86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need lots of help with rebuilt 22re!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need lots of help with rebuilt 22re!

Well I've done a lot of searches and can't find any of the answers I'm looking for. So here's the run down of what I did then I will follow with the problems.

I swapped out my 88 22re with a 89 22re. I am aware that the injectors are different in these models, but i went with the 89 injectors with the 88 computer. I talked to a fuel injection guy and he said that should be fine as long as i didnt have the 89 ecu with the 88 injectors. so first i want to clarify with you guys that this is correct. the 88 injectors ran at about 2 ohms so there is a 3 ohm stock resistor in the line going to the fuel injectors, the 89 injectors could be run at 12-14 ohms and needed no resistor, so basically i am running the 89 12-14 ohm injectors at around 3 ohms. Injector man said that should be fine, i was just worrying about frying my ecu.

So I got the rebuild done 89 engine, 89 injectors, 88 ecu and harness, 261 engnbldr cam, injectors flow matched and cleaned at witchhunter, and new clutch flywheel and all the fixins. We got the engine to start up and idle fairly well, but i noticed while trying to jump the terminals E1 and Te1 i only have the terminals E1 and T. So i jumped those and there was no change in idle and no blinking check engine light.

So next i turned the key to see if the check engine light would come on, it did not. Also the oil pressure and temp gauges do not work, they worked before the engine swap, so basically the whole left side of the dash lights are not working, and the terminals in the engine compartment are not working either. I jumped the b+ and Fp terminals to see if i could hear the fuel pump kick on and it did not. So next i checked, cleaned and sanded all four grounds on the engine block, which did not change anything. Also checked fuses.

The engine will idle but as soon as you give it gas or put a load on it it spits and sputters and seems like its choking. I did the screw driver to the ear trick to check the injectors and all of them are clicking, Checked TPS and seems to be within specs or mighty close. Engine is at about 10 BTDC with out the terminals jumped ( because it is not working)

Please help! I've put a good amount of money into this thing and its still not working. I'm getting mighty frustrated!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your sure "all" the grounds are there and in the "factory" spot they came from? Sounds to me durning the ECU swap you have some wires wrong, bad, and or crossed.... Try cleaning battery terminals first. Sure all fuses are good? Both under hood and drivers kick panel? You may need to get out a wiring diagram and start tracing wires... Once you get everything working then you can focus on driveablitly... Where did you get that ECU again? What are you even putting all of this into?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:24 PM

As for the check engine light not coming on I'm still at a loss there. Found out my cold start injector switch is bad so need to replace that.
Well ecu is still the stock one in my 88 4runner. So everything is 88 except engine and injectors. I played around with the tps and finally got it running smoother but still far from where it should be.
But I just found a post about why the E1 and T are not changing idle speed for me to dial in timing. http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...ailed-somg-not
Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 AM

ok so i finally got the check engine light to come on so i can check codes, I checked cont. between the violet wire from the ecu to the violet wire on the back of the inst. cluster and it was open so i just ran a new wire from ecu to dash and it works! so I'm throwing codes like crazy, heres what i came up with.

21- ox sensor
22- temp sensor
24- intake air sens
31- air flow meter
41- tps
51- tps

still havent worked out the problem with the e1 and t terminals not reducing idle, but they throw codes when they're jumped.
So i checked afm and everything seems to be with in specs, so why would i be throwing a code?