Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Battery time - Which kind to get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Battery time - Which kind to get?

So like an idiot I forgot to properly tighten my battery down after I took off the heating blanket and it shifted offroad. It was pushing against my power steering pully and I hole got eaten into it so I need to replace it.

Which battery should I go after?

On the up side there is a line of rust free parts directly underneath it!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optima red top IMO
Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 PM

Any reason why?

Also I'm about to go on a long road trip[ so will be running electronics off it. I'm also getting a new stereo and am installing a winch.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM

Oh well that changes things. If you are running a winch I would go to a dual battery set up. In that case two optimas. You could use a yellow top if you are really concerned but it's not necessary. I have red tops in all my vehicles. Spent several winters in AK and they never let me down. Plus in my hilux I crazy electronics off of it and no issues ever. To give you an idea I can run my stereo all weekend long just off the battery when I am working on the truck and it always starts up On monday without question. I am running multiple amps, component speakers, sub the whole works.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM

OPTIMA YELLOW TOP...get the best and never worry about it again....G
Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts

Last edited by MaK92-4RnR; 07-24-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Hilux4Life
Oh well that changes things. If you are running a winch I would go to a dual battery set up. In that case two optimas. You could use a yellow top if you are really concerned but it's not necessary. I have red tops in all my vehicles. Spent several winters in AK and they never let me down. Plus in my hilux I crazy electronics off of it and no issues ever. To give you an idea I can run my stereo all weekend long just off the battery when I am working on the truck and it always starts up On monday without question. I am running multiple amps, component speakers, sub the whole works.
Originally Posted by 96vettelt4
OPTIMA YELLOW TOP...get the best and never worry about it again....G
Seriously? Dual batteries because of a winch? Optima's are the best...? hardly.

I had a red top in my 4Runner. It powered my winch, offroad lights, 2 amps, and 2 subs on the stock alternator and it did just fine. never had a problem with it.

But its hardly the "best". I would say go with a Diehard Platinum if you're going the long haul. A little pricey, but it has a 10 year warrantly and better numbers than the red/yellow top optima.6
Old 07-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

I like my Yellow Top.

You can't go wrong with the Die Hard Platinum, though.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:47 PM

Diehard Platinum is the best? I am after the best I can get my mitts on. Alone in the Yukon on my upcoming trip with a dead battery is not something I want to deal with.

Keep the advice coming with supporting statements please. I really want to make an informed decision.

Thanks fellas!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 PM

Odyssey batteries are pretty nice. I believe that the Diehard Platinum is a rebadged odyssey. I had a 27series diehard platinum in my landcruiser for 5years, but killed it with a full drain. It was replaced with a walmart 27 series and i've had no issues, but the fj40 is quite a bit simpler than the 4runners.
New optima red top batteries are supposed to suck pretty hardcore compared to how they were made in years past. The Blue top is a good compromise between starting and deep cycle types. Yellow tops are not recommended for starting, but lots of people use them for such. Btw, if you don't regularly drive the truck then don't get an optima.

If you're going into the bush then redundancy is nice, even if it is a smaller 2nd battery. You can get all kinds of solar trickle chargers for fairly cheap these days too.
If you run a lot of accessories, then a higher rated alternator may be possible upgrade point as well.

The diehard platinum batteries sometimes go on sale at Sears and you can get them for quite a bit cheaper than list.
Just don't buy a cheap battery. It is too important a part of the truck to skimp on quality.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 PM

I have personally killed two diehard platinums with stereo systems. Both of those batteries lasted me about two years. I went to optimas and never looked back. I personally trust optimas because I have had them perform perfectly in some of the worst conditions you could ever find yourself in, but to each their own.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Seriously? Dual batteries because of a winch? Optima's are the best...? hardly.

I had a red top in my 4Runner. It powered my winch, offroad lights, 2 amps, and 2 subs on the stock alternator and it did just fine. never had a problem with it.

But its hardly the "best". I would say go with a Diehard Platinum if you're going the long haul. A little pricey, but it has a 10 year warrantly and better numbers than the red/yellow top optima.6
BTW I recommend dual batteries because he is located in Yellowknife and I am sure he goes on expedition off road trips like myself. That being the case I personally subscribe to overkill engineering so the backup plan has to have a back up plan. Because the last thing you want to do is be ˟˟˟˟ed when you are 50 miles from the nearest person. The weather and conditions are unforgiving up there.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:27 PM

I will dual battery just not yet. My trip is really soon and all the work I need to get done needs prioritising.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Optima batteries are a "dry cell" battery. I don't rememebr the exact science behind them but they don't contain the acid that wet cell batterys do. They don't spill, freeze, are truly "maintenace free" and you can drain them dead as many times as you want without sulfating it like a wet cell would. Which is perfect for winching and bush parties with sound systems. They are worth the extra $$$

Last edited by nothingbetter; 07-24-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:49 PM

Total Power Batteries is what I use. Never had a problem with one. They take a beating, had one in my class 9 desert race car for 3 years. Once after a roll over, I had to crank the engine for over 20 min to get it to start up, the battery never slowed down. Search the web for Total Power Batteryand check out their site.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:45 AM

What about its performance in months of -40C temperatures?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 AM

I've had a Red Top in mine for almost 5 years and it starts just as well as the day i put it in. I'd definitely buy another but I'm not going to say its the best because i haven't had that many batteries. I do know that interstate is a good brand too. If I'm right I believe they make the Optima batteries.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM

I've got a set of 6+ year old Yellow Tops that have been great even with running 2500 watts RMS without running the eng. at drive-in movies. But with them being that age have been looking for something to replace them with.

Found some at O'Reilly that are a bit cheaper, and may be better. They are said to be made by Deka like thier Intimidator model. Also seems that there are a few people using them, and having very good luck. AGM Super Starter Extreme $149.

www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSB3/3478EXTAGM/03321.oap

They are the same type of battery as the Red, Yellow, Blue Tops.

Last edited by Donsway; 07-25-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always ran interstate batteries and I've never had to replace one. They always survive as long as I own the vehicle and go with them when I sell them. I've never had a winch but they've never had a problem with cold temps down to -10F (maybe gotten colder but I'm not dragging my butt out there to check haha) and I've ran dual amp stereos with them almost every time and no problem.

You may want to check your vacuum lines, last time this happened to me with a 3vze the battery acid took out some vacuum lines and it caused drivability issues.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM

Well, at -40, it didnt really matter which battery I had, If I forgot to plug in the car, it would not start up until it got warmer. I was ststioned up in Fairbanks Alaska for 3 winters. We could not plug in our car until it was under -20. With a batt heater, it started up everytime, took 15 min to warm up the car and then everything would be OK. Also, keep an eye on the CV boots in the cold. Every breakup we had to replace them.

Quick Reply: New Battery time - Which kind to get?