Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

need help to release the freon from the A/C system

Old 04-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help to release the freon from the A/C system

I have a 95 4runner and am selling my A/C system

i was wondering if anybody can tell me how to release the freon, if there is a special way.. but the book says have a shop do it, but i dont want to do that

any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do you want to lose it? It wont work with out it...unless you are going to convert to R-134a. You should put a vacume on the lines so the new stuff will go in easier. There is a high side and a low side. Do some googling. haha.

Go to youtube, type in davidsfarm and look for a video by him called "ac repair"
Old 04-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Getting a shop to release the freon will cost you a couple dollars. That's it.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 PM

i really cant take it to the shop since there is no motor in it, but pretty much i just wanna know what i have to do to remove the ac system, like any special tools or anything.. i dont know if i have to relieve the freon or not, but if i can get the system out without doing that then that would be cool
Old 04-10-2009, 08:12 AM

its gona be a little work to get all those lines and everything off. Theres a lot of little hoses and lines that are a joy to get loose and then off. You wont be able to get it all out with the freon in it...freon is supposedly bad for the environment so you dont just want to dump it in the atmosphere.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Its actually illegal to dump Freon (r12) into the environment, and carries a hefty fine.

R134a is NOT "freon", it is a refridgerant. They claim its environmentally safe. I would still not suggest venting it, but I believe you can do so without any repercussions.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:28 PM

your system should be r134a
Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM

thats what i was thinking...if you want to vent it, just undo a hose from the condenser or the compressor, or push down the little check valve...as long as its 134...
Old 04-10-2009, 04:23 PM

or you can take a valve core extractor to the low side if its r12. they did a study and they found theres nothing that harms the ozone in that stuff. it was just propaganda bs to get ppl to by their product and not theres. or if you want to find an old truck tube and just get a transfer hose there like 3 dollers and fill it up

Last edited by mickeycrack18; 04-10-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mickeycrack18
or you can take a valve core extractor to the low side if its r12. they did a study and they found theres nothing that harms the ozone in that stuff. it was just propaganda bs to get ppl to by their product and not theres. or if you want to find an old truck tube and just get a transfer hose there like 3 dollers and fill it up
Who is they? Do you have links or proof?

I know that at our wrecking yard, we are regulated by the EPA and its a very big no no to vent R12. It is indeed very harmful to the environment.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:11 PM

You could look around make sure no ones looking and cut the line...But as stated above it is illegal.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:22 PM

He cant cut it, cause he's trying to sell it...Click on me for some more info on R12

Edit...Look under the hood for a sticker or on the AC compressor, it should be 134A...if it is, use a valve stem tool as stated above or just undo a hose...

Last edited by PlugItIn; 04-10-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by YOTA_FORCE
You could look around make sure no ones looking and cut the line...But as stated above it is illegal.
Then why WOULD you even say it? Its illegal for a really, REALLY good reason. This stuff literally eats away the ozone layer, that invisible thing that prevents the sun's rays from cooking us all.

Take it to a shop or call a certified AC mechanic. Hell, with the fact that r12 is so hard to get these days when I did a conversion they took it for free. Its worth a lot of money.

If you dump it straight into the air, you are no better than ANY other loser mechanic that just dumps his oil or coolant in the yard or street. You give US all a BAD name!!!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

if its r12 then an evac ac machine is the ONLY way it shopuld be done. If it is r134a then you can simply loosen one of the lines any where on the ac system and wiggle line until it starts leaking. Watch your eyes as there is pag oil in there and it is under pressure.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 AM

GVOLCRunner....Stop the crying..I wasnt saying he should do it. If you want to freakin complain and cry about the world go to another forum. Of course he should take it in and dispose of it properly. But hes going to do what he wants.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just vent it out of one of the fittings. It's really no big deal & nobody will ever know.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by GVOLCRunner
Then why WOULD you even say it? Its illegal for a really, REALLY good reason. This stuff literally eats away the ozone layer, that invisible thing that prevents the sun's rays from cooking us all.

Take it to a shop or call a certified AC mechanic. Hell, with the fact that r12 is so hard to get these days when I did a conversion they took it for free. Its worth a lot of money.

If you dump it straight into the air, you are no better than ANY other loser mechanic that just dumps his oil or coolant in the yard or street. You give US all a BAD name!!!!!
Good post. You may think its just a little bit, but that stuff is SERIOUSLY potent. There has been a large measurable positive effect in high arctic ozone after CFCs were phased out of most applications.

No ozone= prevalence of skin cancer rises. You know the lead blanket they place over your nuts during an x-ray? Ozone= lead blanket. It only makes a very small fraction of the atmosphere, so very little of it in the first place.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by turborich
just vent it out of one of the fittings. It's really no big deal & nobody will ever know.
Stop giving out crap advice. "No one will ever know"... do you also steal if you don't think you'll get caught? No one likely will ever know if you steal a handful of nuts and bolts, or mix in a few extra boards from a lumber yard. People who follow those words of advice are leeches on society. Two thumbs down.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude calm down on him. jesus. dont jump up his arse cuz he asks a question.
actually, if you break down the chemical of both r12 and r134, they are basically the same thing, but 134 uses different oil, which is what screws up a r12 system. also, the patent on r12 ran out, so they brought out 134. when that patent starts to run out, they will come out with a R256 and say 134 is bad for the atmosphere.
also, r12 works slightly better than 134, it gets colder faster.
but for a POLITE answer, i wouldnt discharge it urself unless u know FOR SURE that its 134. or, as stated, its a hefty fine if ur caught.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 PM

The OP asked a legitimate question as it appears he didn't know that R12 was.

"Turborich" may be a good guy, who knows, but the comment made is so typical of short sighted people who figure because they didn't immediately get cancer or change the climate when he vented his AC that it doesn't affect the environment in which we live (no, I don't mean Amazon rainforests or somewhere removed).

Its the idea that you can get away with it because you're one person and one person won't have any effect. BIG problem with that is that if everyone thought like that, life would be pretty ****ty. In effect you're taking advantage of society. That's where I'm raising objection,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help to release the freon from the A/C system