86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need shock part numbers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need shock part numbers

I'm needing some shocks for a 94 pickup 4x4. I just did the bj spacer lift and it already had a 3" body lift. just put new 33" boggers on as well. the ride is pretty stiff. stiffer than normal.

I've looked at ome shocks but don't see much info on which one I would need for the lift I have.

what shock would give a decent ride on the highway? I don't climb rocks or anything like that. I hunt and use Woods roads a lot.

any help on what shock I may need is appreciated
Old 12-12-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Did you search??? You don't have any "lift requirements" for just BJ spacers when choosing shocks - stock size. OME shocks are good, people use them all over the world, there are only like 3 different ones for our trucks.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:18 AM

So basically I would have to order stock size in the ome shocks? that's not gonna be any better than what I have now then. I'd still have to shim them. I was hoping I could find something a little longer than stock to help with the solid ride now after the bj lift
Old 12-15-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
from what i recall, there aren't any real options for between stock and 4" lift on the IFS, the travel doesn't really increase - which is why you run the stock shocks. in rear you can get longer shocks and/or move your mounts to triangulate, etc.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:22 PM

After the bj spacer lift it hits hard on bumps now. it didn't before. I will try to shim the shocks I have now to see if it helps any. I'm betting it likely won't, but I'll give it a try.
are the ome shocks superior to the rest out there for our trucks? I'm not looking for anew air ride, I know thats not gonna happen. I'm just after something decent after the little lift
Old 12-20-2016, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the front shock is too short after the BJ spacer? How short? Using a shock that is too short will limit the down travel. Basically the shock will reach its limit before you hit the bumpstops. Take out the shock, jack up the truck allowing the tire to full droop, then measure how long of a shock you would need. Most of the manufacturers will list the extended and collapsed lengths of their shocks. I ran Skyjacker M95 shocks on my 86 4 runner and 96 T100 with good results. I have OME all around on my 90 4 runner and like them a lot.
How far did you crank the torsion bars after the BJ lift? That could be contributing to the rough ride.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:23 PM

The Blistein and OME shocks are top of the line in my opinion. That being said, I don't run them on my 89 Runner IFS. Like you, I use mine for a conversation and a part time hunting rig. I did BJS about a year ago and wanted to upgrade my shocks on a budget. I did some looking and settled on Skyjacker Hydro 7000s. The part number for my 89 is H7002 and I got them on Amazon for little of nothing. I think they were advertised on their site as for up to a 4" lift although Amazon does not specify that spec. I think they are going for $36 now but I think I got the pair for $60ish They came with boots and hardware. For what I do as far as wheeling, I am very pleased with them. They resolved the issues that you are having with mine, they look good and dollar for dollar were an excellent upgrade.

How about that answer? You usually won't get a part number and a good review of something other than top of the line gear in a thread like this. I just happened to have some other junk packed in one of my shock boxes or I wouldn't have remembered what I bought but I do like them.

Highon may be right about the lift requirements, but it seems like by forcing the lower arm down with the spacers, you would have, at least slightly, increased distance between the upper and lower shock mount. I don't know. I figured if the shocks were listed as for 0-4" lift, at $60 for the pair, it couldn't hurt.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:39 AM

That skyjacker sounds pretty good and from what I can see, it's a little longer than the ome shocks too. I currently have the gas matic 59318 Monroe on the truck now and they look like they are pretty well maxed out.

exactly how do you shim a shock and where do the shims go?
Old 12-21-2016, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the skyjacker info as well. It rode rough before, but now it just slams when it hits small bumps.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by fountain
That skyjacker sounds pretty good and from what I can see, it's a little longer than the ome shocks too. I currently have the gas matic 59318 Monroe on the truck now and they look like they are pretty well maxed out.

exactly how do you shim a shock and where do the shims go?
You can put a spacer or stack of washers between the upper mount and the shock if there is enough thread coming through the top mount to allow for it. I wouldn't ever do it though. It puts a lot of stress on that bolt.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:56 PM

I'm not going to space them. I'll ride it out until I order new shocks. I've been reading a lot and finally found some more info on shocks. Looks like Doetsch Tech shocks are fairly popular too. I'm not sure which to get tho. The pre runner or the 3000 series. The ome come highly recommend here too. Price wise, the skyjacker mentioned above sounds good too!
Old 12-21-2016, 03:56 PM

I'm not going to space them. I'll ride it out until I order new shocks. I've been reading a lot and finally found some more info on shocks. Looks like Doetsch Tech shocks are fairly popular too. I'm not sure which to get tho. The pre runner or the 3000 series. The ome come highly recommend here too. Price wise, the skyjacker mentioned above sounds good too!
Old 12-21-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
you prolly need to relax the torsion bars if its riding stiff. and if you want a nice ride, monroe sensatrak were some good shocks back in the day. rode real nice.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:22 PM

I believe the torsion bars haven't been touched. I haven't touched them anyway. The shocks are maxed out on up travel. I pulled one off today and extended it all the way and thenot compared it to the other on on the truck and visually it's out all the way. From the best I can tell the shock I have is fairly short. I measure it by a way I fund on a shock website at 14", but according to Monroe monroes site it's 13" or so.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:15 PM

Well, I broke down and called Doetsch shocks today. After digging deep here, I finally found some solid info from days gone by of what shocks work with the bj lift. I told her the numbers and she gave me some info. I'm after a softer ride, and since I don't run across a desert or climb rocks, I went with the 3000 series. I gave her the number that was posted and she told me the specs and they weren't what I was after. The numbers given from doetsch were the 3078, 8069 and 9069. I ended up going with the 3069. I hope that works. It has anewer extended length of 15.5" and collapsed length of 10". That's exactly the range needed for the bj lift. The 3078 only had an extended length of 14.5". Hopefully they work out. I ordered for all 4 corners. Since the rear is stock height she said she had the part number for them. Can't wait for them to come in and hopefully return to a decent ride