. Yes flexing the motor mounts and pulling the bolts temporaly for the trans crossmember
Thank you!!! Bought the wobble with minutes to spare before Lowes closed. Here we go, otherwise we will have to wait until next week.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Does the starter need to come off first?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 PM

What about the 2 slave cylinder bolts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qUK...e_gdata_player
Old 12-19-2012, 12:21 AM

Omgomg omg omg omgomg omg omg omg

Old 12-19-2012, 04:24 PM

Guys,

Right now the transmission is being supported by a Jack Stand and a block of wood.

Eventually this will have to be towed to the body shop. Does the tranny have to come off too or can it be supported on its own weight?

Please expect more dumb questions as I work on this.

Last edited by BK2TFUTURE; 12-19-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:06 PM

No the 4 foot long transmission can not just hang there mounted at one end only.
That doesnt make any sense.

Youll want to use a big ratchet strap or somthing to rig it up if you must move it. Or pull the trans. Sounds like your trying to do to many things and out of order.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:37 PM

Go ahead and pull the transmission out now. It will be easier to reinstall the engine and get all that hooked back up and then reinstall the transmission. You'll save yourself a lot of headache this way.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Basically my plan is to pull the motor and attempt to rebuild it. Since i'll be rebuilding that, I thought it will be a good opportunity to get everything else out and have the bay painted.

However, as you said, this is a 4ft tranny so it must be taken out if I am to send it to the shop for paint. ORRRRRRRR strap this bad boy up!

I'll run this by my friends if they're down to take the tranny off as well.

Question is, how the hell do I put it back up? This things gotta be a few hundred pounds.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM

It's not that heavy. I picked mine up and walked with it...with the transfer case bolted on. I swapped mine out this summer by myself. It just takes time and thinking. You already have most of it done anyway. Just two more bolts on the mount and it will come out.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 PM

Yes people have picked them up, but still be carefull, its heavy and awkward and big and if your by yourself it could fall on you. I use a combo of big ratchet straps and a floor jack to get her to the ground. Its just easy. Same reseon mechanic shops have tools for this. They dont just wing it 2 to 3 times a day for 8 years straight.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
Yes people have picked them up, but still be carefull, its heavy and awkward and big and if your by yourself it could fall on you. I use a combo of big ratchet straps and a floor jack to get her to the ground. Its just easy. Same reseon mechanic shops have tools for this. They dont just wing it 2 to 3 times a day for 8 years straight.
Thats where the thinking part comes into play. I didn't have access to a mechanics shop with all the proper tools. Sometimes all you have to work worth with is the tools you have available....which includes your own body. I used a motorcycle jack (with straps so it wouldn't tip and fall) to lower the old one out and raise the new one into place. I also had the jacks wheels chocked so it wouldn't roll on it's own and possibly damage the transmission (or worse, hurt me) once I got it where I wanted it. I still had to pick it up to assemble the new transmission, transfer case and bell housing and then get it positioned right on the jack before I strapped it down. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely heavy (maybe 150-175 lbs) once the transfer case was bolted on so if you're not comfortable don't do it. Stop and think of another way to accomplish what you need to do. There's always another way. Working smarter is easier and faster than working harder.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 PM

Glad you agree with me.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 PM

Guys I appreciate all your input.

I was doing some brain storming and was thinking "what if" I just painted the bay myself. Just requires a lot of cleaning, sanding and painting. I was surprised on how little there is to paint once the motor was out. However that can change again.

I appreciate everything guys. I'm only getting started so there will be 1000's of questions once I start picking apart that motor.

Quick Reply: New Beginings - To build or not to build.